No announcement yet.

Overcoming Social Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting one, I don't think I can come up with an equivalent word. It is a bit like pragmatist or opportunist...but neither...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There's an English equivalent. It's "Portillo".
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

any politician's name would do really

anyway sorry for hijacking this thread.

it is a song born out of the '60s where student involvment in politics was extremely high.

it is a very famous song, which describes the selling out of a young student of his ideas.

and the singer talks about it and how he will tell the young student girl who has fallen in love with him and his ideas

that's it
          night

(hidden message being, that if PH would take part in a political party and express strong and good ideas all the oyung english chicks will be falling all over him for "guidance"

cu

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            Cool!

I can't stand being in crowded places any more. When I was younger, and in college, it was fun going to these parties, getting drunk, high, and passing out somewhere strange. Now, I don't see the point.

I hate going to malls or anywhere with a lot of people, but this doesn't make me anti-social, it makes me more closterphobic. I also hate all the noise.
            Exactly, it's another reason I can't stand clubbing or even going to pubs either.

For some reason even getting a haircut looms over me like it's a punishment...

There is nothing wrong with having a few friends over to drink, smoke, or whatever. Play some video games, watch a movie, etc... Most of my weekends in college were spent do just that. Of course, we were geeks and played a lot of AD&D. This was good, because it presented a mellow atmosphere were you can get to know people more on a one to one basis.

This I do. Just some of my friends that are really into video games will come over and we'll all play Xbox or something into the wee hours of the morning. But that's just with close friends, again. With other people I tend to let people win because I don't want to come off as arrogant.

I would say just keep trying. Or, find a social setting that you are more comfortable with than Ragers. Maybe a more mellow social setting would do you better?
            I do like mellow social settings better, that's true -- that's what I'll try more for.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
              Asher, you can always PM when I'm online, I don't mind. If I'm busy, I'll say so. I tell red_jon to buzz off all the time.

And once again the *****-o-Meter goes through the roof

Comment

The most successful socialization behavior is listening. Few people are good at it. If you can listen intently in various social groupings, you will find yourself much sought after.

... or you could post pictures of yourself on a San Fran gay e-zine... I'm sure you can make some interesting friends there !!!
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

bah! I do plenty of listening, not enough talking. People consider me too quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    bah! I do plenty of listening, not enough talking. People consider me too quiet.
                    My problem too, believe it or not.

I actually find it pretty annoying now, nightly I have one of two girls call and all they do is talk talk talk about their life and I just listen and go "mmhmm" and offer in random words and advice like I'm listening.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• The problem with that is Asher is that, to them, you are 'a very good friend'/'honorary female'...no good at all...
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

• Well, there is always my other suggestion !
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                          My problem too, believe it or not.

I actually find it pretty annoying now, nightly I have one of two girls call and all they do is talk talk talk about their life and I just listen and go "mmhmm" and offer in random words and advice like I'm listening.
                          I've been in that position. Not bad at all really, especially since they knew to call after my parents were asleep.

They thought I was gay though.
                          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• I want girls and guys to call me to just talk

I like talking to people (actually I mostly listen)

but for some reason there are never peopel really eager to talk to me

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• You ninnies - get out there - smell the roses
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• What and miss the enlightening, enriching wisdom that only you Horsie can provide?? Surely you jest.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X