No announcement yet.

Paying For Uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! I forgot...I am going to be "paying for uni". In June Dolores and I start paying $20 a month for a poor young Filipino guy to go to college. He helps his parents at their sari sari store down the street from us. It's got a cool place to sit and have a cold one. Corner place that catches the breezes. Nice kid.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I don't know about money making disciplines. I wouldn't swap doing ancient philosophy for any of them - it is simply a more interesting job.

As for the money - I am one of those people who makes a very bad consumer. Short of a computer, books and a good hi fi I don't want anything else - don't give a damn about clothes or cars or where I live.

Anyway, what's the point of being rich enough to afford the latest Quad system if you are only going to play Britney on it (having failed to spend college cultivating your tastes).
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

I agree. I am not much of a materialist, my problem is, I need to feel productive.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And yet you still post on Apolyton

Comment

Hehe, funny man
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Mike, what's wrong with sponsorship?
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Well the example I gave earlier was when you get a conflict of interests between a big sponsor and a university's research. For instance an oil company sponsoring a chemical engineering department.

There are positive aspects to that as well of course.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

At least then the uni is researching things relevant to making people more prosporous.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Sure. But they could be researching something that would make different people more prosporous, for instance alternatives to oil based fuels.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

• Who says they aren't.
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Do you really think that there is no situation when a sponsor can't influence the research direction of a uni? What and damage their sponsor's major source of revenue?
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

• I think a sponsor CAN influence a university's research, and when it does it can only be for the better.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• You are either extremely naive or have an extremely limited imagination then.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

• How can it not benefit?
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• By persuading a department to send its research in a way which is not against the company's interests but which might be stopping the university researching something which could be beneficial to society as a whole.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X