Chicago - another bad film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    Maybe you have a bad sense of humor then?
    Maybe he just has the sense to dislike musicals, whether they're tongue-in-cheek or not?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
      Maybe he just has the sense to dislike musicals, whether they're tongue-in-cheek or not?
      While Chicago isn't a particularly great musical, it's silly to dislike it because one didn't find the characters sympathetic. It's like hating a gripping horror movie because there wasn't enough comedy in it.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I didn't read his review; I just wanted to take the opportunity to register my hatred of musicals.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I didn't read his review; I just wanted to take the opportunity to register my hatred of musicals.
          Musicals come in a wide variety. Fiddler on the Roof is one of the best movies ever made, musical or not. And there are the quasi-operatic ones like Sweeney Todd that I have both popular and artistic appeal.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Any movie with singing and dancing is terrible before it begins, and can only redeem itself by not singing and dancing.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Musicals come in a wide variety. Fiddler on the Roof is one of the best movies ever made, musical or not. And there are the quasi-operatic ones like Sweeney Todd that I have both popular and artistic appeal.
              What are you, some sort of homosexual musician?

Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

ned, maybe you should start watching disney movies where good does win, always
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                  ned, maybe you should start watching disney movies where good does win, always
                  The problem with movies like this is that there is noone in the film one can identify with, feel good about or feel bad about. There is no hero or anti-hero. The people are all loathesome.

I read a few reviews that did discuss the marked distinction between the play and the movie. The play appeared to be funny. The movie is not.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

most people are loathesome...
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

And most movies with ordinary people are loathesome, what's your point?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Alright, maybe you guys are right.

I really liked the two Mel Gibson movies this year: One was We Were Soldiers. The other - I forget the name - was about an alien invasion. Mel played a "former" priest.

In both movies, Gibson was a hero. Hardly loathesome at all.

BTW, both Gibson movies are far better than any nominated for the Golden Globes, IMHO.
                        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

the other movie was "Signs"
                          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                          Drake Tungsten
                          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                          Albert Speer

Comment

We Were Soldiers was great, Signs was...ugh.

Comment

Can't comment on the book, but I always took those comments aimed at Exley with a grain of salt. Promotions aside, he still completely exiled himself from help within the department by turning rat- I always saw him as doing it because it was the right thing, darn it, and he was just clever enough to be sure he got some advantage out of it. This is something that I can very much relate to- pretending to do something for an "advantage" that really isn't much of one when really doing it because I think it's right. Heck, in a silly videogame (Metal Gear Solid 2), I always kill as few terrorists as possible, and justify it to myself with the advantages it gives (like the fact that the tranq gun is silenced, and the guards freak out less if they don't find dead bodies but merely sleeping ones), but it's really because I don't want to kill them.
                              All syllogisms have three parts.
                              Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

we should send snowfire to iraq. we need more humanitarian saddam busting machines!

Comment

Working...
                                X