What is Southern Culture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll tell you... wonderful food!

The best BBQ you'll ever eat, and lord, they've been hiding Sweet Tea from us Northerners! It's almost unfair that they've been hording that sweet ambrosia .

I also find Southerners generally more polite. However, the more *ahem* 'traditional' types have problems with women in positions of authority.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      I'll tell you... wonderful food!

The best BBQ you'll ever eat, and lord, they've been hiding Sweet Tea from us Northerners! It's almost unfair that they've been hording that sweet ambrosia .

I also find Southerners generally more polite. However, the more *ahem* 'traditional' types have problems with women in positions of authority.

Comment

I beg to disagree. We have always been pleased to allow our women to assume the top position and express their passions forcefully.

We just don't consider it polite to arm wanton women with dildos. Northern men may tend to enjoy having their femine side exploited thusly, or so the rumor goes, but in the South we do hold a more the traditional view on that subject.

Comment

Comment

Double and Triple first names

Peggy Sue
            Bubba Bo bob etc.

Zahamm!

Comment

Southern culture is a way of life. Honor, family, love of country, southern heritage, genuine hospitality and southern cooking. At least that what it was when I was living in Tennessee, Florida, and Texas.

Yankees like point to the hillbillies and laugh in an effort to feel superior, all the while conveniently forgetting their own backwards relatives and latent racism. I like to say that Southerns may be hicks, but Yankees are a bunch of Icks.
              "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
              —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Jimmytrick -- I read that book twice, and found it good reading.

Racism was not exclusive to Southern states.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Alright, the main difference I've noiced down here is the politeness, a genuine set of manners on folks. Women aren't necessarily more feminine, but they say hunny, sugar, sweetheart (and various diminutives of those), etc. Makes a Northern man right crazy.

As for food, well, it's not much different from MidWestern food, 'cept fer grits, homeny, okra, and greens. Best BBQ in the country comes from Southern Illinois (according to national BBQ cook-offs), which despite being the Southern part of the state is still technically part of the North (though you wouldn't know it by bein' there).

A sense of tradition? What the hell does that mean? Do you mean there are Southern traditions (aside from the obvious stereotypes) or rather that Southerners do things a certain way just cuz that's the way things have always been done.

I suspect the latter, cuz there's a definate weight of history down here. It's as oppressive as an August night. There's a mythological history, and there's a history of terrorism, and the former only barely covers the latter. This definately seperates them from the rest of Americans, who are always looking forward, not back. Southerners are kinda old world in this sense.

I want an answer more tangible than that. What is it that makes Southerners so proud of themselves? Why do they think of themselves as a distinct group at all? The rest of the nation doesn't. It's like there's America and the South, and sometimes you're with us and sometimes you aren't.

It's gotta be more than an accent and deep fried ham hocks, more than cotton and lynchings, more than the evil "lost cause."
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Re: What is Southern Culture?

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Heck, just what the hell is "Southern Culture?"
                    Thrush.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Things definitely change more slowly there; it's a much more Anglo-Saxon society if you know what I mean. There have been fewer recent immigraints and fewer outside influences so the whole places has a much more WASP feel to it.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughn, the mint julep, "Yall".

All valuable contributions to civilization.
                          What?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                            He lives in Florida, Dino. Jacksonville, even.
                            Che: If you live in Florida what were you doing in Chicago for New Years? Did you fly all the way to Illinois just to go to Ming's party?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                              Stevie Ray Vaughn, the mint julep, "Yall".

All valuable contributions to civilization.

You forgot William Faulkner, Tennessee Williams, Tom Robbins, T. C. Boyle, John Kennedy Toole, Delta Blues, Jazz, Elvis.

edit: rock and roll
                              "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                              —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

And YOU forgot Monster Truck Rallies and the 1996 Olympics!

Comment

Working...
                                X