No announcement yet.

What's the point of alcohol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One to two glasses of alcohol a day helps lower stress and instances of colon cancer. Red wine helps lower colesterol. Everything in moderation. One to two glasses of red wine a day would do anyone a wolrd of good.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

There is no such thing as Swedish virgins...

Comment

Alcohol is fun. Drugs are fun. Sex is fun. Some people ruin the fun by doing stupid things involving the above three. If you don't do stupid things, they are a lot of fun. Fun is good.

This is the logic of the Starchild.
        (sex is very fun)
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

virgins aren't very good in bed though. I'd prefer 24 sluts.

Comment

Hmmm no you are right on that... maybe norwegian? lets raid some caves and sent them already...

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              virgins aren't very good in bed though. I'd prefer 24 sluts.
              Diss is into those older "experienced" women?
              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                Alcohol is fun. Drugs are fun. Sex is fun. Some people ruin the fun by doing stupid things involving the above three. If you don't do stupid things, they are a lot of fun. Fun is good.

This is the logic of the Starchild.
                (sex is very fun)

The logic, it is very good.
                "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I've always said there's a fine line between fun and stupidity.

I know plenty of women who drink alcohol in moderation, while pregnant. Not acceptable.

I think what Speer is trying to say is that we need to think of what we need and what we don't need. To me, I think my needs are the basics of survival; Air, food/water/energy, warmth, health, some intelligence/experience; that's about it I think. Everything else is a want, and remember, we are talking about individuals here. So reproduction doesn't count for your own survival. So sex and love aren't needs either. We as humans are able to make a decision and a choice. We choose to reproduce because we know it's the only way to keep the human race going. But most who choose to have sex not for reproduction, are simply requiring pleasure - and pleasure is simply a feeling that uplifts you for a short time. It's a selfish act and can easily harm the way you see the world, making you depressed, angry and or confused.

I have asked many people who come to me seeking advice this one question, and it's the type of question that tests yourself.

The question is, can you go through life without sex?

I say sex, because it's generally the most highly wanted thing that you can still survive without. If you can see yourself being able to live life without sex, then you are very in control of your life and extremely understanding of the world around you. (This does not mean they are a uptight person, infact they are the nicest and most relaxed people on earth).

If you say no, you can't live without sex; then you are weak, and you either are still trying to improve your well-being, or you are not aware that a better way of life does exist. (As in, nothing is better than sex, alcohol, drugs, etc), or you know there is a better life, you just don't care/given up.

When I was younger, I was against alcohol, because I saw bad things happened when people drink (even in moderation). Later, I realised how important experience was. So one night, I decided to go to a party. I got drunk (pretty quick too). I went home, I realised that I was standing in the middle of my previous life (in control, happy) and this new life, which seemed to be a fake happiness and being out of control. Which is what I previously thought alcohol did. I decided then, that alcohol will no longer be a part of my life. I knew then, that the only way I can be truely happy, is by understanding as much as I can, and I saw that alcohol, etc, forms of pleasure, will take that away from me; and that you don't always have to try something to understand it.

I would prefer a world where people are understanding and in control of themselves.

I've also noticed that alcohol, drugs, sex, music, etc are quick fixes for angry moments, sad moments, etc. I think those things are more like sellotape - they won't help forever. If you all are wanting fun, then I suggest you stop what takes control of you. (Except for your needs). And only then will you always be having 'fun'. Not just sometimes. And don't be confused by the media, the media wouldn't know what fun/happiness was if it wanted to - which it doesn't, because if it did, it wouldn't succeed. The media targets your wants, almost never your needs - And THAT shows you how many people in modern worlds are weak in the mind.
                  be free

Comment

why would they believe that in heaven they will be rewarded by being "served" by youthful companions?

They (or we) don't. It's a mistranslation. No Muslim believes in the 24 virgin crap. It just gets paraded around in the West.

--

And there is nothing wrong with alcohol. It's just as bad for you as fatty foods, but I like both, so there .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I read an interesting essay last semester about the connection between the use of substances and the writing of the major religion's scriptures. Beer and wine were the choice drinks of the people who wrote the Torah and the Bible... even Islam had its share of alcoholic beverages. Despite the modern interpretation, IIRC, the Islamic law bans the consumption of the fermentation of plants. They drank an alcoholic beverage derived from honey IIRC. Marijuana and opium use was also very widespread throughout the Middle East and Far East during the infancy of the modern world religions.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The media targets your wants, almost never your needs - And THAT shows you how many people in modern worlds are weak in the mind.

Ahh the media, the ever so important media from the last decades.... The media doesn't target my wants in any case, they target what they think we want, which isn't at all what we want! Do I want 20 minutes of the news wasted on the Belgian prince who has finally found himself a chick (he's 38, she's 28 ) ??? No, though the Tv stations think I do...

Screwing people like this long enough and the minds of the simple will believe that what the media presents is what they want...

Of course, there's always the few idiots whose life is so boring they follow the life of the royals so intensely as possible
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

that was maybe off topic, but well

Btw Sava your avatar is cool, nice cat!
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                            I think what Speer is trying to say is that we need to think of what we need and what we don't need.

Speer is trying to troll. Don't make him out to be more intellectual than he really is.

I went home, I realised that I was standing in the middle of my previous life (in control, happy) and this new life, which seemed to be a fake happiness and being out of control. Which is what I previously thought alcohol did.

You ever heard of prophetic behavior. You haad an expectation and your experience confirmed it. You didn't go into with no preconceived notions. Frankly, you display the symptoms of someone who grew up around alcoholics and doesn't realize that most people who drink alcohol don't have problems.

Yes, pregnant women shouldn't drink any alcohol, even in moderation. Alocoholics should also stay away from liquor too. For the rest of us, a little alcohol isn't merely harmless, it's healthy. It lowers colon cancer risks and heart attack and stroke risk by lowering bad cholesterol. . . in moderation. More than that and you risk cirocis of the liver and excess alcohol is stored as fat.

Getting drunk can be fun, when you're young. I'm not really a big fan of it now. It's losts its appeal, but that doesn't make it wrong or fake or mean you've lost control. Losing control is something that happens before you're drunk, either because you have a disease or because you don't know how to handle your liquor yet. If you know how to drink, you can eve get a little tipsey without losing control (though under no circumstances should you drive). Three pints of beer and I'll have a fun walk home and be sober by the time I get there.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Chris
                              24 virgins in heaven.. blond swedish virgins...?... ok ok you got me, where can i sign in to become muslim?
                              Actually what Mohammed promises in the Koran is that the outstandingly faithful will be served by "youths of fautless apearence who will never age". Take note that he does not specify what services will be performed or what sex these youths will be.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Hey I thought i posted a post with an attachment to it... that beer song, it's gone??

Comment

Working...
                                X