Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hottest and coldest temperature you've been in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No idea, I don't remember the wind conditions when it was +44C for me. I was inside in a house with no air conditioning at the time. Wind didn't matter to me.

But windchill...that makes a huge difference to me. I have to trek across a giant soccerfield complex each morning to get to my busstop. Windchill is huge.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

On one new-years eve I was skiing in lapland (this time it was downhill skiing), and the temp was -30 C. The funny thing is, that I didn't look like a human at all. I was this clothed blob on a pair of skis. But it was fun, I was practically the only skier in that hill.
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus

Yeah i come from the province of Antwerp.. Actually on the border between Antwerp and Brabant, near the city Mechelen.

I'm not nationalistic at all (god that's the last thing i'll ever be), there are simply things that are annoying for us (it's always us that have to adapt to the Walloons because they don't speak dutch enough), nothing more.

Problem is that just 50 years ago, we were still a bit oppressed by the Walloons (higher education was French only etc), but now that the tide had turned so quickly, and the Flemish became rich, and the Steel, and Coal industry of Wallonia faded, with the mines closing etc, many Flemish people want revenge and want the Walloons out, a thing i absolutely don't want.

Het Vlaams Blok, our extreme right party, that wants independence of Flanders, is already the third largest party in Flanders... pretty sad, because other than that they are racist, and a whole bunch of other things... I compare them a bit to Sharon's policy of political idiocy and wrecking your own country by trying to remove fellow citizens from your country.

But: When the Walloons ruled Belgium, life wasn't fair for the Flemish, and that's a fact , it's all in the books!
        Yep, what you wrote is the impression I had already gathered while in Belgium

I could almost feel that sort of "revenge" thingy going on against the Walloons

Anyway it's not a big deal to non Belgians it's just that sometimes you seem a little bit funny when you decide to speak back in english even though we know you understood us.

But I know you have your reasons

I didn't know the Walloons were not fluent in dutch though.

Anyway I had a really great time while in Leuven for my post graduat studies.

BTW, maybe it seems a bit odd but the old folks seemed a bit more relaxed with that language thingy.

Once or twice, when I didn't know the word in english and I had to use french (in stores for example) and an old couple overheard me they were very eager to help me and quick to reply back in french

(maybe they were just Walloons of course )

In my building most of the students were Flemish BTW (naturally). I knew most of them, have still friendships from them. Had a real great time in Leuven. Unforgetable

Edit: And the University with its plethora of students from all over the world (ok mainly from Europe and America) sort of creates an international "island" something which I also loved - it was like being back in the European School again ) I think there are 20.000 students in K.U.L. of which around 2.000 are foreigners.
        Last edited by Bereta_Eder; December 23, 2002, 07:22.

Comment

Working...
        X