No announcement yet.

Historical Finger Pointing, Issue I: World War I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roosians. They'd never stopped eyeing the Sick Man of Europe...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus

And I thought the US presidents had more loyalty to their country...

Russia (probably) still could have avoided the war. Germany was bound by treaty to Austria-Hungary, and England and France to Russia. So Germany's declaration of war to (I think it was thus) Russia, England and France just was a matter of logic and being faithful to the alliance. Germany had to declare war on France to gain a few days. And if you look at the geographical situation, the violation of Belgium's neutrality was also more than natural (after all, Belgium was Germany until 1792 or so ... ).
      In my earlier post, I more stressed the readiness to go to war, simply because I think it gives the more realistic picture.
      About the US: Even if they had not the power to make the war not happen, it was their free decision to enter the war (first economically, and then militaric).
      Germany did not really enter the war to defend Austria-Hungary; they strongly pushed Austria to start the war in the first place. There's the "blank check" mentioned above and more generally they had been pushing Austria to be more aggressive for years. They assured Austria they could handle Russia and France and were in fact eager for the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
        Russia (probably) still could have avoided the war. Germany was bound by treaty to Austria-Hungary, and England and France to Russia. So Germany's declaration of war to (I think it was thus) Russia, England and France just was a matter of logic and being faithful to the alliance.
        Any of the four nations I mentioned had the ability to prevent the war simply by not doing what they did. The Austrians could have let the assassination of a rather unpopular Archduke slide with only minor concessions from the Serbs. The Serbs could have cracked down on the terrorist groups, and accepted Austria's ultimatum. Russia could have told Serbia that they were at fault and to accept the conditions the Hapsburgs imposed. And Germany could have told the Austrians to chill and not anger the Russians.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

How the hell could you forget Turkey?
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Because they were pretty irrelevant.
            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Obviously most of you aren't trained historians.

The historical argument is pretty much dead for about 30 years although it fizzles on a bit. Germany was responsible. Our thanks to German Professor Fritz Fischer for pretty much settling the argument with his exhaustive research of the German archives.

No Consensus Yet on the
              Origins of the Great War

By Rob Ruggenberg

Don't be fooled: there is no such thing as an historical consensus on the origins of the Great War. But there is something coming close to it.

This happened before. In the past historians also almost reached a sort of mutual agreement on a revisionist interpretation which developed in the 1920's. Many years and thousands of studies later this interpretation is now, slowly, giving way for a new one.

This older view held that the war was the result of a conflict between imperialist states. It was preceded by a naval race, a great increase in armaments and rivalry between world empires for control of markets.

There was, it was argued, little to choose between the policies of the great powers. War broke out because everyone misjudged the consequences of the crisis created by the assassination of the Austrian Arch-Duke in Sarajevo.

In this version Austria-Hungary, for its unacceptable ultimatum to Serbia, and France and Russia, for their hasty decisions to mobilize, were judged to be the powers most responsible for starting the war. Germany and Britain attempted to find a compromise but were drawn into a conflict which neither imagined would last more than a few months.

Challenged
              This view of the origins of the war was challenged by the German historian Fritz Fischer. To the chagrin of other German intellectuals, who preferred the theory that the other countries involved in World War I were at fault, Fischer's concluded that the Germans under the Kaiser had expansionist goals in the war. Writing in the 1960's, in the aftermath of the Second World War, Fischer argued that leading groups in Germany - including the Kaiser - sought a war which would establish German control over much of Europe.

Germany, Fischer insisted in his book "Griff nach der Weltmacht (Grab at Worldpower, translated as "Germany's Aims in World War I"), deliberately encouraged the Austro-Hungarian monarchy to declare war on Serbia and actively sought war with France, hoping to repeat the victory of 1870, before dealing with Russia. Britain's small army could be ignored because the decisive engagements would be over within a few months.

Fischer based his material on the so called September plans and pointed out that there was a continuancy in German planning. His book was called Griff nach der Weltmacht (Grab at Worldpower).

His view of the origins of the Great War has not gone unchallenged. His most important opponents were Zara Steiner and Luigi Albertine. They made Fischer's book the subject of numerous discussions over the years, with Fischer sticking to his conclusions , even as Steiner and Albertine (and others) claimed he took historical quotes out of context.

Today many historians would agree with the general outlines of the Fischer thesis. Fischer died in December 1999, 91 years old (other books he wrote were "War of Illusions" in 1969 and "Hitler was Not an Accident" in 1992.)

Ironic...
              Canadian leading military historian prof. Terry Copp, who wrote most of the summary above, adds that this 'new consensus' must seem ironic to allied First World War veterans, ,,...because it presents the origins of the war much as the people of 1914 understood them."
              The scary part is Fischer shows that Imperial Germany's aims in WWI weren't much different from Hitler's in WWII. WWII was really a continuation of WWI.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

But weeks before the war started the Germans tried to back down but the Russians had already mobilized and refused. I voted for Russia.
                Duddha: I will return...
                Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
                "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
                Free California!

