Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help obiwan18 fix his computer

Here's the symptoms.

I have a monitor that seems to be receiving power, but no input from the CPU,

or I have a cpu that will not start when the power switches on. Either happens when I try to restart the computer.

It's not the first time, this has happened, I replaced the battery last summer which seemed to work, but all the other problems cropped up again.

If the computer is too far gone, it's quite old, I am amenable to purchasing a new cpu.

Everything else has been purchased/upgraded over the last few years.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

By CPU, you're referring to the actual computer case thing itself, not the actual CPU, right?

When you turn the power on, do the fans turn on inside the case?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I had a similar problem with a Packard Bell 486 years ago. It was the power supply. Got it replaced, and then a few months later crapped out again. And that's why I'll never buy another Packard Bell anything ever again.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Boris

Not that you could anyway even if you wanted to.
        The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
        Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

When you turn the power on, do the fans turn on inside the case?
          About half the time.

The other half nothing starts up.

When the fans start, the cpu picks up the hard drive, but the monitor does not seem to receive any input.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Check your motherboard for char spots and melted components.

SP
            I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Promethus
              Boris

Not that you could anyway even if you wanted to.
              Yeah, shoulda put that in the past tense...
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I think you have a bad power supply. Unplug everything from the power supply except the MotherBoard (remove all cards from the MotherBoard except the video card) and see if the Puter Boots OK. If so start adding the cards back in and then the drives, booting between every addition. If you get to a certian power load and start having problems then it is likely the Power Supply. Barrow a Power Supply if you can and see if it solves the problem.
                The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
                Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

Prometheus:

I'll give that a shot.

Thanks everyone, including Boris, for their help.

Comment

Seriously, if that's inconclusive then take the motherboard into consideration, too. When I bought my current rig the company sent me a bum mobo and I had problems similar to yours. The monitor got a signal through the video card, the standby power LED was lit, the fans would usually start up, and the hard drive would usually spin up, but it would never POST.

SP
                    I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Seen that too.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Tried turning my computer on again, it now seems to work just fine.

In any case, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X