Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ the idea of comparing Turtledove and Rowling together…
    Not making any value judgements here, just saying it's ridiculous to even say them in the same sentence!

Well, Turtledove isn't THAT bad.

It's not bad, it just isn't all that good. I mean, I'd read it if it fell into my lap and I'm not reading anything interesting at the moment, but I wouldn't go looking for it.

I would .

It's in the middle of bad and good (to a person like you, I'd say). If you'd read it if it fell into your lap, it isn't crap .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

you're right ramo. it's not exactly what i'd call "deep literature." i read all four books in the six days following the finish of Shogun, which i had labored for a month and a half to read. it's entertaining. and that's that. if everything were done to better ourselves as human beings, we'd all be rather dull.

on a side note, i wonder if Rowan Atkinson (black adder, Mr. Bean) could be fit into an upcoming potter movie...
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Agreed. Reading Harry Potter is like watching the Simpsons (back when it was good). There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not something to get all that excited over (at least IMO).
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

gawd you really are an elitist ***** if you think that watching the simpsons isn't something to get excited over!
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

When it's on like 20 times a week, it's hard to give that much of a damn.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

on a side note, i wonder if Rowan Atkinson (black adder, Mr. Bean) could be fit into an upcoming potter movie...

He's just too silly. I mean, he couldn't really be Sirius or Pettigrew. And he's a bit too old to play Viktor Krum .

i read all four books in the six days

They do that don't they . Before you know it it's 5 in the morning and you wonder why you can't put the book down!

--

And Ramo, I agree it's like the Simpsons when it was good . Good stuff, but nothing too deep.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Hmm...you like Star Wars and the Harry Potter movies.

I suppose you also liked Antz, Toy Story, The Princess Diaries, etc?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yes, yes, and nope.

Though Shrek is probably the best animated feature.

Comment

And what's wrong with a bit of simple entertainment.

Too many of todays authors (and even quite a few of yesterdays as well), try to show off by blathering all their backstory in the main story. After all they did all this research, shouldn't they show off their mighty intellects by drowning a perfectly good story in inane drivel.

Into this class I put Tolkien. His purpose was not to write a novel, but an epic.
                    I don't mind an epic, but it has to keep me entertained. Too wit, some action must occur.

All too often these days I find that I buy a 500 page book to see that 400 pages are filled with "in depth characterization" and the story is just there to support the characterization.

TO PERDITION with characterization. It' the STORY that counts stupid.

The real secret of good tight fiction is to have your backstory but assume that the reader knows it. You might have created 30,000 words of research on how a magic wand works, but when you write about it ALL the reader needs to know is "SWISH and FLICK".

And no, I don't like LOTR. That's why I am reasonably happy with the Movie. Although I think that it's a bit long - again too much drivel. Fortunately, I can skip over the boring bits with the DVD control.

Comment

Working...
                    X