No announcement yet.

Paying For Uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, all the Brits are whining while I'm wondering how I'm going to pay my current debt of ~$50k, never mind what the total is going to be once I'm done. This is including $12k a year in scholarships.

You Limeys have it easy.
    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

To be fair PH, if you moved south and got a job at a biotech place you'd be able to afford to live down here. The Biochem companies are totally disproportionately based in the south east.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Is he actually unwilling to move the 300 km or whatever? You have to go where the opportunities present themselve, PH...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cost of living is hugely different over those 300km though.

He might be more up for a move when he has sorted his head out.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Basically it all boils down to "who pays?"

The choices are

1 The student studies now and pays later.

2 The parents pay now.

3 The government pays and raises the money through taxation of people who may or may not have benefited from grants etc. in the past.

I dropped out of university before completing a degree (in the days when all the fees were paid and they gave you some grant towards living costs) but I have paid enough in taxes since not to feel guilty about it.

In the UK we rarely pay for anything out of one pot of money and don't seem to have a consensus on how to pay for this one.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Nice extraction of the argument Cerberus. I'd go for choice 1 - it's the fairest way for sure.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Everyone benefits from having a well educated workforce who are all paying more tax because they are producing more than they would otherwise have done.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

"Everyone benefits from having a well educated workforce who are all paying more tax because they are producing more than they would otherwise have done."

No one is denying this.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

So consider it a government investment in future tax dollars.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

While the country/government benefits somewhat from my obtaining a degree, I benefit more. It's only fair that I (not my parents) pay towards the cost of it as well.
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

You will, with your future tax dollars.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Then you are offering a tax break for those who go to university.

For ****'s sake, stop repeating the ****e that has spilled out earlier in this thread and read the Times article.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

So? Uni students are doing something positive but are not payed for it. The tax break relative to those who earned the same amount but who didn't go to Uni is in recognition of this.

Jesus, Bod's are you always this dull or do you just enjoy being a tortoise to my hare?
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Absolutely. The government is making a brilliant investment in the future of the country by paying for higher education and the best thing is that the students benefit as well!

I read the Times article. Thought it missed a lot of major flaws, including the one Boddies still hasn't addressed of the impartiality of research.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Impartiality of research? Explain.
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X