X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah 312 Kiwis missing

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
      And where is Eli to gloat about how the Australians and Indonesians finally understand terrorism?
      Especially considering that many cite the policies that he supports, and America's blind support of the Israeli state under any circumstances as the cause of these terrorist attacks that are currently sweeping the World...

I for one am planning to be in Indonesia in January 2003 - for better or worse!
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

There you go again, Mobius, blaming the victims...
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          There you go again, Mobius, blaming the victims...
          Sorry?

I don't remember mentioning the Palestinians recently, actually.

Comment

You seem to be implying that the Australians and Kiwis were attacked because they were supporting the United States.

Comment

Australia is probably even more of an outspoken supporter of the US' wanting to declare war against Iraq than even the UK - at least it seems so from here...

Comment

So its their own fault then, for sending troops to Afghanistan?

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mention Afghanistan - I was talking about Iraq...

But if you believe it's their fault for sending troops to Afghanistan, well you are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

Comment

What were you trying to say then? You weren't being very clear as to why they'd attack Aussies.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                      What were you trying to say then? You weren't being very clear as to why they'd attack Aussies.
                      What part of...

"Australia is probably even more of an outspoken supporter of the US' wanting to declare war against Iraq than even the UK - at least it seems so from here..."

...isn't very clear?

Comment

I wasn't sure if you were being facetious, since what the Australian government is saying and what the average citizen is saying isn't quite the same thing.

Comment

Yes, but that's always the problem isn't it?

The decision makers know they will be safe from the consequences of their actions, whilst it is always the innocent that suffer!

Comment

There's been a lot of criticism of the Government on talkback radio today for being too high profile in supporting the United States and unnecessarily making Australians a target for terrorists.

There could be quite a backlash about it.

The other reaction, probably equally as strong, has been of defiance and goes a long the lines of "well f*ck the terrorists, we'll stand with our friends" i.e. the US and Britain.

The 2 sentiments aren't necessarily contradictory or opposed. The government is seen widely as being a stupid big mouth but at the same time there's a feeling of being in the same boat as the Americans and a quiet Australian sort of determination to get on and deal with this, in our own way and our own time.

Its the largest single loss of Australian life since World War II.
                            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; October 14, 2002, 08:07.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                              The other reaction, probably equally as strong, has been of defiance and goes a long the lines of "well f*ck the terrorists, we'll stand with our friends" i.e. the US and Britain.
                              I'm all for standing by our friends in time of need, I fully supported the demise (if not the method) of the Taliban.

Iraq IMO is something completely different and sinister and frankly I don't want to be a part of what Bush is proposing, yet because I carry a british passport I am seen as a US lackey in the eyes of Muslim fanatics...

The government is seen widely as being a stupid big mouth but at the same time there's a feeling of being in the same boat as the Americans.
                              Ain't that the truth!

Howard has been banging the drums of war for quite a few months lately, puffing his chest out like a right little nationalist! The moment the Iraqis threatened to cut Australian Grain revenues, the government started to choke. Now faced with backing up words with deeds in what could be a unilateral strike by the US, poor little Howard has been hastily backtracking!

Problem is, all the Muslim Fanatics remember is the sabre rattling!

...And now Australia is in the same boat as the US, because they climbed in!

Comment

This is a absolute disaster - the images and stories we're getting are horrific. But 200 missing, not 200 dead - there is still some hope.

Whatever the loss is in the end they've made Sunday a day of national mourning, this calls for it. Whether the dead are Australians, other Westerners or locals they all died for no reason.

****s. Terrorists make no bloody sense. Why blow up their own infrastructure to attack westerners who have nothing against them? Just for the record regardless of what Howard yaks most Australians don't want to go to war in the Middle East without the UN.

Aside from the grief I feel for my fellow nationals I can't help feel sorry for Bali's ruined image - it was a top tourist destination a few days ago, I myself was planning a holiday there next year. Tourism's all they've got. Indonesia's government better get off its corrupt backside and cooperate - for Bali and the Australians who won't be coming home.
                                "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Working...
                                X