Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man kills burglar in UK, gets life for manslaughter.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    "As it stands now criminals in Britain are protected while they rape and pillage a private home unless the resident knows for sure that all is well really and the criminal is probably not that bad once you get to know him."

    Congratulations on your imaginative powers. It would be more interesting to hear on what you base this.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by MikeH
      He stabbed him 12 times in the back then threw away the bloody clothing.

      Hardly self defence is it?
      This seems suspiscious, but if I felt my wife and children were in danger, the wounds would have been more severe than that. Intruder running away or not. The article mentions no evidence as to an explanation other than a burglary in progress when the killing occured.

      Throwing away the bloody clothes is suspicious, but comon, if that's all the prosecution has, their case is pretty thin.

      I have heard of similar cases in the US. I can't name it, but supposedly a bank robber was killed in a shootout with police. His wife sued the police department for failing to provide medical assistance quickly enough, and won a wrongful death civil settlement. The shootout was not over when this man was hit.

      Life imprisonment is load of sh1t. I hope this gets reversed on appeal.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by SpencerH
        Dont forget the German student (I think) who wa slost in Houston and went up to a door to ask directions. He was shot and killed by an elderly man who said he feared for his life. I dont think he was even charged.

        And how is that compared to this?

        THe guy wasn't in the house, and the man opened the door.

        Totaly different.
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

        Comment


        • #19
          It is based on an immediate confrontation where you do not know what he has done or what he is going to do. What should you do -- walk down to the streetcorner and call the police while he does whatever he wants? Or should he assume the best is probably happenning?

          Comment


          • #20
            "But, the burglar committed the initial wrong here. It's quite plausible to suggest the burglar must bear all risk that "reasonable force" turns into something else."

            The burglar bears that risk but it is still possible that the force used goes beyond reasonable for reasons that imply an element of guilt on the defender's side. Once it goes beyond the line there is not much leeway to escape manslaughter. Yet the circumstances can be considered in the actual sentencing.

            I'd assume that the jury did not buy the defendant's entire story as if all that were true it could exclude a conviction.

            Comment


            • #21
              AFAIK UK law allows whatever action is required to protect yourself, but you are not allowed to exceed that limit.

              If a guy breaks into your house you can't just blast his brains out.

              If he breaks in and starts a fight you can give him a good kicking. But if you are in a superior position, stabbing his back several times is not justified.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

              Comment


              • #22
                What would Jesus have done?

                Stabbed him 12 times in the back?
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

                Comment


                • #23
                  "Life imprisonment is load of sh1t. I hope this gets reversed on appeal."

                  Maybe you should edit the thread title to avoid further confusion:

                  From the story: "Hastings, who was remanded in custody to be sentenced next month, faces a maximum penalty of life imprisonment."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                    but you are not allowed to exceed that limit.
                    So who wrote down the limits? That right there means it can be read as "verbal insults" would be enough.


                    Silly europeans...
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ron Jeremy
                      What would Jesus have done?

                      Stabbed him 12 times in the back?
                      We're not talking about a candidate in US elections.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        If anyone is interested I will tell you what I did when I was confronted by a burglar with a gun in my home...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Roland
                          "Life imprisonment is load of sh1t. I hope this gets reversed on appeal."

                          Maybe you should edit the thread title to avoid further confusion:

                          From the story: "Hastings, who was remanded in custody to be sentenced next month, faces a maximum penalty of life imprisonment."
                          Even the possibilty of that is crap.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            There is no mention of stabbing anyone in the back. There is mention of the burglar carrying a "jemmy" that I assume is the same as a small "crowbar".

                            I'm so glad I no longer live in England.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Lincoln
                              If anyone is interested I will tell you what I did when I was confronted by a burglar with a gun in my home...
                              Please do.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Ok, I am interested.
                                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X