This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tamerlin
    Then the Great Wizard Tamerlin throw the Planeshift spell (D&D Players' Handbook p.235) and disappear to the Ovalia Plane where the true laws of Rugby are still enforced.
    Good grief! Literature - of a sort - rears its head in our thread! Bet you wouldn't get literature of any sort quoted in a L***** or S***** thread!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
      Instead the Great Wizard Tamerlin ended up in Pandemonium where he was quite at home amongst the rest of the NH players.
      Off with les lutins, I'd've thought.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

You'd get on famously with Havak. Peads in a pod.
        Damn. I'd just gone through AHs "Would-be authors" link, noted the flag Lucarse was using, and was about to edit my previous post with some qualifiers of my own.

Originally posted by finbar

Episode 1. The Tamerlin Menace.
        Episode 2. Attack of Les Bleus.
        Episode 3.
        Episode 4. A Bleu Hope.
        Episode 5. Tamerlin Strikes Back.
        Episode 6. Return of The Hulking Bleu Pack.
        LMAO - Especially at the first one.

Comment

I'd just gone through AHs "Would-be authors" link
          That thread has to qualify as the silliest, most suicidal thread in the history of this place. I hope it's archived. I gave up shooting the duck in the barrel very early on.

Comment

Good grief! Literature - of a sort - rears its head in our thread! Bet you wouldn't get literature of any sort quoted in a L***** or S***** thread!
            Please, have mercy on a poor, ignorant American...

What the hell is L***** and S*****?
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Well, L***** sometimes has rugby as a precursor, although most undeservedly so, and S***** is a sport recently become popular in the US (Its been huge in Europe and South America for years) that I have alluded to in a past rugby thread, but will not do so again in abject fear of the ever-growing pile of Havaks empties.

Incidentally, upon reflection, I would like to propose Finbars Ep1 above as a contender for the next rugby thread title ...
              Rugby - The Tamerlin Menace!

Comment

On the contrary, there has been more books published in Australia on the subject of Rugby League than Rugby Union, if you'd ever stepped into a bookstore you'd know that.

League is a more interesting game to write about, it has plenty of personality.
                "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

Comment

Just for you, Monk, in the interests of your education and ongoing friendly international reasons, I'll use the words in this thread. Any other use is strictly forbidden!

L***** refers to a game called Rugby League, a bastard offspring of Rugby Union, the game to which our threads are dedicated. The games have different rules - L***** has fewer rules because those who play it lack the intelligence to learn any more - and there are fewer players (13) in L***** than there are in Union (15) because people who play L***** are generally considered unable to count beyond 13. Dedicated contributors to this thread have been known to dance naked around burning bushes at midnight praying to The Great Game God that He or She might smite L***** from the planet.

S***** is Soccer. We dance clothed - except for Tamerlin, he hates S***** with an utter passiom, so he dances naked - around burning bushes at midnight praying to The Great Game God that He or She causes all S***** balls - en masse - to spring a permanent leak.

That's about it, really. Pure, unmitigated, rabid intolerance.
                  Last edited by finbar; November 20, 2002, 04:07.

Comment

He's talking about Rugby League, the working man's footy. Union has always been a sport for the elite class, the Wallabies pick up players from GPS Christian schools attended to only by the upper-middle/rich class of society and the only way to watch Super12 live is to get cable!

League is a sport open to anyone with SKILL, not MONEY and has plenty of free to air coverage. It is less complex for sure, but because of it is a smoother game than Union which stops again and again because of all the regulations. League is more creative because you can rely on having the ball for a set time and create a strategy and have a space between the opposing sides to devise brilliant set pieces.

Union is a great international sport but any rubbishing of League by some individuals is from pure arrogance. It may be in a slump through its management but it's a well loved game.
                    "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

Comment

L***** refers to a game called Rugby League, a bastard offspring of Rugby Union, the game to which our threads are dedicated.
                      And rugby union is a bastard offspring of Soccer, it began when someone picked up a soccer ball and ran with it.

The games have different rules - L***** has fewer rules because those who play it lack the intelligence to learn any more
                      Games don't have to be complicated, why should sport have so many rules? It seems you love being restricted by regulations, they reduce creativity.

- and there are fewer players (13) in L***** than there are in Union (15) because people who play L***** are generally considered unable to count beyond 13.
                      Tell that to tactical geniuses like Lockyer, Fittler and Joey Johns. As for less players, League is a working mans sport and the working man is fit, they don't need so many to cover the field.

Dedicated contributors to this thread have been known to dance naked around burning bushes at midnight praying to The Great Game God that He or She might smite L***** from the planet.
                      No comment. Just who are you making fun of?
                      Last edited by Journeyman; November 20, 2002, 04:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman
                        And rugby union is a bastard offspring of Soccer, it began when someone picked up a soccer ball and ran with it.
                        Its not worth arguing over a games obscure origins. In keeping with the threads current title - golf, one of the most dreary and excruciatingly tedious games ever thought up came about when a halfling named Bullroarer, IIRC, knocked a goblins head off and sent it down a rabbit hole several hundred feet away. How something so entertaining could have sunk so far is beyond me ...

Games don't have to be complicated, why should sport have so many rules? It seems you love being restricted by regulations, they reduce creativity.
                        Heh heh. Reduced Creativity? Doesn't L***** come to a complete standstill after basically every tackle? This tackle-stop cycle to be followed by the inevitable kick up field on the last or second-to-last before the handover?

Tell that to tactical geniuses like Lockyer, Fittler and Joey Johns. As for less players, L***** is a working mans sport and the working man is fit, they don't need so many to cover the field.
                        We're really going to have to talk to somebody about that auto-censor. Those names should have been bleeped to L******, F****** and J*** J****.

I wouldn't want to speak for finbar but I'd hazard a guess at an answer something along the lines of "anybody and everybody"

Comment

Or at least thats where he would have gone if he hadn't rolled too high on the casting failure table (D&D DM's Guide p. I don't know coz I don't have mine with me) due to being up at 4:30 in the morning no doubt. Instead the Great Wizard Tamerlin ended up in Pandemonium where he was quite at home amongst the rest of the NH players.

Don't try to fool me, there is no such thing in the "DM Guide" !
                          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Episode 1. The Tamerlin Menace.
                            Episode 2. Attack of Les Bleus.
                            Episode 3.
                            Episode 4. A Bleu Hope.
                            Episode 5. Tamerlin Strikes Back.
                            Episode 6. Return of The Hulking Bleu Pack.
                            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Dedicated contributors to this thread have been known to dance naked around burning bushes at midnight
                              Any she "dedicated contributor"? If the answer is yes I would like to know where....

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman And rugby union is a bastard offspring of Soccer, it began when someone picked up a soccer ball and ran with it.
                                Sorry Journeyman, in spite of a common belief this is exactly the contrary, soccer is born from the game of Rugby which was neither Rugby nor S***** until William Web Ellis picked up the ball. Check the history of the game, as I did in the past, and you will be very surprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X