Sex changes should be made illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    The same train of logic you use is used in cases that outlaw homosexuality.

It's for the "greater good", doncha know.

The whole thing drives me insane because it's the people who want homosexuality (or in this case sex changes) outlawed because they think it'll hurt families, hurt people, and eventually kill society.
    Don't tell me you've now equated my argument with "outlawing homosexuals". Perhaps the whole time I was trying to outlaw blacks, that sounds like it makes more sense.

Because that's a practise of good debate

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
      Don't tell me you've now equated my argument with "outlawing homosexuals". Perhaps the whole time I was trying to outlaw blacks, that sounds like it makes more sense.

Because that's a practise of good debate
      That's not what I said at all.

But it's the same logic used behind wanting homosexuality outlawed. You can't stand the thought that you may have had sex with someone who was born a man and became a woman later so it "ruins" the family, and some people can't stand the thought of having a homosexual "ruin" the family.

Same argument, different nouns, same ****.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Hi John, long time no see.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Zylka, you should see a show called, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". It deals with a botched sex-change job.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

That's not what I said at all.

But it's the same logic used behind wanting homosexuality outlawed. You can't stand the thought that you may have had sex with someone who was born a man and became a woman later so it "ruins" the family, and some people can't stand the thought of having a homosexual "ruin" the family.

Same argument, different nouns, same ****.
            Don't keep too close to your rhetorical experience on homosexuality: I haven't mentioned the family unit once. This is about the individual versus the individual, and one of them is placing a terrible crime on the other

Comment

This is about the individual versus the individual, and one of them is placing a terrible crime on the other
              Fair enough, then.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and make it mandatory for people who got a sex-change to notify future sexual partners that they have had a sex change? Much like they'd need to do if they had HIV or other STDs.

I still don't think that's right, but I wouldn't go protesting a law passed like that though...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Don't keep too close to your rhetorical experience on homosexuality: I haven't mentioned the family unit once. This is about the individual versus the individual, and one of them is placing a terrible crime on the other
                You didn't mention drugs either....
                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Fair enough, then.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and make it mandatory for people who got a sex-change to notify future sexual partners that they have had a sex change? Much like they'd need to do if they had HIV or other STDs.

I still don't think that's right, but I wouldn't go protesting a law passed like that though...
                  I didn't know there was a law concerning STDs and AIDs, but that's good news. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil - I'd rather outlaw the two sources themselves, but obviously enough, you can't outlaw disease.

A sex change is a practise which can be stopped through law. Allowing the core problem to go on and then policing the results is a little creepy and contradictory IMO. As well, there is too much of a grey area and not enough assurance of obedience and enforcement.

Comment

Sex change can be stopped by law, but that doesn't mean it should be.

Sex itself can be stopped by law. It sure would make things a lot easier if we could outlaw sex entirely, wouldn't it? Why not outlaw the source, like you said?

Comment

Sex change can be stopped by law, but that doesn't mean it should be.

Sex itself can be stopped by law. It sure would make things a lot easier if we could outlaw sex entirely, wouldn't it? Why not outlaw the source, like you said?
                      No, no, no. Obviously you can tell. You must steralise any man who seems a little effeminate and any woman who seems a little butch. You should form a little organisation for the people who want to be reassured that they haven't had a sex change and aren't sleeping with anyone who has. They can wear special clothing and have special rallies or something. Yeah! ****! That's the ticket!
                      A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

I was exaggerating in putting it on terms with murder, but only to make a point. I would rather liken it to rape. A young girl loses her virginity to a "man" she has put trust in over the past few months, only to later find out that that man was previously a woman (and IMO - is neither now). This should be taken as seriously as rape, and the offender charged and sent to jail for several years.
                        Flawed argument. You're equating this situation with constructive rape when you should really equate it with unwitting lesbianism. Should lesbianisn be punished by imprisonment?

Another scenario- what if the deception in question wasn't a sex change but an exaggeration of the seducer's financial or social status. Should that be punishable by imprisonment too?

The only circumstance in which I can see a crime being possible is if the sex act in question is paid for. Possibly then you have grounds for "Obtaining goods/services by deception" but it's one hell of a stretch.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Very few people are pro-sex changes.

I'm not pro-sex change but I'm pro-mind-your-own-****ing-business.
                          Keep that up, and we'll have to make you an honorary southerner.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

People don't decide overnight to have a sex change it is a long and difficult process, why should be people be condemed to a life of misery if there is a way to change it.(a way I might add that will have no impact on your life anyway)
                            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Zylka> You know some people are born with the thought/emotions/some of the hormones of one gender and the body of the other?

Comment

Rather... telling... that Zylka posts this thread after Friday night.
                                Last edited by Stefu; November 30, 2002, 06:55.
                                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Working...
                                X