The two faces of Islam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    there is never a direct call that all non-believers should be killed if they refuse to convert.

Why does it have to be direct? It seems that if you take all the actions of the Old Testament God, you have a God that says all un-believers should be killed. You are blaming the Koran for simply putting that into writing .
    Not a smoking chance in hell . . . While it is true that the "God of the Old Testament" is a more violent and vengeful God (at least superficially speaking), there is simply no question in the OT that the pregorative to kill lies with God and God alone. As the creator of life, he may also destroy life. Humans are expressly forbidden from murder . . . it is in the Ten Commandments. Now, killing on the part of humans seems, at least in the OT, to be justified if it is in accordance with the judgment of God. How this plays out is difficult to assess and might leave a bit of squeaking room for your assessment (but not much) . . . But, it would seem that killing is justified as a retribution for certain types of crime and as a part of war only. . .

The God of the OT is not an indiscrimnate God in the application of force. Not all un-believers are condemned. Rather, the OT sets in force quite a remarkable system of laws designed to protect foreigners, immigrants, etc.
    Visit my site at http://www.anduril.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Read the Bible again. Especially the Old Testament.

The old testiment does have a vengeful god who turns the cities of Sadam & Gamora to Salt, who orders Moses to kill his son, and what not.
      Read your bible again . . . it's Abraham not Moses . . .

Comment

If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely, [1] both its people and its livestock. 16 Gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. It is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt. 17 None of those condemned things [2] shall be found in your hands, so that the Lord will turn from his fierce anger; he will show you mercy, have compassion on you, and increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your forefathers, 18 because you obey the Lord your God, keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes

Deuteronomy chapter 13, verses 12-18
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
          If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely, [1] both its people and its livestock. 16 Gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. It is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt. 17 None of those condemned things [2] shall be found in your hands, so that the Lord will turn from his fierce anger; he will show you mercy, have compassion on you, and increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your forefathers, 18 because you obey the Lord your God, keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes

Deuteronomy chapter 13, verses 12-18
          Note: None of the subjects of God's wrath in these verses are un-believers. They are believers that are apostazing and influencing others to do the same. Big difference.

Comment

Nope. Note how it's in reference to the "towns God gave you to live in" (paraphrase).

This means that Jews are justified in wholesale slaughter of all inhabitants of historical Judaea&Samaria (West Bank), etc.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nope. Note how it's in reference to the "towns God gave you to live in" (paraphrase).
              Read it again. Yes it is. Notice the tense patterns and the use of pronouns. The people being spoken to, namely believers, are already occupying the towns.

This means that Jews are justified in wholesale slaughter of all inhabitants of historical Judaea&Samaria (West Bank), etc.
              Not in the least . . . The instructions are occasion specific and again the passage refers to the believers.

Comment

No, it refers to all inhabitants of the "towns God is giving you to live in".

Which in Deuteronomy refers to a specific geographic area (the promised land).

Not "the towns in which Jews are a majority", not "the inhabitants who are corrupted Jews".
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Okay. This is going to take a little explaining . . .

Deuteronomy, in large part, consists of Moses' final speeches to the Israelites before his death and prior to the beginning of the conquest. As this book and the subsequent book, Joshua, argue, the conquest is a war led by the Lord, meaning that certain rules apply. God is judging the inhabitants of the land and everything in the land is placed under a sacrificial ban: everyone and everything must be destroyed before the Israelites take up occupancy. In the passage you are quoting, Moses is relating how the Israelites must conduct themselves after the conquest. It presumes that the conquest was followed according to the instructions given and therefore, there would be no un-believers in the land unless they immigrated after the conquest: they've already been killed. The instructions to destroy a city in apotasy are instructions to destroy an Israelite population in an Israelite city.

BTW, even if you continue to read your way, what I said in earlier posts is still accurate, the prerogative to kill remains God's alone . . . it is given into human hands only to judge a crime (which is where Deut 13:12ff. falls in) or as part of war (which is where the conquest fits in). Now, here's the squeaking room I was talking about . . . how do we know God really stands behind these commands?

