No announcement yet.

Ask the Philosophers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the meaning of bipedal reptoids?
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
      At first I thought you meant to pull the wiper off the windshield because it had frozen there overnight. But then I realised you live in Alabama.
      Yeah I no longer have to put up with that crap.

Take off to the great white north! Yeah right! Not in winter thank you very much
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

My friend broke his wiper the other day pulling it off his windshield...

He looked so forlorn with half a wiper in his hand.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
          Ok, here we go.

- SpencerH: check out the manual, page 54.

Believe it or not I'll have to take the damn thing in to my mechanic. How embarrasing! They're probably designed by the sods who design 'child-proof' caps.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Is that one of those cars with two different-sized wiper blades? Whoever came up with that idea ought to be shot.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
              My friend broke his wiper the other day pulling it off his windshield...

He looked so forlorn with half a wiper in his hand.
              Been there, done that, after ruining the damn things you cant use your wipers cos you'll scratch the windshield. Installation at -20C is a ***** too.

Comment

Agathon's not in.
                I'll see what I can do, although remember my major is in history, not philosophy.

John Miller:
                Define the terms. I'm a philosopher, not a physicist.

Asher:

I'd like to know the value of the keyboard. How does it affect the way we live, how does it relate to other input methods, etc
                Ahh. Not bad. I'll frame the question in this way: " Why do we keep QWERTY keyboards in the presence of obviously superior DVORAK designs?"

DVORAK has been shown to improve typing speeds, and worker efficiency, yet the overall majority of keyboards remain QWERTY. The origin postulated for the QWERTY design is to slow typists from jamming keys. Since the development of computer input, said jamming no longer concerns typists or anyone using keyboards. Therefore, the intrinsic advantage of QWERTY boards no longer exists, and we should adopt the DVORAK boards.

Changing the way people time costs time and money, since people take time to change over from one system to another. Would the economic advantages of DVORAK boards overtake the losses due to worker retraining?
                Here's where we need the economist.

If the cost outweighs the benefits for already trained workers, schools should shift to DVORAK boards. Training children to type DVORAK will increase the demand for these new keyboard arrangements with much less worker disruption.

As for other input methods, voice can be comparable in efficiency with typing, especially for slower typers. Faster typers still type faster than the voice recognition records.

There are really no other moral questions as to type of computer input, other than the efficiency of the transmission.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
                Shi, no moral disputes or concerns. Until we know whether woodchucks can or cannot chuck wood, contemplating woodchucks' woodchucking workloads would be foolish.

It is said that we actually do subjectively experience our time faster as we grow older; known as "time just flies by as you get older" - leaving the average halfway point of our lives at 20 years old

By what units do you measure this changing flow?
                Better question Zylka:

Can we measure the flow of time at all? I believe that we move through time, that timeflow is an illusion experienced by our senses.

Time can be pictured as solid block that does not change or alter, but we travel through as we live our lives.

So how do our perceptions change as we age? Why does time seem to speed up? One suggestion is that our body temperature decreases as we get older, and that our bodies compensate for this by speeding up our perception of time.

As for 20 being the halfway point, how old are you Zylka?

Giant Squid:

How and why was the Universe created, and what, if any, were the ramifications of this event?
                Why assumes the existence of a higher being. The big bang seems to be a good explanation for observed characteristics of the universe, with one big assumption, that everything we see is as old as it looks.

Ramifications?
                None. Unless you are a Christian, or believe in an afterlife, then the universe will merely collapse upon itself or expand indefinately without any overall improvement from the initial void.

Nietzche's actually very perceptive compared to most philosophers.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by obiwan18
                  Agathon's not in.
                  I'll see what I can do, although remember my major is in history, not philosophy.

John Miller:
                  Define the terms. I'm a philosopher, not a physicist.

Asher:

Ahh. Not bad. I'll frame the question in this way: " Why do we keep QWERTY keyboards in the presence of obviously superior DVORAK designs?"
                  Very simple: Humans are creatures of habit, everyone knows QWERTY, and it gets the job done just fine (>100wpm doncha know ).

See, all that philosophical junk is rendered useless by one of the most basic human observations.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                    It is said that we actually do subjectively experience our time faster as we grow older; known as "time just flies by as you get older" - leaving the average halfway point of our lives at 20 years old

By what units do you measure this changing flow?
                    When you are 20, the next year represents 5% of what you have already lived, and when you are 40, the next year is only 2.5%. It is like we were subjectively accumulating a stockpile of time, each new piece being smaller than the previous one. At least we feel it.
                    Last edited by DAVOUT; March 2, 2003, 20:08.
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Very simple: Humans are creatures of habit, everyone knows QWERTY, and it gets the job done just fine (>100wpm doncha know ).
                      Asher, I accounted for that. I explicitly said that we need an observation to determine whether the price of upgrading is worth the disruption due to switching systems.

You provided the observation.

Now all the scientists get to attack your brilliant observation.

Not everyone types at 100wpm, you know.

Davout:
                      Interesting.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Giant_Squid
                        How and why was the Universe created, and what, if any, were the ramifications of this event?
                        Ramifications ... Could be :

The universe can be seen as a machine producing something (heavy elements, black holes, some yet unidentified effect, …). Is life contributing to this production, or is it a neutral by-product, or is it the result of a flaw with undesirable effects.
                        Answering this question would determine whether or not life has a destiny.
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

How can I learn to say the phrase "professional philosopher" without bursting into laughter?
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Read philosophy books, and you won't feel like laughing then.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

In the same sense that I don't laugh when I read sci-fi books.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No, more like reading lawyer's briefs.

Still, some philosophers are better writers than others.

Any recommendations Agathon?

Comment

Working...
                                X