No announcement yet.

Greedy, selfish NYC transit workers threaten strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, made it home okay...so we'll see!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Deal has been reached. They are reporting it now.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Gee, guess they weren't so greedy and selfish after all. Apologies, anyone?
        "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

• God, they were wussie! All they did was take the 0% raise in the second year!
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Huh?

From the news:

"The new, three-year deal with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority would include a $1,000 lump-sum payment to workers in the first year, with 3 percent raises in each of the next two years, Toussaint said."
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
              Huh?

From the news:

"The new, three-year deal with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority would include a $1,000 lump-sum payment to workers in the first year, with 3 percent raises in each of the next two years, Toussaint said."
              Which in effect is like getting part or all of the raise a year earlier (since the bonus is only for 1 year). So if you make 50k, for example, you get 51k the first year which is like a 2% increase. The second year, w/o any bonus, you get 51.5k, which is like a 1% increase compared to the previous year w/ bonus. It's simply a matter of perspective.
              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• 1. Fining a specific worker who strikes is illegal -- you have to fine the union.

2. NYC spends hundreds of millions a year to coddle big business and wealthy businessmen who at the first sign of trouble cut and run, leaving nothing but unemployment, defaulted loans, and bankrupt partners. Until the city government stops sucking off the wealthy in exchange for whatever legal or illegal benefits they receive, I don't have any sympathy when they have trouble woith a union of guys who actually contribute to the city.

3. Public transit in NYC should be free. Cars and thee scourge of Manhattan and Brooklyn and should be driven out of existence there.
                It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• Transit uses labor and capital resources, so it should not be free. The best solution is to charge cars the full social cost of their use. That means raising gas taxes and parking costs.
                  Old posters never die.
                  They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler
                    3. Public transit in NYC should be free. Cars and thee scourge of Manhattan and Brooklyn and should be driven out of existence there.
                    Funny, I was thinking the same thing about L.A. just last week.

Comment

• "As to your claim that the British outlawed the slave trade for economic reasons, you're partially right. "

Thanks Imran for pointing out the sloppy writing to not clarify the difference between abolition of slavery, and the abolition of the slave trade. There is no way Britain could enforce abolition of the slave trade without a naval hegemony.

However, I'm not quite arguing that economic reasons drove abolition. Moral arguments convinced parliament to pass the anti-slavery bill in 1807. If one believes that a certain action is morally wrong, it also behooves said person to try to convince others.

Of course, Frigates help somewhat to convince other nations.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                      X