No announcement yet.

Paying For Uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually from this thread, we've had several examples showing that its not always a good investment. Also that it tends to encourage people into unsuccessful degree attempts.

the "universtity degree = good" is a big load of crap. Most often spewed by people interested in having a taxpayer-funded education since they are "helping society" by sucking up that free education. Booshwa. Bunch a lazy poofs.

Comment

Yeah, if Rich was paying for his degree, he'd get a better quality one and doubtlessly wouldn't have dropped out after a couple of unhappy months.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Easy...stud.

1. The argument holds for a group. You don't know about individual cases.

2. He was there more than a few months. The Ph.D. can be a hard slog.

Comment

I am vaguely worried because I'm planning on doing the same, or very similar, degree to what Rich did. I love ya hun but you aren't exactly an inspiring role model for future biochemists. :-)

Of course, the circumstances are different:
          1) I live closer to the South-East and have no qualms about moving.
          2) I'm a good many years away from my PhD and a lot changes in that time.
          3) I am the Starchild and the Destiny of Heaven bends to my Will.

Though i don't think the last one would look that great on my CV.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
            Impartiality of research? Explain.
            Read my posts.

Private universities in the US get sponsored in addition to students paying for their education. This can have an affect on what they research.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
              Yeah, if Rich was paying for his degree, he'd get a better quality one and doubtlessly wouldn't have dropped out after a couple of unhappy months.
              Let's get a few things clear here Stew:

(1)PhDs are a completely different kettle of fish. It would cost them a lot more to employ a research assistant to do the work than a PhD student grant, which they get help off with as well.

(2)The department I worked in tried to cut as many financial corners with my PhD as they possibly could. Including poor supervision, facilities and equipment. I left not due to the fact that I couldn't do the research, but it was actually impossible for me to actually get anything done with the conditions.

I was not an undergraduate like you Stew, I actually worked, but when you are getting nothing back in return and no assistance or feedback, when you feel like you are fumbling in the dark, then you are bound to get very pissed off, as I did, and left. Quite frankly Stew I have explained this to you enough times, and I don't expect to hear you spouting this crap.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

IMHO very few people should be allowed to go to a university. The reasons why are amply given by this guy

I teach at university and he's largely right (and I, like him, get very good ratings as a teacher - so its not that). Most of the students just aren't interested in anything other than themselves and their grades.

Most people should go to polytechnics where they will receive job training which they should pay for. This has nothing to do with the social benefit of having very bright people conduct distinterested inquiry into such subjects as philosophy, classics, history and English lit. The very bright should be accepted into a university and not have to pay a cent - society gets full value out of these people and they get very little in return.

The present system of using universities as glorified job training centres is killing them as the students gravitate towards the "money making" disciplines. More to the point, most politicians are now ignorant pigs (this means you GWB) who have no idea of what they are doing with tertiary policy.

So there....
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

The private school next door has two Irish girls, and they were talking about the Irish system, which sounds great.

In fact, there is a lot to like about Ireland: great political system, great education system, great health care, low crime, low unemployment...

If only the Irish needed to learn English....
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

If only the Irish needed to learn English....
                    Ever been there?

;D
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

An interesting point Agathon. I would have been one of those people who would 'make it' to university in the system you describe, and I had the interest in my subject too, but I found that the nature of the system beat any interest out of me. You are amply rewarded by gravitating towards those money-oriented disciplines. I didn't do that, and feel that I have had a raw deal compared to some of my friends who were less altruistic. So what is the right thing to do? I ask myself this now. If you try and do the right thing, there are so many who will take advantage of that.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There is a guy that works in building mainenance at the mega store I work at. He gets $10+/hr polishing floors, cleaning crappers, and I figured he was doing fairly well...I got talking to him and he's still living w/ his parents, why? "Because I have alot of bills" Bills? How can you have bills if you're living with your parents?

"College loans"
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Well he sounds in a similar situation to me (same pay although my job isn't quite as bad as that), I am still plagued with debt but I can put it off more easily that he can.
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

It's unfortunate. If he had found out that college wasn't for him before he had incurred all those bills then he wouldn't have the dragging debt...it really holds him back. I feel for you guys.

I don't know if college was for me, I'll never find out. My family situation when I was young was too insane for any good to come of it. I joined the army and had to work right away on getting out...25 years ago. Been working ever since...BUT...I didn't have to carry a big debt right away, college or otherwise, and that allowed me to get into a house fairly quick. That house I bought for $65,000 and sold for $172,000 five years and alot of sweat later...

Unfortunately since I didn't go to college, or finish high school, I'm not too smart... Just fairly well off, and never had to kiss anyones ass I didn't find terribly cute.

Not a bad life. Provost, what I know of you I think you will do well in ways that alot of people will never understand.

Please excuse the frigging life story, I don't know what got into me.

Comment

Well it's very hard to see what is going on with my life. At least now I have the ability to challenge my negative thoughts on the matter, but it is still rather bewildering.

Life can work out perculiarly sometimes, you never know where it is going...
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Sunshine, cold beers, a pretty girl...

Life is easy once it's put in simple terms.

Comment

Working...
                                X