This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finbar
    But I suspect, as Havak pointed out, Andy is probably playing L*****!
    What an absolute, bloody champion. League'll always be the game for the working class.
    "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

Comment

Leaving aside the late hit on Larkham and the subsequent 3 points.
      Isn’t this the incident where the hand was broken?

On the whole, the ball reached a speedster in a fairly ad hoc fashion and then it was on.
      That is a wonderful description – ‘hopeful’ rugby we should perhaps call it?

I'll take your word for all those changes because I don't know.
      You can trust me.

Do you think your backs practise together with your forwards? Do they rehearse plays?
      The sad thing is I think they do. A fresh set of eyes on the training field couldn’t hurt therefore.

I never get that impression with England.
      That’s why watching them is such an immersive experience. You can never ever relax with them.

I suspect some of it might be a hangover from the Lions tour.
      There’s some of that for sure, but most of that should have been worked out last November. I’m the only one still carrying baggage from that.

Mind you England-Australia is an edgy fixture whatever the sport.

Give the babies a chance to show what they've got.
      It can’t hurt. Your big worry, as I think Tamerlin was concerned about, is that Italian discipline is appalling. Your youngsters might get hurt and that you do not need.

Clive has picked Christophers to replace Simpson-Daniel (who has glandular fever!). That is a choice for the future – the conservative option would have been Robinson or Healey to the wing.

With that young Springbok now at the Brumbies, I suspect Pat Howard's days are numbered
      Could you have a word with him for me? Encourage him to come back?

Fair enough, Freier had to come on to replace Jeremy Paul, but why did his appearance have to coincide with so many lineouts?
      Beats me, but it was intentional clearly given they were pretty much all Wallaby calls to do so.

The Giteau thing was bizarre – no time to play in and a real pressure cooker situation. Eddie clearly likes to blood ‘em big time?

When would that have been? Around 15 years ago? I must look up which - if any - of the Wallabies he played against.
      Should be 1990, maybe late 89.

And oh yes he is certainly playing L***** - the flat cap gives it away.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman

What an absolute, bloody champion. League'll always be the game for the working class.
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I think he has missed fouls committed by both sides, AB decoy runners,
          Well, I happen to agree with Finbar on this. If the NZ decoys don't obstruct then no rules are broken. The use of decoys is effectively nothing more than giving the scrum half (or whoever) more options for him to pass to, the options all presenting themselves at once. A good opposition will organise themselves to counter such a move.

I'll agree that the use of this tactic adds another small dimension to the game, and that perhaps people who prefer rucks and mauls wouldn't like this dimension...

Did anyone see the SA Scotland game? The saffees looked like a rabble. Is the betting compo still going, and if so, what would the margin be between England and SA? I would pick England by 15. I suspect that the English forwards will start communicating with their backs in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydog
            Well, I happen to agree with Finbar on this. If the NZ decoys don't obstruct then no rules are broken.
            I'am only talking about the decoy runners who have commited such an obstruction.

The use of decoys is effectively nothing more than giving the scrum half (or whoever) more options for him to pass to, the options all presenting themselves at once. A good opposition will organise themselves to counter such a move.
            New tactics and new organizations can be found without adding new rules, as in the past it should not be possible to handle the ball in the back of a player to reach another one farther.

I'll agree that the use of this tactic adds another small dimension to the game, and that perhaps people who prefer rucks and mauls wouldn't like this dimension...
            The dimension added is not small at all in my own opinion though it is true I prefer a game with a good mix of scrums, mauls and play from the backs.

BTW have you noticed the weakness of all the SH nations as far as scrums are concerned as if your forwards were already no more used to push scrums.
            Last edited by Tamerlin; November 19, 2002, 19:55.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Havak

Isn’t this the incident where the hand was broken?
              No, apparently he broke the bones in an attempted charge down. I don't know which one.

It can’t hurt. Your big worry, as I think Tamerlin was concerned about, is that Italian discipline is appalling. Your youngsters might get hurt and that you do not need.
              This is going to test my spiritual affinity with Italy.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                The Giteau thing was bizarre – no time to play in and a real pressure cooker situation. Eddie clearly likes to blood ‘em big time?
                That's Eddie. He has absolute faith in his own judgement. He has identified Freier and Giteau as players of the future and that's it. But tossing a 20 year old who's yet even to play S12 into that situation was a wrong call. Apparently the kid was devasted after the match because he knew he'd taken wrong options. That's the risk Eddie ran by making the decision.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydog

Well, I happen to agree with Finbar on this.
                  I always suspected you were a chap of taste, judgement and wisdom. I have been proved right. For the moment.

If the NZ decoys don't obstruct then no rules are broken.
                  That's the whole point. Which leads to the question - on what basis would they outlaw decoy runners if they try to? What will they call illegal? If they decide that a decoy runner causing obstruction is illegal - the obstruction law already exists! If they decide that you can't pass a ball behind a team mate's back - they're potentially outlawing a cutout pass. As I've said before, let the IRB worry about more pressing - and real, not imagined - problems.