Comment

This was a family fight. If you look it up, you will find that most of the European heads of state were related to Queen Victoria of England. (Grandsons and Great-grandsons)
                  Someone in the family should have said we are having a family reunion and see if we can stop this fighting.

Comment

They were all to blame. Horse wishes the close the debate on Fischer's analysis, but the case is by no means closed. Not by a long shot. Fischer's analysis is flawed because Germany was not the only state with expansionist goals. The problem is the piling on Germany.

Nobody cared about the Archduke. He was one of those guys who would show up to a function and people would wonder what he would be doing there.

Seeing as he was the heir to the throne, I think he was a biiiit important.

The blame lays at Russia's feet. Serbia was about to accept Austria's ultimatum. They were just about to sign, when the Russkies sent a telegram saying they'd back the Serbians no matter what. This led to a change in the outward role of the Serbs to belligerant rather than accepting.

Of course if the Austrians decided on the Halt-In-Belgrade Plan after this, perhaps Russia wouldn't have declared war. Of course some blame Germany for pushing the Austrians not to do so.... and so on and so on.

Of course the Brits did not act in their natural role as a balancer. They should have manifest their committment to oppose Austria and Germany in the beginning as they did for over 200 years before.

In conclusion all are to blame, but if I was to rank them:

Russia
                    Austria
                    UK
                    Germany
                    Serbia
                    France
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                      While I'm on the subject, the Kaiser didn't help any. Wilhelm was, by all accounts, not all that bright, weak in resolve, and (this is for Boris Gudonov) rumored to be quite gay. He had eratic mood swings and failed to take diplomacy seriously.
                      There was never any serious suspicious that Wilhelm was gay. What happened was the the German Social Democrats used their party newspaper tp accuse Germany's wealthiest industrialist, Alfred Krupp, of having sex with young men in Capri (partly as a tactic to force the repeal of Paragraph 175, the German law against homosexual acts). Krupp ended up committing suicide, and the Kaiser decried it as "intellectual murder," as Krupp was a friend of his.

Anyway, it started a period where the most common political smear tactic was to accuse opponents of being homosexual. The scandals came to head beginning in 1905, when the Kaiser's best friend, Phillip zu Eulenberg, was accused of being a homosexual by a recently-dismissed Counselor of the Kaiser, von Holstein. Eulenberg had long been a pacifist, and Holstein a military hawk, so Holstein believed Eulenberg responsible for his dismissal. Holstein got a political ally who ran a newspaper to publish a charge that Eulenberg was the lover of General von Moltke, the commandant of Berlin. In the meantime, an extremist gay activist named Brand also accused the German Chancellor of having an affair with his male secretary.

The accusations resulted in several libel suits. Moltke, after an initial acquittal of his case, won his libel suit against the newspaper owner, who spent 4 months in jail. Brand was also found guilty of libel and served 6 months. Then Eulenberg, oddly enough, was charged with perjury. However, he fell ill during the trial, which was postponed several times, for years, until Eulenberg finally died.

During all this, the Kaiser had a nervous collapse. He never believed the accusations, but his court was permanently disrupted by the matter. There is some speculation that the disruption was successful in pushing Wilhelm away from the moderates like Eulenberg and towards the war hawks who wanted war with France.

Regardless, there was never any accusation Wilhelm himself was homosexual, nor is their any historical evidence to support it. Eulenberg and Moltke, however, most likely were.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The archduke was one of the cooler heads in the Austro- Hungarian Empire. A lot of times, everyone in the monarchy wanted to go and wipe out the serbs, but Ferdinand always was against them. Kinda ironic that he was later shot by the Serbs. They had cut their own throats.
                        As usual, there is enough blame to go around
                        1. The German - England naval race
                        2. Colonial tensions in Morocco, etc.
                        3. The whole alliance system
                        4. Extreme nationalism
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

You guys are just a bunch of ignorant putzes. The Fischer thesis is the only game in town and the historical argument has ended, oh about 30 freakin years ago!

Germany was responsible for WWI.

Go and read Fischer's definitive book - you only need read the first 70 or so pages and a very good read too - very exciting. At every stage Germany is behind the scenes pushing for war.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

What? I already blamed Germany and Germany Junior (Austria) for it!
                            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Smart boy

I think the main thing this thread shows is what a piece of crap the American education system is. Fischer published the definitive account of the origins of World War I, clearly showing Germany's culpability, in 1961 and yet most of the self appointed "experts" commenting here haven't even heard of Professor Fischer and are regurgitating discredited pre 61 theories.

1961 was over 40 years ago people

Next thing these same palukas will be telling me Hitler came to power because the Versailles Treaty was too harsh

But this thread is fun to see all the crackpot historical myths you people believe.

No wonder we're on the brink of war again

Comment

Alexander, there are other authorities on how WWI began besides Fischer. Why not pick up my main authority, The First World War by A.J.P Taylor. Different perspectives are helpful.
                                Duddha: I will return...
                                Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
                                "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
                                Free California!

Comment

Working...
                                X