The failed party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The failed party

Election results are just coming in, so things are still unclear, but I have a very bad feeling that the Republicans wil gain control of the senate, keep the house, and that democrats will win the govenorships.

This is a terrible outcome in my opinion: BUsh will be able to pass more of his agenda and judges, while the democrats will get the wonderful job of handling the implosion of state budgets in the next few years.

Now, Let Jimmy and Fez and other gloat and dance around and be obnixious: I am sure I would not be very likable to them if the democrats swept everything. At the same time, in my opinion this is a horrible possible outcome and bodes badly for the US. But I do not blame voters (you never can), This is a huge failure by Democrats, a huge one. The democratic leadership over the last 2 years has been utterly spineless and without principles. I hate the principles of this admin, but at least they have some.

Bush is a man that won only because more votes for Gore were deemed invalid than ones for him. Yet the democratcs never sought to savage a man who had 0 mandate, in fact, less than zero mandate. They did nothing to derail the tax cut: many went along, and even during this election most backed it. After 9/11 the allowed the santification of Bush and the growth of his cult of personality. What have they done with their control of the Senate? At best, they fought to block his judges, but on most issues have fought cheap battles with no aim, such as the one over homeland security , yeah, we back this idiotic idea, as long as the jobs stay union....oh, you don't want them to be union? Then we fight! They sought only soundbites about corporate responsibility, then just sat and did nothing as Mr. Pitt and the industry went along to undermine all 'reform'. it was not democrats at all that have forced Pitt out: most dems. would have happily let him stay.

The democrats have shown no vision for the country. Were Bush is popular, they back him. On the issues that Republicans are weak on, all they do is talk, but never take action. You don't win by fightign only to save your petty hide, you win by fighting the good fight, and the democratic party simply has not done so these last foru years.

So, I will sit back and let the conservatives gloat. Let them. I think they are leading us down a terrible path, but most people will always go with the one that's at least moving, never with the one who just sits there like a lump.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

:gloat: (Oh, wait. We don't have that smilie yet.)

But seriously, I think it's still way too early to call the entire election. I'll wait to gloat until, say, tomorrow.

Comment

well Durbin [D] won in Illinois, I have yet to hear if Republicans are winning the other Senate races...

I almost want to see the Republicans push their agenda. Hopefully, America will be smart enough to see past the bullsh1t and vote them all out in 2004. But the ultra-nationalistic flag waving propaganda will probably brainwash too many people for that to happen.

:sigh: (this should be a smiley too)
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

They're a bunch of spineless sellouts. Who cares if they've lost? They deserve it. Maybe after a few more elections, if Ashcroft hasn't crushed all dissent yet, we might get the Libs or the Greens a sizeable portion of Congress.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

I can't understand why so many people would support the Republican platform. I grant that the vast majority of republican voters are probably ill-informed. But it makes me sad to think that so many people can be so indifferent to the condition of their fellow man. Of course the Democrats are little better. They have been more or less rendered impotent anyway, so even if they did win the actual result of this election would have been little different. The true villain in this election, as always, is the American system that only allows two corporate-sponsored parties the possibility of determining public policy.
          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Democrats need to get their asses whipped again and again until the clueless, self-absorbed "we preach to our own choir and screw the fact we've got no congregation" crowd that run the state and national party machines get ousted.

Once the handwringers are purged, then maybe a few centrist Dems will emerge with at least half a clue what resonates with the electorate.

Right now, the Democrats have nothing to offer, except a token clinging to the touchy-feely yuppie liberal left. They can't win the hard left, and they can't win the center, so we get the party of Barbara Boxer and Jesse Jackson.

The best thing that can happen for any Dem who thinks Bush's agenda is bad is to let him have control of the Congress. There won't be any excuses that way.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Given how whiny Democrats are sounding tonight, perhaps the GOP did pull off a stunning upset: no "midterm backlash."

Amazing.

Comment

monk
                MtG

WHy can't we be more like Israel? They have the whole 'no confidence' vote thing. And they have multiple parties that are forced to work together to get things done instead of wasting time and money pushing hardline stances.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Eevn if the democrats hold the senate by one miserable seat, whats the point?

Most fo them already abcked Bush on the Tax cut (disaster 1) and the Iraq resolution (possible disaster 2). I have yet to hear a single democrat offer some sort of plan or idea for action, something to look forward to in the future. you don't need control fo the senate to hold up judges. you still need 2/3 (I believe) for a lot of seats, so as long as the dems have 41 solid seats, they can filibuster any really objectionalbe ones.

The republicans, to win this election, ahve also watered down lots of their ideas, specially on Social security, but still, only the admin. seems to have a plan. again, I think it is a hideaous plan: that right now we should have a national themesong, and it shoul be the one playing as the guy on the look out post on the Titanic looks out at the dark sea, and slowly notices this starge black shape there... But again, since the democracts have none, even if they keep the senate all they can do is stall the Bush plan, but its all still about the Bush plan.

Comment

However the Senate race turns out it is truely amazing that in an off year election after two years of economic turmoil the sitting President's party is holding its ground in Congress.

Has this ever happened before?

Comment

I don't think so jimmy... ahhh the power of flag waving propaganda...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think Fox News is calling the Arkansas race for the Democrat, Pryor. But, as their website sucks, I'm getting my returns from CNN.com who hasn't called the race yet... though Pryor is leading 54-46% (38% of precincts reporting).

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                          Given how whiny Democrats are sounding tonight, perhaps the GOP did pull off a stunning upset: no "midterm backlash."

Amazing.
                          No, just utterly sad and frustrating.

I am a democrat simply because I despise (utterly and completely) significan portions of the Republican ideology. I know why they believe they are right, i just simply think they have their basic assumptions wrong about the world.

I am not an independent like other on this forum because I understand power and know that we have, and will have for a significant amount of time, a 2 party state since many of the political systems in theis country are buillt to favor the two main parties. Libertatians, greens, and centrist Independents don't have a chance, and won't for at least 20 more years.

I just bemoan the fact that the one practical alternative to the Republicans is run by such weak men.

Comment

You're right on Ge.
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                              However the Senate race turns out it is truely amazing that in an off year election after two years of economic turmoil the sitting President's party is holding its ground in Congress.

Has this ever happened before?
                              Not that i know. the last time a sitting president won seats in the house during an off year election was 1998 and Clinton, and he might have also won back some senate seat as well that year, I don't remember.

Perhaps this 'rule' of politics no longer applies.

Comment

Working...
                              X