No announcement yet.

my theory on christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people, I think, don't believe in the Bible and Christian dogma in a very literal sense. But unfortunately, there isn't an organized religious or social institution of people who think there is a higher power, but don't know what it is. "We'renotsurism" doesn't exist. So people flock to churches of organized religion just out of habit. **note this is most people... not all, so don't reply to this saying "blah blah I go to church and I believe blah blah"... my statements never apply to every single person on the planet.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
      I'm not the most religious person around, or the "best Christian" (whatever that means), but I DO know that there are numerous stories of atheists converting to Christianity, and of people of various other religions converting as well.
      Sure, it happens both ways. Personally, I know a few atheists who renounced Christianity after growing up as a Christian.

You remember connorkimbro, right?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You don't have to believe in the bible word for word to be a good christian. You don't have to believe any of it (save that there is a God, and that Christ died for your sins, and was resurrected) is historically accurate.
        You don't have to believe in christianity to live a "christian life". Yes it is a good guide book, but so are many other books out there that preach similar dogmas. Religious beliefs lead to religious practices, yet not all religious practices stem from s religious belief.

But unfortunately, there isn't an organized religious or social institution of people who think there is a higher power, but don't know what it is.
        Ever hear of deism?
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Sure, it happens both ways. Personally, I know a few atheists who renounced Christianity after growing up as a Christian.

You remember connorkimbro, right?
          I take responsibility for that.
          If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Comment

Originally posted by tandeetaylor
            I take responsibility for that.
            Well what do you know?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

active, participating God in the world, based on any of the world religions, it is irrelevent which:

deist, clockmaker God: maybe

no God: maybe

agnostic:
              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

For a long time now, I had renounced the Catholic religion I was raised in, but now I'm considering becoming actively faithful again as an Episcopalian.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

:d:

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Away for a day, and this is what I miss?

Kaak:

I think I can help you answer some of your questions.
                    But there are two things I need to know first.

1. Do you believe in the existence of a God who works miracles in this world?

2. Do you believe in Christ's death and resurrection as a historical event?

This will really help me to get a fix on your worldview.

[Edited for unintended double entendre]
                    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; February 25, 2003, 20:05.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You don't have to believe in the bible word for word to be a good christian. You don't have to believe any of it (save that there is a God, and that Christ died for your sins, and was resurrected) is historically accurate.
                      I believe the bible is a guidebook. It provides lessons for living a moral life that is pleasing to God. It doesn't have to be true, that isn't it's purpose. That said, contradictions don't matter. Fossils don't matter, evolution doesn't matter, etc. I can believe in all of those things, because they are completely irrelevant to faith.

To the letter of your text: I agree with that.
                      That said I must add that I believe the bible completely though.

But indeed, it doesn't matter if you believe that the fish eated Jonas or not.
                      It doesn't matter if you believe that God created heaven and earth in 6 seconds, 6 days, 6 billions of years or completely independant to time.

You nailed it right down to say that the most important part is that you believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died for our sins.

That's not because I believe so, but because the bible several times repeats that.
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Re: Re: my theory on christianity

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

My experience is just the opposite. A number of people I know became religious after a traumatic experience, ranging from the loss of a loved one to physical disabilities.
                        yeah, I think both things happen.
                        Traumatic experiences might change someone's view of life very often.
                        For sure if they never thought something traumatic would happen to them, ie. non-christians who believe that life is all good may be shocked and become christians.

christians who think that nothing will harm them and God will save them for all pain may become atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by devilmunchkin
                          my experience is different too: people are religious because they are spoon fed it their whole lives and by nature, humans hate change.
                          that's oftenly the case indeed.
                          Though be aware that christianity is about personal faith, not the faith of your parents.

Besides that, same counts for atheism, much people don't believe in a god because they are spoon fed it.

Note that there are many people as well who did change though.
                          That people are spoon fed it doesn't make it less true.
                          But I think everyone should be honest to himself and wonder if you believe what you believe because you're spoon fed, or because you really thought about it.

Boshko: That was a little low, but it always confuses me why anyone thinks that the Bible gives an especially interesting, insightful or origonal take on moralty, I'd take the chuang-tze over it any day

I agree with you that the bible is not a moral-values container. Eventhough much people take it that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X