Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical: what if the Meiji Restoration failed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical: what if the Meiji Restoration failed?

The Meiji Restoration, some of you may know, is a series of events that occurred in Japan that ended the rule of the Shogun as the virtual ruler and triggered rapid industrialisation of the country.

What if it failed, and Japan remained a feudal country, divided and mostly agrarian? How would that alter the course of history?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

we might not have to put up with that amine **** today...
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

No Anglo-Japanese alliance in 1896.

Russia conquers Manchuria and Hokkaido, due to lack of Japanese expansion. Perhaps Korea as well.

Insular Bakufu forced to comply with British, and other European demands for trade, and treaty ports same as China.

No 1905 rebellion in Russia against the Tsar, probably no Communist revolution in 1917. I'l hypothesise a flourishing Duma and eventual constitutional monarchy.

I'm not sure about the first world war- maybe without Japan, and a stronger Russia, Britain stays out, lets Germany/France/Russia and Austria Hungary duke it out.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

without the 1905 'revolution' there wouldn't have been a duma
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
          Russia conquers Manchuria and Hokkaido, due to lack of Japanese expansion. Perhaps Korea as well.
          Unlikely. Russia would not be able to bring in sufficient troops and supplies to do so, not until modern technology and a trans-Siberia railroad.

Insular Bakufu forced to comply with British, and other European demands for trade, and treaty ports same as China.
          Just because the Restoration failed didn't mean Bakufu would still be around.

No 1905 rebellion in Russia against the Tsar, probably no Communist revolution in 1917.
          Why not?

I'm not sure about the first world war- maybe without Japan, and a stronger Russia, Britain stays out, lets Germany/France/Russia and Austria Hungary duke it out.
          I was thinking more along the lines of WWII actually.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

"Unlikely. Russia would not be able to bring in sufficient troops and supplies to do so, not until modern technology and a trans-Siberia railroad. "

No Meiji restoration, no Russo-Japanese war in 1905.

Russia was aggressively settling Sakhalin.
            Not a big leap from Sakhalin to Hokkaido. The only reason the Japanese ever controlled Hokkaido was after the Meiji, and some of the land reforms. No Meiji, I don't see Japan expanding to Hokkaido.

How many troops does Russia need to take over Korea and Manchuria in 1905, or earlier, like late 19th century?
            I don't state when Russia would expand, but I think with a weak China and weak Japan, Russia would expand into the far east at some point.

"Just because the Restoration failed didn't mean Bakufu would still be around."

Why not? What other alternative government do you see in Japan?

No Russo-Japanese war, you don't get any 1905 'revolution' and subsequent crackdown and reforms by the government.

What effects would losing this 1905 revolution have on the government, on Russian strength for the first world war?

What effects would the Anglo-Japanese alliance absence have on the British?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

What if it failed, and Japan remained a feudal country, divided and mostly agrarian? How would that alter the course of history?

Japan would've remained backwards and the ***** of the West, like China did...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That's some serious speculation material !

First, the shogunate would have been forced by both external and internal pressures to modernize, but it would have been reluctant to do it, and Japan's modernization would have been extremely slow, like China's.
                Japan would have not been associated to WW1, and its industry would have been scarce by WW2, as no ruler would have sacrificed the whole agriculture as Meiji did. However, there would have been more industry than in China, since years of isolation and internal trade had accumulated huge capital reserves, and Japanese commercial methods were quite efficient. In all cases, Japanese economy wouldn't have been completely dependant of Europe unlike China's.

Incidentally, WW2 might have never been called "World War" as Japan would have played a nearly useless role, being under control of the most influencial European countries there (probably NL).
                Without Pearl Harbor, the US might have remained isolationsitic for a longer time during WW2, until it realized that USSR progresses are too threatening. USSR might have taken whole Germany and Greece because of such a lag, and maybe Italy would have known some Soviet occupation.
                After the war, Japan may have struggled against western influence, maybe through an important communist party. Had Japan and Germany been part of the Soviet Empire, the USSR might still be around today.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Of course, if there were no revolution in Russia, the Soviets would not be there to aggresively expand into the rest of Europe, and in fact with a stronger Russia, germany and Austro-Hungary would have surrendered sooner, leading to less oppressive reparations, and quite possibly no Hitler -- and therefore, no WWII for a still isolationist United States to get involved in. Certainly no cold war. Colonialism would probably still hold sway.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

[Actually, it did fail. Its stated purpose was to restore the Emperor to power. That never happened.]

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                      [Actually, it did fail. Its stated purpose was to restore the Emperor to power. That never happened.]
                      Okay, if you look at it that way. However, it did industrialise Japan and end feudalism, which are far more important.

Comment

No Meiji means no Toyotas or other Japanese cars plus the allies would never have had to fight against the Japanese in the Pacific.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's a rather simplistic view. The sonno joi movement was never meant to give the emperor absolute power, a power the emperors had been lacking for over a millenia. The constitutional monarchy that resulted was perfectly in line with the purposes of the sonno joi movement.

At any rate, the support for the emperor was not much more than a rallying cry, a means of gaining support against the Tokugawa. Modernization was the most important goal of the Satsuma and Chosu leaders, not the restoration of the emperor.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X