Comment

The difference between the Islamic conception of violence and war and the OT version of it is that some passages of the Qu'ran present violence and killing as an enduring, universal command whereas the OT almost always limits it to specific times, events, and/or circumstances. The enduring and universal command in the OT; that is, the command that has no qualifications or time restrictions, is the one in the Ten Commandments: Thou shalt not kill. It is also repeated in positive form: Love the Lord your God and Love your neighbor as yourself.

Comment

ck, the prerogative to kill lies in God's hands alone in the Quran too, if we're going to interpret it as broadly as that.

And I also seem to remember the Quran making direct statements against murdering other "peoples of the book" (Christians+Jews) because of their persistence of belief...and against conversion by the sword.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How far do you want to split the fvcking hair Frogger?

I don't recall in my lifetime any Christian Crusades to overcome the unbelievers. Why is so hard for so many to accept that the Christian (and Athiest) West is very different from the sh!t that is going on among militant Muslims?

'Islam... It's all Peace'... what a joke. That is the pablum the CBC and others were trying to pass off as fact in the days following 9/11. Why do you have a problem with a book that pr!cks that bubble of fantasy?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

ck, the prerogative to kill lies in God's hands alone in the Quran too, if we're going to interpret it as broadly as that.
                          To a certain extent you might be right. I must admit I have not read the Qu'ran in great depth. However, as I far as I can see it, violence and killing in the Qu'ran is glorified in a way in which it is not in the OT. For instance, the quotes from the Qu'ran offered in the post that began this thread do not really have an equivalent in the OT. The idea that killing can win you a place in paradise or win God's favour is not really stated in the OT. Okay. Certainly as the Dt passage suggests, God directs killing and fulfilling the command earns some measure of approval from God but it is still quite different than Qu'ranic idea of an individualized act of killing an infidel as praiseworthy. Killing in the OT is an act carried out as a measure of divine justice in response to a specified transgression or in the course of war. Outside of such specified situations, it is expressly forbidden. It is almost always a corporate resonsibility rather than an individualized one. In the Qu'ran, it seems to me that killing an infidel requires little or even no justification and the individual, rather than a corporate body of people, is charged with carrying out the act. Ach, do you get what I'm getting at? I feel like I'm not really explaining myself well . . .

Also and perhaps more to the important, I think more of the OT and the NT rejects and condemns killing than defends killing. On the other hand, I'm not sure the Qu'ran present such a favourable picture of the virtues of non-violence, peace, and love as many parts of the OT and NT do.

And I also seem to remember the Quran making direct statements against murdering other "peoples of the book" (Christians+Jews) because of their persistence of belief...and against conversion by the sword.
                          I believe you are accurate, although it doesn't make me feel any better that Christians and Jews might be technically exempt from physical jihad.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                            How far do you want to split the fvcking hair Frogger?

I don't recall in my lifetime any Christian Crusades to overcome the unbelievers. Why is so hard for so many to accept that the Christian (and Athiest) West is very different from the sh!t that is going on among militant Muslims?

'Islam... It's all Peace'... what a joke. That is the pablum the CBC and others were trying to pass off as fact in the days following 9/11. Why do you have a problem with a book that pr!cks that bubble of fantasy?
                            Xianity as practiced today...in the West...is a better religion than Islam as practiced today...in the ME or Pakistan, Phillipines, etc.

Happy sweethearts?
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I have no special love for Islam, and am under no delusions as to the extent that the Muslim world as a whole respects human rights...
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Faeelin

I don't know. Crusades, which promised that anyone who died was instantly going to heaven? Reconquista?
                                That was a pope to promised those who died in the crusades a place in heaven. That was more than 1000 years after Christ. If it marked a change from "turn the other cheek," then I ask when did Islam have the same change, but in the opposite direction. When did peaceful co-existence with the Infidel become the norm?

I note that Islamic armies (Turkish) continued to assault Europe until just a few hundred years ago, the Moguls in India did not give up power until the last century, IIRC.

Where-ever you see a non Islamic people bordering or being the dominant culture in a nation, you tend to see either war or terrorism. What does this mean other than than Islam has never, ever been a peaceful religion.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X