Quick map for the new EU members.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick map for the new EU members.

Very fast map about whatever you know/comes to your mind.

Let's get to know them!

Cyprus.

Cyprus was liberated from the turkish yoke sometime but I dont remember/know when. Then it was a british colony. The brits hanged a teenager cyprus boy who fought for its independence sometime in the '50s!

Then it got its independence. There was always a lot of friction between turkey and greece about cyprus.

turkey always believed that cyprus constitutes a danger in its "tender underbelly". greece and turkey almost went to war for it.

in '67 a dictatorship takes power in greece and tries foolishly and without any kind of preparation to realize the "enosis". the unification of greece and cyprus.

many of the cypriotes didnt want it themselves. others did. the dictatorship has full faith in NATO and doesnt take into account the fact that turkey has moved the bulk of its forces next to the island (also called Megalonissos = the big island in greek).
    turkey invades, greece wholly unprepared and with its army in decay due to the dictatorship rushes to its aid and stops the turks one the 1/3 of cyprus. thousand of casualties, attrocities and rapes from the turks.
    international community freezes arms sales to turkey and promises a diplomatic solution. meanwhile greek dictatorship crumbles and democracy is reinstituted.

UN resolutions for the past 20 years call for the removal of the turkish troops. the island is de facto devided in two.

the original turkish cypriotes want to join the EU alongside the greek cypriotes but ankara and the dictatorship of the north part of the occupied island doesnt let them. ther occupied part is not recognised by the international community and its extremely impoverished.

cyrpus (the legal entity) is very prosperous and a financial center of the region.
    like greece it is vulnerable to inflitration from middle eastern elements due to its close proximity to that region.

estonia,latvia, lithuania, got their independence frm the soviet union pretty recently. have good relation with the scandinavian countries and finland. propably had to go through painful economic reforms. they are small and cute.
    estonian girls rock and lithuania kicks ass in basketball.

poland. americans make a lot of jokes about polish being dumb. i have met some of them and we have become good friends. their country is big but retarded economically. it suffered a lot in WW2. it provides cheap labor for germany. germany really wants poland in.

bulgaria. was liberated sometime after the greeks and serbs liberated themselves from the turkish yoke. was one of the participants of the first balkan alliance against turkey in 1 balkan war. (greece, serbia, montenegro, bulgaria). then the alliance broke down and fought against greece and serbia.
    it has a poor economy, provides unfortunately slave sex trade and we must do more to stop it from all over eastern europe. has maintained reasonably good relations with greece even though it sided with the axis in WW2. a good country.

slovenia. the richest of the ex-yugoslav republics. small, 2 million people. westernized and beaytiful. i think it has a vibrant creative youth. got spared the pain of the ygoslav war thanks to croatia which is between her and serbia. even though it is technically, it is not really a balkan country.

romania, after tsaouseskou things got better. big but a bit backward in economy. does its maximum of efforts to enter the EU. heavy greek investements there. (telecommunications, ship industry etc)

slovakia, the provence of the chech republic nah, not really although it always was a bit behind it. divided peacefully from chech republic. had dire violations of human rights in respect the the hungarian and other ethnicities that lived there. its government was under supervision. glad to see it overcame.

bored to write about the others.

I'll refrain from writing about Hungary, since I probably know too much.

Slovenia: Ski manufacturer "Elan", world class alpine skiers. Literally alpine, the Alps dominate the country.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Here's a list of possible new states for the U.S.:

Canada: Often referred to already as "the fifty first state," "America Jr.," "Canada, eh," "Old Woody," and "That country north of America." Contains one of the coolest cities on earth (Amsterdam, I mean Vancouver), has all the timber we'll need for some time, and plenty of prime skiing locations. The downsides: too many bums in Vancouver and the French Canadians.

Cuba: Once Fiedel is dead, America is going to say hello to it's little frien'. Lots of great cigars and beaches, plus American currency already runs the country. It would be a natural transition. More commonly known as "that place Scarface was from."

Taiwan: China can't invade it if it becomes a state...am I right or am I right? Would help our economy, and everyone wants to help our economy. Besides, we should be conquering land all the way around the world till we get back to Europe. Then we could teach those filthy frogs a lesson! Their flag could say "made in Taiwan" on it. It would be clever.

Turkey: Cause you filthy ****** over in Europe ain't ever going to let a muslim country into the EU, we'll stick up for the good guys and make'em a state. Advantages for turkey: stable currency, economy, and political system. Advantages for U.S.: gives us a launch pad to kick ass in the Middle East, Turkey is a cool place to visit, and gives us a launch pad to kick some frog ass.

Tunisia and Morrocco: Modern Arab countries that deserve democracy but won't get it unless we force it on 'em. Plus, they could act as a good platform to wipe out those filthy frogs.

That's all I can think of now.
      "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

Comment

Map of the 4th Reich:

CSPA

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Resistance is futile.

Comment

Malta:

Tiny islands south of Siciliy.
              Hot and dry.
              Overpopulated.
              Left hand driving.
              Catholic.
              Capital: Valletta.
              Language: Maltese (the only semitic language written in the Latin alphabet) and English.
              CSPA

Comment

Yes, I have been to Malta, it is small, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be an EU member as it seems prosperous enough.

And I have been to Cyprus. I reckon Turkey will have to do something about Northern Cyprus too before they have a cat in hell's chance of been admitted. I remember when I was in Cyprus seeing how Nicosia was split in two in a very crude way with makeshift blockades. And I saw Famagusta from a distance and it looked like a ghost town. What has happened there in recent time?

And it would be nice to see some of the Balkan states join the EU eventually, fill in that rather ugly gap

And why hasn't Norway ever bothered to join? No real loss I suppose
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

If Greeks are able to ban Turkey for human rights violations, rest of Europe should be able to ban Cyprus for always - without exception - giving the S.A.G.A.P.O nation 12 points in EuroVision.
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

And why hasn't Norway ever bothered to join? No real loss I suppose
                    We've voted no twice, in '72 and '94.

We have our own little club with Iceland and Liechtenstein.
                    Attached Files
                    CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
                      If Greeks are able to ban Turkey for human rights violations, rest of Europe should be able to ban Cyprus for always - without exception - giving the S.A.G.A.P.O nation 12 points in EuroVision.
                      what's wrong if they like our songs?

Comment

it's called aesthetic criterion.

Comment

what's wrong if they like our songs?
                          Yeeeaaaaaah.

Riiiiight.
                          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

And you get all the votes from all your neighboors too.
                            that's why scandinavian countries always win. because you have more neighboors. (not that finland ever won or is even scandinavian but still)

i won't stand for this defamation!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf

We've voted no twice, in '72 and '94.

We have our own little club with Iceland and Liechtenstein.
                              Wow, I bet they must put a lot of commerce your way, all 136 people who live in those countries
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X