No announcement yet.

Calling film critics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments Buckie, very useful also.
    You raise some good points, and my reading is that your main critisism (along with monolith) is that there just isn't any meaning in it. I won't bother to try and explain the meaning I percieve in the devices I used, as it'd just be bull****ting, other than to say the script meant something to me when I wrote it.

The trouble for me with filmmaking (and any/all creative activites for that matter) is striking a balance between planning it all out and letting my subconcious do its own thing at the same time.

I recently read a quote from Picasso (I think) "I never calculate. That is why those that do, calculate so less accurately than I".

I dig this. Returning to the Aronofsky debate, I'd say he is a calculater through and through. To call him a hack is a bit harsh, methinks, as I believe he is passionate about what he does, but I see him as a technician rather than an artist. I see myself (don't laugh) as an artist, if an aspiring and pretencious one.

And here we come to the difficulty. How do you plan meaning? When I was writing the script I tried to see the film in my mind, and some of the cinematography does reflect that. I tried to be as flexible as possible, I like the Cassavetes/Jazz filmmaking thing where you just let things happen, allow the film to evolve. I don't think there is anything inherantly wrong with this, but that my failure to really connect with the script and the lack of preparation is what made the randomness more crappy. With a better framework I think it would have worked better.

Also, allow me to reiterate that it was planned to be twice as long, so what you end up with is a bunch imagery and iconography slammed together, with no room for the viewer to digest what is going down.

I find it very encouraging that both you and monolith liked the editing and pacing, this is certainly the best thing about it for me. Hell, I'd be happy working as an editor!

The question now is do I spend the next week re-editing a longer, better version (it was edited in 3 days, during which I had to learn the editing software also)
    and redesigning the sound, or put it down to experience and move on?
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Thanks also for the comments Mercator, seems you are largely in agreement with the others.

Allow me to apologise once more for the sound, I know it is terrible, but it is better than nothing. Or maybe it isn't. Hmm.

Yes, the mobile is (unfortunately) supposed to be making that sound, it was the best I could find the afternoon I had to hand the project in.

I did have quite a lot of plans for the sound, just didn't have time in the end. I think a cohesive sound design would really help bring the visuals together, the difference in reactions to the other project I just completed when you see it with and without sound it astonishing.
      Without (decent) sound it is impossible to engage with the mood of a film, as sound just as much as image defines mood.
      I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
      Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

You should give yourself a week of good working time to make a proper short movie, of any order. Take shot after shot in angle after angle, and then use only what works, and what makes sense to you.
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

I should confess that I have no idea why he is lying fully clothed on the bed, supposedly asleep (with a burning cigarette in hand, please note).

Maybe it has something to do with the strange moments when I'm sleep deprived (i.e. most of the time recently) and feel the need to lie down, then just drift into a semi-concious dreamworld. I think that's basically what the film is about to me.

And hey, monolith, don't be knocking my Camry, less I come round there and drive by your place. Man that bass would shake yo house down.

And I do think the long hair is cool. I mean it's a fact, deal with it.
          Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
            You should give yourself a week of good working time to make a proper short movie, of any order. Take shot after shot in angle after angle, and then use only what works, and what makes sense to you.
            I quite agree
            But since I only started the week before it had to be handed in, that wasn't an option. But next time...

And I'll be sure to post the script for the next film I make, I think it'd be good to get some other people's thoughts before shooting. Much like the finished product, everyone I showed the script for A Man Wakes Up lied through their teeth when I asked for opinions/criticism.

Out of curiosity, what sort of films do you count as favourites?
            Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

My favorite films include:
              the thief of bagdad (1924)
              life is beautiful
              brazil
              blade runner
              amelie
              vertigo
              seven samurai
              stuff like that, in general...
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

Hmm, not at all dissimilar to myself... just saw life is beautiful last week, amazing.

You think it's worth rediting it? Having seen the first cut would you bother to d/l a new version?
                Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Working...
                X