Paying For Uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
    Well I am still waiting for that return on investment. University guarantees you nothing, in hindsight, I'd have probably been better off if I hadn't gone, I'd have been in a better financial position now. And I went to a very prestigious university, so figure that out
    Maybe if you had to pay for it instead of the government, you would have taken it more seriously. Or would have not gone and wasted the resources.

Comment

Hey, I have wasted no resources, I have been looking hard for a job but to no avail, as you have been briefed about on poly on many occasions...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Hey, I have wasted no resources,
        You got an education that was not useful. This cost money.

I have been looking hard for a job but to no avail, as you have been briefed about on poly on many occasions...

Not relevant to this discussion.

Comment

I thought the general idea was that a society benefits from a highly educated populace?
          "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
          - Lone Star

Comment

Hey, my education is 'supposedly' in high demand (biochemistry), as biotechnology is a thriving area. I have not been able to utilise my background or qualifications to any use in getting a job within this field. Am I supposed to be the one to feel guilty when no one will employ me despite having made 'the right decisions' from both a personal and economic point of view? No.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm also very perplexed that proponents of meritocracy would want a discriminatory education system. All our experiences with such things (ie. the times before public education) have resulted in a very decidedly non-meritocratic society.
              "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
              - Lone Star

Comment

You need to move south to get into biotech. Companies down here screaming for people.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Ah, the injustice. In my day there were no tuition fees and I got a Student Grant.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I still don't get it why Richard hasn't found a job. Biotechs are like shrooms, and unlike dot-coms they have an actual financial plan.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

There are few Biotech jobs in the north.

There are jobs in the south, but that's little comfort if you can't afford to live there.

Comment

Hey, my education is 'supposedly' in high demand (biochemistry), as biotechnology is a thriving area. I have not been able to utilise my background or qualifications to any use in getting a job within this field. Am I supposed to be the one to feel guilty when no one will employ me despite having made 'the right decisions' from both a personal and economic point of view? No.
                        1. God, you sound so pathetic. As if somebody owes you a living because you got a masters in biology. Make something happen. Quit expectiong the world to take care of you.

2. My point was that maybe you wouldn't have gone into an ill-suited program if you had to pay for it yourself (get loans, have parents mortgage house, etc.). Maybe you would have been more likely to see it through when you got into it. Maybe you would have inspected it more closely before getting into it. No gaurantee of course. But people tend to take things mroe seriously when their own money is on the line. It's human nature.

Comment

And Rich. I totally wish you the best in getting a job. Move if you need to. You live in a country the size of my state. Don't be a homebody. You're young. You can move. Probably move in right next to your first girlfriend. Life has a way of doing funny things like that. Happened to a buddy of mine. Now he's married with a passle of kids.

Comment

Christ, give him a break, GP. Were you savaged by a student as a child, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                              Christ, give him a break, GP. Were you savaged by a student as a child, or something?
                              I went to the Naval Academy! You learn to be a little brusque. But no British boys schools buggery.

Anyway, I wish Rich the best and hope this doesn't turn into a "let's analyze Rich thread". Maybe it's my fault, since I took it in that direction.
                              Last edited by TCO; January 22, 2003, 18:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                                There are few Biotech jobs in the north.

There are jobs in the south, but that's little comfort if you can't afford to live there.
                                what is the distance like, can he commute?

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X