Did anyone see the SA Scotland game? The saffees looked like a rabble.
                  I saw bits of it. The Boks were very scrappy. The coach is now into making wholesale changes to the team at every opportunity which is far from a good sign.

Is the betting compo still going, and if so, what would the margin be between England and SA? I would pick England by 15.
                  The betting comp is still alive, we just have to get our acts together in time.

I suspect that the English forwards will start communicating with their backs in this game.
                  By letter, presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                    New tactics and new organizations can be found without adding new rules, as in the past it should not be possible to handle the ball in the back of a player to reach another one farther.
                    So a cutout pass has to travel in front of the player it's bypassing? Cutout passes frequently travel behind the cutout player when ball and cutout player are well behind the ball carrier.

BTW have you noted the weakness of all the SH nations as far as scrums are concerned as if your forwards were already no more used to push scrums.
                    Tamerlin strikes back!

Comment

So a cutout pass has to travel in front of the player it's bypassing?
                      Yes !

Cutout passes frequently travel behind the cutout player when ball and cutout player are well behind the ball carrier.
                      What is important is that the bypassed player is not ahead of the passing player at the very moment the ball is passed, it was called an offside a long time ago.

Tamerlin strikes back!
                      Tamerlin : I'am your father, Finbar !
                      Finbar : NOOOOOooooo !
                      Tamerlin : Yep !
                      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Playing the best we have and creaming them will be meaningless. Playing the best we have and struggling will be death. Give the babies a chance to show what they've got.
                        Good in principle but I can't see it working like that in practice. The politics thing again. Having lost to both England and Ireland it'd take a very secure coach to put up an understrength team. Might mean his head on a platter if they lost yet again.

I always suspected you were a chap of taste, judgement and wisdom. I have been proved right.
                        Now that you've publically stated such a thing about one Kiwi there's no going back. Bow to the inevitable.

For the moment.
                        Qualifier notwithstanding.

I'm only talking about the decoy runners who have commited such an obstruction.
                        Now there's that 'o' word again. [Insert some fancy quote about eyes of beholders (Not the D&D kind!) here.]

What is important is that the bypassed player is not ahead of the passing player at the very moment the ball is passed, it was called an offside a long time ago.
                        I don't think anyone would dispute that but I don't think too many of the disputed "decoy/obstruction" claims fall into that category ... Not that I saw the game in question so maybe I shouldn't judge ...

[Edit: 3rd time lucky. ]
                        Last edited by ravagon; November 19, 2002, 21:27.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                          I don't think anyone would dispute that but I don't think too many of the disputed "decoy/obstruction" claims fall into that category ... Not that I saw the game in question so maybe I shouldn't judge ...
                          Actually, before the laws were modified, I think the ball had to pass in front of the bypassed player. Though you think these new laws has added a new dimension, I don't agree as the game played by the backs has gradually empoverished to the benefit of the "battle for the center" or "battle of the centers", a more spectacular game (also more dangerous for the players) but less interesting, in my own opinion of course.

Then the Great Wizard Tamerlin throw the Planeshift spell (D&D Players' Handbook p.235) and disappear to the Ovalia Plane where the true laws of Rugby are still enforced.

Comment

Then the Great Wizard Tamerlin throw the Planeshift spell (D&D Players' Handbook p.235) and disappear to the Ovalia Plane where the true laws of Rugby are still enforced.
                            Or at least thats where he would have gone if he hadn't rolled too high on the casting failure table (D&D DM's Guide p. I don't know coz I don't have mine with me) due to being up at 4:30 in the morning no doubt. Instead the Great Wizard Tamerlin ended up in Pandemonium where he was quite at home amongst the rest of the NH players.
                            Last edited by ravagon; November 19, 2002, 22:36.

Comment

In which case, as with obstruction, there is already a law in place.

Tamerlin : I'am your father, Finbar !
                              Finbar : NOOOOOooooo !
                              Tamerlin : Yep !

Episode 1. The Tamerlin Menace.
                              Episode 2. Attack of Les Bleus.
                              Episode 3.
                              Episode 4. A Bleu Hope.
                              Episode 5. Tamerlin Strikes Back.
                              Episode 6. Return of The Hulking Bleu Pack.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                                Good in principle but I can't see it working like that in practice. The politics thing again. Having lost to both England and Ireland it'd take a very secure coach to put up an understrength team. Might mean his head on a platter if they lost yet again.
                                There is that to take into account. OTOH, with all the injuries - including Larkham and Jeremy Paul both already back home - even the best team on the paddock is going to be second-string.

Now that you've publically stated such a thing about one Kiwi there's no going back. Bow to the inevitable.

Qualifier notwithstanding.
                                You'd get on famously with Havak. Peas in a pod.
                                Last edited by finbar; November 20, 2002, 00:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X