Where Do Natural Rights Come From?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Do Natural Rights Come From?

... assuming there is no God, of course (if there is, that makes this a very simple question ).

Where do these natural rights spring? Locke describes these rights as simply arising when people remove themselves from the State of Nature. The question that results is: aren't these rights formulated by what amounts to democratic election? And if so, then what makes them so important?

I can somewhat accept the idea that rules in the forumlation of society create the foundation of society and thus those rules must continue to be followed, but should this be the case? Should not the foundation be amendable?

However, what was the formulation of society? Can we trace it back? We can definetly trace back formulation of countries and states, but nations is incredibly hard to determine. If we do not know the status of societal formation, then how would we know the foundational rules?

Are not the 'natural rights' simply formulations that elite groups have made in the past for the promotion of their own rights? Since those groups have power, what they believe to be the 'best' rights was made to triumph over what others believed to be better rights.

Can anyone explain to me where natural rights sprang from and why those natural rights should be followed?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Hark, me thinks me see David Floyd approach! And lo, his faithful companions, Bezerker and Ramo!

But wait, here cometh their archnemesis, the villain loinburger! Booooooooo!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Is anything man-made 'natural'? If not, then why should rights be considered 'natural'? It seems to me that the term 'natural rights' was just made up to make whatever rights that were being asserted seem more important.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

"Natural rights" comes from the minds of thinkers. In other words, there are no such things. All rights are man-made.

I'm agreeing with Caligastia.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

And me, che, and me .

Though instead of simply 'man-made', I'd assert all rights are government-made. Declared rights are for naught unless embraced by the elites or the masses, depending on the type of governmental system.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A mystycal garden tended by the Illuminati.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

... assuming there is no God, of course (if there is, that makes this a very simple question ).
              -Imran

No one cares for Aquinas?

I'll say that without the concept of God it is impossible to have Natural Laws applicable to everyone.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The minds of those who don't give a hoot if people suffer in poverty.

Well, you asked...
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

there are natural rights goddamn it! Taking a p*ss for example....
                  eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Your mom
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                      I thought that I felt my ears burning...
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                        I thought that I felt my ears burning...
                        I get the same thing, but that's usually from the fingernail marks.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

A mandate from the masses...

Seriously, "Natural Rights" are only ideas that most people in a society agree are necessary. For example there are/wre tribes of cannibals and presumably they did not think there was a "natural right" to life, so there wasn't.
                          I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                          New faces...Strange places,
                          Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                          -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Hark, me thinks me see David Floyd approach! And lo, his faithful companions, Bezerker and Ramo!
                            You put me on the wrong side of the debate.
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

I get mine from Publix.

Oh wait....that's Natural Light....

-=Vel=-
                              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X