Fair Taxation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goingonit
    Capital gains isn't the same as investment. It turns out to actually be very hard to tax investment itself.
    No, I don't think investment should be taxed, rather, speculations should.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Poor guy: "die rich man!"
      Rich guy: "I'll give you some money if you switch sides, and then more money every year to protect me."
      Poor guy: "sure"
      Thus we get private police forces.
      I refute it thus!
      "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

The poor need the government to protect them from the rich. All the rich need to protect them from the poor is money. Read your friend Marx, he'll explain it.
        The rich depend on the government to maintain and accumulate wealth, without which they are poor. The rich need not only their accumulated capital but the continued acceptance of the wage slavery system by the vast majority of the working class. Without them they have no workers to build things nor consumers to sell them to.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The poor need the government to protect them from the rich. All the rich need to protect them from the poor is money. Read your friend Marx, he'll explain it.
          Marx thinks the state apparatus serves the rich in a capitalistic society. Therefore, it will always hinder the development of communism, thus, the class struggle and violent revolutions.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• bezerker, rich people are treated better under the law because they can afford it. who do you think gets their clients with reduced sentences and hung juries? high priced lawyers that only the rich can afford, or the public defender.

unequal representation under the law is only one example of the inequality between the classes. liberals would like to start equalizing the playing field a bit adn one way to do that is to redistribute the wealth of the nation through government programs that benefit the poor.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• If there was no government to protect the poor, there would be a lot more poor. Then the poor would rise up, stage a revolution, and kill the rich.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Another scenario:

Poor guy: "I quit! I spitin the face of your wage slavery system! Ptuh!"
                Rich guy: "Sure, but your still poor. And I can hold out on my large supply of wealth longer than you can on yours."
                Poor guy:"Good point. Can I work for you again?"
                I refute it thus!

Comment

Poor guy: "die rich man!"
                  Rich guy: "I'll give you some money if you switch sides, and then more money every year to protect me."
                  Which is not as stable as convincing the poor that they're in charge.

If we didn't have governments then the poor would have revolted in 1850. The constant move towards empowering the poor is an inevitable payment the rich have to make to maintain their position. The future of the worker in the West is through the ballot, in the 3rd world through the bullet. They'll both probably get there at the same time.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    Marx thinks the state apparatus serves the rich in a capitalistic society. Therefore, it will always hinder the development of communism, thus, the class struggle and violent revolutions.
                    But he believes the purpose of a communist government should be to protect the poor.
                    I refute it thus!

Comment

Poor guy: "die rich man!"
                      There's only one snag. There are gazillion of poor people and a few rich ones. If the rich gives their money to even half of them, they won't be rich anymore.

Comment

Another scenario:

Poor guy: "I quit! I spitin the face of your wage slavery system! Ptuh!"
                        Rich guy: "Sure, but your still poor. And I can hold out on my large supply of wealth longer than you can on yours."
                        Poor guy:"Good point. Can I work for you again?"
                        Hah. It takes about a second to realise that it's easier to take than to mortgage your life for it.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Duncan -
                          The law treats people differently regardless of the Left. That's why we want fairness.
                          The left has been writing the laws in this country for decades, not libertarians. And this "fairness" you advocate is not about treating people equally, it's about unequal treatment.

Christ, not again with the terms. What is the problem with the terms?
                          The problem is using bogus terms to hide the truth.

Your form of "equality" is not real equality at all, because the lower income groups have a much less disposable income than the rich.
                          Who said anything about "equality", I said people should be treated equally under the law. You disagree...
                          If I am destined to live 60 years, do you think I should be allowed to kill 80 year old people because they have more time than me?

Your theories are the simplest of all. It's just that you can't communicate with people because you have such problems with the terms people use.
                          True, I don't speak Orwelian.

Comment

• To continue the libertarian bashing, why is idea of a prison or justice system justified in a libertarian system? Why is locking people up to insure societal freedom more justified than levying a tax for social welfare to insure societal freedom?

Wow - even Ramo's joining in!
                            Why not? I support the principle of a graduated income tax. It's just that I think it's levying a far, far too large tax.
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

• Going it - Or the poor guy could pick up his gun and kill the rich guy and take his wealth.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

That is not true. You missunderstand Marx. In a capitalist society the governments primary function is to protect property.

I'm not saying that you can make government function in the interest of the poor, but as for the cost of protecting property (which is substantial) the rich should pay for that completely.
                                "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                                "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                                "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                                X