X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asher:

Not the whole,
    but the increment.

I ask not whether your beliefs are completely right or correct, but rather whether you can improve your beliefs.

We are human, we can't reach the point of complete consistency, despite what Agathon says.

But we can get more right.

Are your beliefs more right then they were before?

If not, why do you believe what you do?
    Why did you discard your earlier beliefs?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      well. you do beleive in teaching ethics, mainly one of relativism (where the best possible eithcs are those that coincide with your understanding of the world and what you feel like)

Jon Miller
      When did I ever express support for teaching ethics?

I'm just discussing them with people.

I don't believe ethics should be taught in a classroom, aside from rules/regulations for a facility.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Jon, that's the point...that the metric we set on is a personal preference...but that doesn't mean that my ethics mean less to me than somebody who decides on them based on what he believes God wants.

In other words, I don't defend somebody because he acts ethically according to his own set of rules; I judge them on my terms.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

obiwan

what you should ask is if he understands more than before

he ties his ethics straight to his understanding of the world

so if he understands more,t han his ethics are *better*

hmm, Asher, I beleive that you might have a problem

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

When I meet and talk with people from different walks of life (like on Poly, for instance) and learn more about the world in general, my beliefs do change.

Poly has made me more left-wing politically, since I've never really been around people other than well-off upper-middle class before, and I know people from all walks of life here. It's why I support the concept of public healthcare, public education, welfare, etc.
            Surprising. But how did your beliefs change?

Which law of the universe states beliefs must logically agree with eachother? Humans are, after all, not really logical creatures in the first place -- isn't it a large jump to assume all of a human's beliefs must be logically in agreement?
            Ever tried to think of a round square, or tried consistently to hold that doing X is both right and wrong in the very same circumstances? That's why.

You don't have to, it's not my job to change your mind. Believe whatever the hell you want, I really don't care.
            If you don't care what other people think, then why have you spent so much time on this thread? Now that seems vaguely contradictory.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
              Not the whole,
              but the increment.

I ask not whether your beliefs are completely right or correct, but rather whether you can improve your beliefs.

We are human, we can't reach the point of complete consistency, despite what Agathon says.

Are your beliefs more right then they were before?

If not, why do you believe what you do?
              Why did you discard your earlier beliefs?
              I'm confused why you keep talking about "improve", "better", etc. I do not believe there is a moral highbar, somewhere that theoretically even constitutes correct and right.

Knowing that, why do you keep asking me if my beliefs are "more right" than before?

They are simply different.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                Jon, that's the point...that the metric we set on is a personal preference...but that doesn't mean that my ethics mean less to me than somebody who decides on them based on what he believes God wants.

In other words, I don't defend somebody because he acts ethically according to his own set of rules; I judge them on my terms.
                right

but couldn't you take the limit, and in the infinite universe there must be some being/beings that have the ethics of the limit

and couldn't you call those god(s)??

I guess it comes down to what you consider god to be

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why do you think that men should be given opportunity to get out of paying maintenance then? After all, men and women are in different situations - it is hardly as if the man has to endure the physical side of childbearing
                  This question deserves an answer, Frogger. But it can wait. Goodnight.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    No, because there is no correct/right.
                    It's more appropriate to what I know of the world and how I want to live my life.

That in no way equates to correct/right.
                    If you simply believe and don't act upon your beliefs, then indeed, there is no differentiation between right and wrong, you can belive whatever the hell you want. But as soon as you start acting upon your beliefs, here is where life enters the game and corrects your wrong beliefs. If your beliefs are too wrong, you'll simply end up dead.
                    Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

What are "internal senses" by the way?

Memory or feelings related to how we think. There's no guarantee past the fact that there exists some sort of consciousness which is able to form the sentence "I am" and which has a certain set of memories and faculties at this precise instant. Everything else proceeds from assumption; that my memory has some sort of correspondence with reality, that my thought processes follow a certain order, that (proceeding to external senses) my vision somehow corresponds to reality, etc.

It's a long line of assumptions and belief to the idea that there are simple physical laws independant of the observer, the time, and the place are simply a bit further down. In between are things like "the rules of formal logic are self-consistent" and "human beings have a similar conscious existence to my own"...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                        Asher:

[slipping into Julius Caesar mode]

I'm not sure Agathon wants to say that generally speaking (although he might want to leave it open as a possibility). He definitely doesn't think we can reach the point of complete consistency in ethics.

I definitely agree. I think philosophy can help here.

Goodnight for real this time.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          Surprising. But how did your beliefs change?
                          What kind of question is this?
                          My beliefs changed because I met more people, learned more about myself (and others), and thought it's simply more appropriate for how I want the world to be.

Ever tried to think of a round square
                          You're comparing morals and beliefs to mathematical constructs we've devised...do you realize that?

or tried consistently to hold that doing X is both right and wrong in the very same circumstances? That's why.
                          If someone says both X and Y are right AND wrong in the very same circumstances, they're a moron.

This is not the same as saying beliefs must logically agree with eachother, you gave a VERY restrictive and obvious case. What if, for example, one was against killing people, yet would kill someone who just murdered his/her SO infront of them? That's logically inconsistent, but we're humans and driven by emotion...

If you don't care what other people think
                          Well, to be fair, I was saying I didn't care what you believed...

then why have you spent so much time on this thread? Now that seems vaguely contradictory.
                          Because I find it interesting. Doesn't mean I care about what you think to the point of trying to change your mind, I do learn a lot more (not in your favor) by arguing with you about it though.

Comment

as far as my veiws on ethics

I don't think humans can actually know right ethics

we just get glimpses of correct ethics (the no slavery bit was deffinitely a recent glimpse, as is homosexual marriage I currently beleive)

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

This question deserves an answer, Frogger. But it can wait. Goodnight.
                              If you'll notice, the woman still has the final say in "to abort or not to abort"...but the unfair situation that her choice places the man under financial obligation has been removed.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They are simply different.
                                Asher:
                                How are they different?

Jon. You anticipated my next question.

Has your understanding of the world increased?
                                If it has, then you have a very good reason to change you beliefs.

Otherwise, why bother?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X