Calling film critics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling film critics

You wait 20-odd years to make a film, then two come along...

I've recently disappeared from Apolyton in order to finish the post-production of my first student film project and make another short for my film course (in a state of panic as I'd left it all to the last minute).

I'm finding it very difficult to get anyone to respond even half-honestly about the films... I see lies in their eyes as soon as I ask what they thought.

So I'm wondering if any apolytoners would be willing to d/l a short film from me, and post some comments/critisism.

The second project is the only one I have at the moment as it was made on DV and edited on my computer, but the other is 16mm and I haven't got a video copy yet.

Any takers?

[EDIT: to save anyone interested having to read through the thread, the files can be found here www.planetacol.com/~graag/wakeup.html]

[MORE EDIT: if anyone else wants to do d/l it, I'd be grateful if you could do a little experiment: turn the sound off on the movie and try watching the film whilst listening to music you consider powerful, roughly 3 1/2 to 4 mins worth. I find I enjoy the film a lot more when I turn off the terrible sound and stick Shellac over it. I'd still like more comments/critisism (glutton for punishment) so don't be shy!]
    Last edited by Graag; February 12, 2003, 22:18.
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

I'll go for it, and you can have my COMPLETE honesty
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

*leaps at any chance of doing criticism of just about anything*

I'll do it!
      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Oh, and honesty? I'm brutal, mate. People keep complaining about me, think I'm insensitive and stuff.

Comment

I'm willing to do it.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Back up your criticisms with evidence, Snapcase, and then people will stop mistaking your "criticisms" for pure evil maliciousness.
            Drake Tungsten
            Albert Speer

Comment

me, me....

I'd love to review your film.
              ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                Back up your criticisms with evidence, Snapcase, and then people will stop mistaking your "criticisms" for pure evil maliciousness.
                Evindence of what? I've never seen anyone demanding "evidence" for a review before.

Comment

I'm not willing to do it. I'd probably lie through my teeth.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"I've never seen anyone demanding "evidence" for a review before."
                    Professionally speaking, it's assumed that you'll back up your statements. The reason no one has demanded evidence from you is that we're too kind; we know that if we do, it will tear your hastily constructed arguments apart and make your arguments appear as childish as they are...
                    Drake Tungsten
                    Albert Speer

Comment

How can you back up a statement about Art? Sure, I can present futher analysis of the detail, but I sense it's not really what you're after.

Comment

The irony, of course, is that I'm critiquing your criticism style without providing the evidence I demand of you.
                        What is the evidence? Evidence is form. In poetry, the artform I have most recently been critiquing, we deal with alliteration, rhythm, metaphor, etc. I imagine with music it could be from anything from technical competency, verse structure, rhythm variation, quality of lyrics (which would receive much of the same criticism poetry would), etc. For art, would could analyze originality, coloration, style, any number of things that I could go into if I were an art history major or artist...
                        Drake Tungsten
                        Albert Speer

Comment

So you do want futher analysis of detail. And because I use a different language, one of hooks and layers and production techniques rather than verses and lovingly crafted melodies you're deeming me childish.

Strange, almost everyone else seems to harp down on me for being to technical.

Comment

Oh, I know what hooks and layers are - I do have a father who was a music major, and all...
                            It's just I think you're to dissmissive of other music, without really getting into it. It's like you use two different criterias for different types of music, and those two cirterias are for the music you like, and that which you don't.
                            Drake Tungsten
                            Albert Speer

Comment

Do you have any evidence for this allegation?

Comment

Working...
                              X