The NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NHL Thread

I like the NHL about half as much as I like Newcastle United (which means a lot) and I noticed a couple of other folk on Apolyton like it, so how's about an NHL thread.

For a start: I loved watching the Leafs kick the **** out of the p*****s that play for Ottawa last night. I reckon the Sens will go out to the Leafs if they meet them again in the playoffs for the same reason they always do - deep down they're spineless wimps.

Anyway, the referees ruined the game as a sporting spectacle so the fisticuffs kept it interesting (IMHO the Leafs won all the fights). I think it is a bit raw to suspend Domi (that sniper!) for three games for smacking Arvedson in the head. Arvedson slashed him and used his stick in an ungentlemanly fashion: thus he got what he deserved (a broken nose ). As I predicted the Sens were on the sports shows today with variations on "Why'd they do that?" and "The Leafs are so mean.", which just goes to prove that they can't shut up and take it like men.

And the Leafs traded for Owen Nolan, which I think is great. And Jarome Iginla may go to Philly for Simone Gagne, other players and some picks (although I wouldn't trade a fourth round pick and a bag of pucks for Gagne).
    Only feebs vote.

Jarome won't go.......................
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You better pray. Apparently, Sutter is dead against him going but there are rumours.

Anyway, being a Flames fan you must like a good fight. Did you see Tucker pile into the Sens bench?
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Haven't had time to watch any games recently.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Quinn landed a player!

It's a about friggen time. Nolan is a great pick. He's a perfect match for the Leafs (one of the grittiest teams in the league ).

The Leafs are going to turn the Senators into minchmeat if they meet in the playoffs.

With Nolan added, I'd say the Leafs are the favourites to win the East and set to take the Cup!
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Re: The NHL Thread

Originally posted by Agathon
            And Jarome Iginla may go to Philly for Simone Gagne, other players and some picks (although I wouldn't trade a fourth round pick and a bag of pucks for Gagne).
            Don't be so hard on Gagne. He's worth at least a bag of pucks.

What happened to him anyways? Last year he looked great. He did a fine job at the Olympics. This year he seems to have crashed big time.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

As Mr. Rogers would say, "Can you say Dallas Stars?'.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

But what about those Canuckleheads...

Gotta get past them first.

Ottawa's flying pretty high, Agathon. Aren't you worried?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

How about them Wild? Who thought they would ever do so well in only their third year?

Comment

*drools over Gaborik*

Wish I'd picked him. Awesome player.

Do you think he will be better than Kovalchuk?
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Tingkai:

It's a about friggen time. Nolan is a great pick. He's a perfect match for the Leafs (one of the grittiest teams in the league ).
                      If by "grittiest" you mean "dirtiest", then yes, you are correct.

Hitting players on the bench... disgraceful. Tucker should be suspsended for the rest of the season. At least bastards like Marchment leave it on the ice.

Obi:

Ottawa's flying pretty high, Agathon. Aren't you worried?
                      No kidding. Ottawa's ten times the team Toronto is, but they still seem to have problems against the Leafs. Ah well, I hope Ottawa makes it in the east.

As for Vancouver... Why do they have to be so good?! Damn them!

Sloww:

As Mr. Rogers would say, "Can you say Dallas Stars?'.
                      Ah! My most hated team! Well, almost... They're behind Calgary and the Rangers, but about on par with Colorado... But I do like Tugnutt. I hope he makes it for them.

Now, as for the Oilers... We've been slumping lately, yes, but now, with our win over San Jose (and Owen Nolan!), we're turning the corner. .750 from here on in!

If we can get Comrie, Carter, and York (if he recovers well) firing on all cylinders, and if Niinimaa, Staios, and Brewer tighten up the blue line, we may just have a fighting chance!
                      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

LETS GO DE-VILS!

Pat Burns is doing a great job on the swamp this year. Devils are playing good defensive hockey, with Brodeur backstopping brilliantly!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Do you think he will be better than Kovalchuk?
                          Hmmm... Tough call.

They're both promising players, but... Gaborik seems to be falling off the pace a bit as the year goes on... And he's on a much more solid team than Kovalchuk.

Also, Ilya's just a goal-scoring machine, while Gaborik is a bit more of a playmaker... I think Kovalchuk might have a bit on an edge overall, though. He's also willing to rough it up a bit if it's required...

I think I'll say Kovalchuk, because he could be the next Sergei Fedorov...

But there is a slight chance that Gaborik could reach Naslundian heights... He'll need some time, though.

So I say Kovalchuk.

Speaking of which: Atlanta, with Kovalchuk & Heatley, and Hartly behind the bench, is a very interesting team, in my opinion. If Dafoe can get his act together, and they make some wise roster movements and nurture their prospects... They might look pretty promising come next season.
                          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                          "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            LETS GO DE-VILS!

Pat Burns is doing a great job on the swamp this year. Devils are playing good defensive hockey, with Brodeur backstopping brilliantly!
                            Who won tonight's game, Imran?

Comment

There is one reason why Kovalchuck wont' be the next Federov.... he doesn't play defense . It's his main down point. Heatley does play defense from time to time, so he is more liked by the coaching staff .

The main problem with Atlanta is a lack of fan interest.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X