The War in Iraq Thread (post here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willem

Bush has this distinct knack for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Same with Rumsfeld. If the two of them had been the least bit adroit at dealing with other nations throughout this situation, they wouldn't find themselves in nearly as big of a mess as they are now. Much of the resistance from other nations has more to do with the way they've handled things, than with the issues themselves.
    To some extent, I agree with you. Bush started this with the simple statement that he had decided the Iraqi regime had to go. At that time, he hadn't presented any evidence of Saddam's continuing WoMD programs other than his expulsion of inspectors.

He should have started with a demand that the inspectors return with a toughened mandate. That would have be universally supported, I beleive. Saddam then would have pissed the world off with his defiance. France would have then been leading Europe to ask the US to lead a coalition, etc., to disarm Saddam.

Yeah, it could have been handled better.

The more Bush listens to Blair and to Powell, the more effective he is.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

It's only been 12 years since the last war, we need 8 more before the war weariness wears off.....

I can just hear the Civ III pop see all those American cities billowing flames and smoke as soon as the war starts.....

Pentagenesis for Civ III
      Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
      Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

To some extent, I agree with you. Bush started this with the simple statement that he had decided the Iraqi regime had to go. At that time, he hadn't presented any evidence of Saddam's continuing WoMD programs other than his expulsion of inspectors.

He should have started with a demand that the inspectors return with a toughened mandate. That would have be universally supported, I beleive. Saddam then would have pissed the world off with his defiance. France would have then been leading Europe to ask the US to lead a coalition, etc., to disarm Saddam.

Yeah, it could have been handled better.

The more Bush listens to Blair and to Powell, the more effective he is.
        My point exactly. If he wouldn't have started rattling the sabres right off the bat, and instead increased the presssure over time, then the other nations would have been much more willing to go along. And he certainly hasn't helped matters any with his "you're either for us or against us" rhetoric. Essentialy there's no disagreement, Saddam must be dealt with. No one's really arguing that point. It's just a matter how.

But to give him credit, he was kind of forced into the situation. And you're right, he is getting better at it. I'm glad he's not getting all ballistic about NK. But I don't think he'll ever be a good diplomat. Both he and Rumsfeld should just shut up and let Powell do the talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
          Now, others here have said that these demostrations do not reflect the opinion of the average German or Frenchman. But even if that were once true, it seems that it no longer is true. It appears the average German or Frenchman has a strong dislike for the current Republican president.

What this means is that anti-Republicanism has spread beyond the far left.
          oh, yes, you're right. it's waaaay beyond our far left disliking your current president. mainly due to his actions and words, but also because of the -from european view- idiotical administration:
          - ashcroft seems to be a cristian fanatic who forces his people to pray with him every morning. he also is ready to give up some of the points on your bills of rights... scary to me to be honest.
          - cheney brings up this energy plan which seems very very suspicious that he's just supporting the energy industy (drill up whole of alaska for oil. same in the national parks and reservoirs. build loads of nuclear power stations.). imho he'd like to claim antarctica and drill there too...
          - rumsfeld is saying some things about germany and france which you just shouldn't say. only because germany doesn't support the war, you shouldn't go comparing it with lybia and cuba. we don't compare america with the taliban regime... and both use the death penalty... (someone in germany on the right wing actually recently said that they are worried that something's not right with his head )

i don't remember back so far to ike, richie and gerald. but i do remember daddy bush and RR in his 2nd legislature. both were criticised here too, but nothing like W has to hear.
          maybe we've all shifted to the left, maybe you've all shifted to the right, or maybe dubya is doing something really wrong
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            Dear Chris 62

There's always one completely humourless and lobotomized twit online at any one point in time. Right now it's you.
            It's amazing, you call someone on how stupid they are, and then they say it's you.
            You really are that stupid, thanks for clearing that up!

If you think I'm seriously suggesting that Bush and Blair are poofs rather than posting a rude and amusing fake photo for the delight of others, then you need your head examined.
            And why would ye be posting a ude and fake picture laddy?
            Metninks ye doth protest to much.

I take it you are the sort of guy for whom emoticons were invented.
            ?

Physilogically, all members of the speices homo-sapein have emotions, or don't ye know that laddy?

Probaly not, ye do seem to be slow on the up-take.
            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

For those that were too lazy to look for it...

*bump*

And if you look, you will see that there are many other threads to choose from as well...
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                For those that were too lazy to look for it...

*bump*

And if you look, you will see that there are many other threads to choose from as well...
                I started looking for AH, but then thought, "If he's too lazy to look, why should I?"

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

It cost 500 posts to find this crap thread.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I was trying to link it for you when Mark locked that thread in mid-post.

ACK!

Comment

• This is Ming's idea of lack of bias?
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Actually, it shows me a lack of bias, since you are able to spam...er post in the Civ 2 MP forum without getting PCRs.

ACK!

Comment

• Markos must have been having a really awful day.
                          He needs to get some, you know, to take the edge off.

AH, I feel for ya guy. You didn't deserve that imo. Unfortunatly mo don't mean jack **** right about now. You walked right into it and wham!

I give any mod who can do it the ok to give AH 500 of my posts.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Yes... Horsey walked right into it. I guess Mark is as sick of the "games" as I am.

If you don't like this thread, I'm sure you can find another Iraq thread... Lord knows there were enough of them...

Now get back on topic...
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Ming:

i find catch all threads on a topic such as Iraq or the middle east inevitably become too generalized, i prefer threads that focus on a spefic sub-topic. An example would be the discussion GEpap and i had on the question of the massacres at Halabja. We actually managed to increase what we knew about halabja, without getting into oil, hegemony, Bushs dumbness, cheese eating surrender monkeys, cowboy texans, or other distractions.

I realize that the sub topic threads sometimes also degenerate, but i think the chance of having a useful discussion is higher on them (depending on how they start) than for the general threads. And when they are too narrow and no one is interested they tend to die a natural death (as witness the two threads i started on afganistan yesterday)

LOTM
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• It's not so cool though when you look at the first page and they are all war threads though.
                                "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                                "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                                "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                                X