No announcement yet.

Worldwide Living Standards tested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thirteen of the world’s top 30 cleanest cities are in North America, mainly due to their expanse and general lack of congestion. These include Calgary (166), Honolulu (161.5), Ottawa, and Minneapolis (both 154), which feature in the top six, together with Montreal, Vancouver, Atlanta, Boston, Lexington, Pittsburgh, Portland, Washington DC, and Winston-Salem, which all score 145.5 and share 17th position.

LOLOLOL!!! Lack of congestion?! Who did this survey anyway? If it wasn't for LA, Atlanta would be #1 in the US for traffic congestion!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Perhaps Atlanta should have a competent public transit system?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yes, Atlanta should, but it ain't getting one soon. To say there is no congestion here though, it utterly ludicrous.

And Asher, how can you support a study that ranks Ottawa above Calgary?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I only support the environmental index.

Obviously someone forgot that Ottawa is full of politicians, which tanks their score as far as I'm concerned.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Imran, do you really have a problem with reading comprehension? They took an objective measure of air quality through observation of levels of common air pollutants. They aren't saying that traffic congestion was something they measured to get their rating, just that the more congested a city is (not just traffic but in general) the worse air pollution will be.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It seems it was just too much work for him to make a good career over there.

IOW, he couldn't hack the competition.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Holy sh*t. Aren't you going to law school?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Read it again:

Thirteen of the world’s top 30 cleanest cities are in North America, mainly due to their expanse and general lack of congestion. These include Calgary (166), Honolulu (161.5), Ottawa, and Minneapolis (both 154), which feature in the top six, together with Montreal, Vancouver, Atlanta, Boston, Lexington, Pittsburgh, Portland, Washington DC, and Winston-Salem, which all score 145.5 and share 17th position.

Atlanta is included in the group that has a 'lack of congestion'. That's clear as day.

Comment

****, Imran. Read it through again. Then go pound your head against a desk or something to dislodge whatever's blocking your thought process.

The group they listed were NA cities.

NA cities are cleaner, "mainly due to their expanse and lack of congestion".

Does this mean that every NA city which is clean has a lack of congestion?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Does this mean that every NA city which is clean has a lack of congestion?

Actually those words strongly suggest that. Those cities are the cleanest because of their expanse and lack of congestion. However, there are also other factors.

One would think the the most congested city in NA would not be included in a list that said "mainly due to their expanse and general lack of congestion". It's just foolish to do so!

It'd be like saying New York is one of the safest cities in NA 'mainly due to their lack of murders', even though NY has a high number of murders. It'd be utterly silly to say so!

Comment

Only if New York were listed as one of a group of safe cities, most of which were there becuase of lack of murders...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And which had a natural common denominator (like all being part of the same geographic region)
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It'd still be absurd.

If it was said NA cities are safer mostly due to a lack of murders, and you had a bunch of NA cities, and NY in there, it'd be ludicrous.

Btw, I showed the statement to the rest of people around her in library at school, and they all cracked up at using the phrase 'lack of congestion' and 'Atlanta' in the same sentance.

Comment

I was not aware "mainly" meant that all cities listed had to meet that criteria.

And I also don't recall it mentioning traffic congestion, maybe it's referring to general population density? Have you also considered the possibility that maybe even though you think Atlanta's traffic congestion is bad (if that's what they were talking about), it's still nothing compared to major European cities like London?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                It'd be like saying New York is one of the safest cities in NA 'mainly due to their lack of murders', even though NY has a high number of murders. It'd be utterly silly to say so!
                                Except that per capita, NYC does have a low murder rate. You have to factor in the relative size of the city, after all.

Frogger, I'd best not get into it with him...I can give you a link to the vegetarian thread argument I had with him...
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X