No announcement yet.

This is hilarious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best Screw Ever - Get your mind out of the gutter... I'm talking about the Robertson screw, a type of screw I'd never even remotely heard of before moving north to Canada. In the U.S., there were always flat/straight/slotted/(pick your term) screws and Phillips screws (otherwise known as "that's the one with the criss-cross on it, right?) and more recently the Torx screws with their star-like pattern. But the Robertson square head?

So then we buy a house in Ottawa (2 years ago) and find that many things are held in by this screw with a square impression in the head. Huh?

Yes, indeed, a different type of screw. So I went out and bought a new set of Robertson screwdrivers (#1 with a green handle, #2 with a red handle and #3 with a black handle) and the associated bits for my drill.

And after another weekend of doing projects where I was working with various different types of screws, I am so far down the road of being a Robertson convert... I never want to go back! My crusade now is that if I make any changes to the house, I try to do it completely with Robertson screws. Goodbye, slotted... goodbye, Mr. Phillips...

It is such a vastly superior screw! Easy to go in... easy to remove. You can't really strip the heads. Plus, you can put a screw on the end of the screw driver and it will stay there while you hold the screwdriver at all sorts of different angles.... allowing you to work basically with one hand while fastening things together. Simply not possible with a slotted or Philips screwdriver. (Okay, yes, you can get one with a magnetic tip that provides a degree of help, but nothing like what a Robertson can do.)

So what does this have to do with free software? At first glance, nothing, but it actually is yet another illustration that sometimes inferior technology wins. Fascinating story, really... a guy named P.L. Robertson set up his company in Milton, Ontario, in 1908. He had come up with the idea for a better type of fastner - the screw with a square indentation and applied for associated patents, etc. He was successful in Canada and tried to expand overseas in Europe... minor little details like a world war kind of got in the way... and then (according to a History channel documentary) he had a falling out with his European partners.

So then came the critical failure... Henry Ford tried out the Robertson screws and found they could shave off a good two hours from the time to assemble a car. But, being Henry Ford, he wanted to control the entire supply process, so he wanted to license the design from P.L. Robertson and manufacture the screws himself. Freshly burned from his European experience (you might say he got screwed! :-), P.L. Robertson declined... and a few years later this guy named Phillips came along... who had no issue with licensing.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by orange
      I agree.

But I'll humour him.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I always called them square-head screws. And yes, they're fantastic -- none of the "your screwhead is now trashed" problems with Phillips, none of the slipping problems with flat-head screws. It's also nice to be able to jam the screw onto a non-magnetized screw bit and have a reasonable chance of the thing staying in place.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Don't feel bad, Dave. I'm the same way. I have managed to put bookcases together (as many books as I have, I'd better be able to do that), but anything more complicated is way beyond me. One time my wife and I wallpapered a small bathroom. It took us six hours to put up one sheet, and six months to finish the job. That was the only time I ever tried something like that!
          "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Yeah, I have so many books all my bookshelves are filled up and I have books basically carpeting my bedroom floor, spilling into the living room.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would probably kill myself doing some of that stuff.

Please do .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

heh, doesn't sound like a half bad idea, eh?
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ah, now I know what those extra bits in my bit set are!
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

It is alway necessary to have a cordless drill (which is a screwdriver when you put the screw bit on)

It is the only power tool I own (I am no carpenter). But this is a necessary one to have.

Comment

Real men build their own furniture
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

reminds me of the lebat blue ad with the bear making a bookshelf and turning it into a beer dispenisng chair
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I've built quite a few items around the house. Some of the latest pieces actually look pretty good. OTOH if I had a six-figure income I probably wouldn't have bothered with do-it-yourself furniture. Instead, since I don't turn away the poor, I'm stuck with what I make, so I guess it's do-it-yourself for me.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

square on the outside or a square groove? Does the screwed-in screw rest flush? I'd still like to see some good pictures or a diagram.

Comment

Robertson screws and Allen "keys"? What the hell is going on up there in Canada? I'll keep my Phillips screws and Allen wrenches, thank you very much...
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Allen wrenches == Allen keys.

Phillips screws < Robertson screws.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X