• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're on the topic...

More excellent films:

Rumblefish
    Delicatessen, City of Lost Children
    The Man Who Wasn't There (why has no one mentioned it?!?)
    Natural Born Killers
    JFK
    Dead Man
    Tetuso 1 & 2
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

and more......
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
      I still say the 1963 The Haunting is the best haunted house movie ever made. It's just got the entire atmosphere and mood perfect. Running behind it are The Changeling, The Legend of Hell House and The Innocents.
      For Ghost movies, my favorite is Lady in White (which I already listed). I did like The Haunting, but I haven't seen the others (and now I'm going to have to find and watch them)
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Do you mean The Lady in Black? Because that is indeed one frightening movie.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

There are some bad movies in this thread.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
            Do you mean The Lady in Black? Because that is indeed one frightening movie.
            I suspect you mean Woman in Black which is also a good ghost story (although I found parts of it unfulfilling - IMO, it felt like it could do with another half hour to give more depth), but no, I mean, Lady in White
            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

like what, Sava???
              And yes, Delicatessen is brilliant
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                There are some bad movies in this thread.
                It's all a matter of taste. (Unless I missed someone mentioning Plan 9 from Outer Space. )

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                  And yes, Delicatessen is brilliant
                  Seen City of Lost Children? If not see it now. But for the love of god, NOT DUBBED.
                  I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                  Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Braveheart is my favorite movie ever, very much worth watching it if you haven't yet.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I can't believe somebody mentioned Electra Glide in Blue. I thought that was such a cool movie.

Some that may have been missed:

King of Comedy: De Niro tour de force
                      AfterHours: comedy of coincidences
                      Mean Streets: You pay for your sins in the streets

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover: indescribable
                      Drowning by Numbers: numbers, games, drownings
                      A Zed and Two Noughts: ashes to ashes, ooze to ooze
                      The Draughtman's Contract: more to a picture, than meets the eye

Psycho: this one started them all
                      Frenzy: neckties, rape and potatoes
                      Spellbound: Dali designed dreams and Freud
                      The Trouble with Harry: Harry won't stay buried

The Conversation: is anyone listening?

Suspiria: stylish grand guignol
                      The Bird with the Crystal Plumage: stylish whodunnit

The Fisher King: Is it better to be mad?

They Might be Giants: George C. Scott thinks he's Sherlock Holmes
                      Patton: George C. Scott as Patton, nuff said.
                      Hardcore: George C. Scott again. Quirky, unintentionally funny, odd.

Tough Guys Don't Dance: Norman Mailer makes hilarious satirical debut

Liquid Sky: orgasm and drug eating alien lives on punk fashion model's rooftop in NYC. A low budget gem.

Does anybody really read these things?

and many mo. . .
                      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I do, for one, though I am a film student, so I'm not typical
                        In fact, I intend to save this whole thread for later perusal and possible rental, my uni has a fairly decent video library which I am using to the full
                        Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                          I can't believe somebody mentioned Electra Glide in Blue. I thought that was such a cool movie.

and many mo. . .
                          Yes, that was me. I found an ex-rental video copy in a Melbourne music/video shop- along with After Dark, My Sweet, The Amazing Mr Blunden, Trouble in Mind, and Assault on Precinct 13. I think one of my favourite periods for films was the 1970s American cinema- as Rufus Firefly said in an earlier thread, it was the decade when Hollywood was still producing films for adults, rather than for those afflicted with arrested development.

Blue Collar deserves a mention, as does Altman's Quintet, Belly of An Architect, Sunday Too Far Away, Death in a French Garden, Colonel Redl, Mephisto, The Hit, Heatwave, City of Hope, Passion Fish, Welles's Othello, Wise Blood and Race With The Devil.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

Ooh, yes, thats a good one.

Was that the vhs boardgame where the butler's name was Diddit? (As in, The Butler Did It). Fun, but Cor-ny!
                            That's the one.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Graag

Seen City of Lost Children? If not see it now. But for the love of god, NOT DUBBED.
                              I thought the dubbing of CoLC was actually quite good, far superior to most dubbings. They actually got good actors to read the lines. It stands with the dubbing of Das Boot as one of the best dubbed flicks I've seen.

But I prefer subtitles, anyway.

Edan, right-o. I'd seen the Woman in Black on TV many years ago, and I can't forget it, especially the last scene. Frightening movie, on a par with The Ring in terms of terrifying atmosphere. I've never heard of the Lady in White...will have to look for it.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

That's the one.

ACK!
                                Good performane by Tim Curry in that movie. Not as good as his performance in Rocky Horror, but then again nothing is.
                                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Working...
                                X