Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYC Mayor wants to ban smoking in all bars and restaurants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fez
    Tuber, drinking in moderation is not a bad thing to do... so what if you want to drink maybe one glass... should you have to breath in smoke that youdon't want to?

Excuse me? At least we know about the dangers of smoking.

So do I, however, if I am smoking and you come to where I am at, then tell me to put out the cigarette.

Piss off!

You moved from where you were safe from my smoke to where my smoking could, in theory, hurt you. That would be your problem not mine.

However, If you were at the bar and I went up to you and lit up, you would have every right to ask me to put it out or go somewhere else, and I would.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Tuber: Why would I move over to you when you are smoking and ask you to put it out? I never suggested doing so.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Fez: Some people actually will do that, those are the people that piss me off.
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
          Fez: Some people actually will do that, those are the people that piss me off.
          Well I certainly wouldn't.... I am trying to teach myself to respect others who have different habits.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by alva848

But I don't think this should be impossed on them and their clients IMHO

P.S.: I do smoke myself
            Why should a deadly chemical be forced on those that like life?

Quit smoking. Whatever excuse you give its the nicotine doing your thinking. You do not want to die that way. Sure you may die some other way but you will age faster even if you do manage to avoid a heart attack or the lovely mercies of carcinoma.

My mother was the only smoker in the family and was the only one in the family that looked her age. That is till she died with four brain tumors, a possible liver tumor (no sense bothering to find out if the shadow was a tumor) and a nice tiny little spot on her lungs that was small cell lyphoma, a nasty little thing that metastisizes easily, hence the four brain tumors.

The sooner you quit the better you chances of long term survival will be.

The sooner you quit the less premature aging you will suffer.

The sooner you quit the sooner you will be sick less often.

If you think I am outspoken on this you should hear my brother. He would like to kill the tobacco executives that lied for decades. I figure life in prison would be more reasonable. After all my mother did know that it wasn't good for her. However once a person gets hooked they mostly let the addiction do the thinking for them.

If you just try to ignore this that is what is happening. The addiction is closing your mind to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Fez

Well I certainly wouldn't.... I am trying to teach myself to respect others who have different habits.
              Even communists?
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Good for him.
                I do not smoke
                Last edited by Guest; August 12, 2002, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Echinda
                  So vote with your feet. Don't go to clubs that allow smoking. Be vocal about it to the club owner. Make your feelings known.
                  Thats the point - what club doesn't allow smoking?
                  If you want to go out, it means that you have to accept ending up smelling like an ashtray as well as accepting all the damage 2nd hand smoke does to you.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X

Even communists?
                    Well I lack pity for people who have bad habits like communism, drinking and smoking (all of which are hazardous to your health)... but yes even communists or at least I try.

Comment

A smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
                        A smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
                        I read this and started to laugh. You are OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                          Thats the point - what club doesn't allow smoking?
                          If you want to go out, it means that you have to accept ending up smelling like an ashtray as well as accepting all the damage 2nd hand smoke does to you.
                          True. But though literally dozens of people have said this very thing to me, the first, and only IIRC, non-smoking club in Vancouver (a pretty militantly anti-smoking city) went under in less than a year. The owner lost his shirt. Why? Nobody went there. The place was dead. He tried booking the best DJs and bands. No dice. He had a killer sound system. No dice. I went there twice with a couple of anti-smoking zealots I know and even they threw in the towel after the second attempt. A local paper interviewed him the day he locked the doors and he said, to paraphrase, "Let's face it. The people who go to clubs aren't exactly the best crowd to tell they can't do something."
                          What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

I heard about that place in Vancouver. Where I live it is smoke free in all public places. I used to smoke but gave it up years ago. Now I can't stand the smell of if. If my kids ever dare to light up I'll have a fit.

Comment

I don't see the point of all the arguing about allowng smoking in public. Either put a total ban on the sale and posession of tobacco or shut up about the subject. I don't soke so it wouldn't bother me either way. Smoking doesn't bother me nor as I worried about the health risk, Everyone is going to die anyway.

There is no law stopping a club from putting in its own non smoking policy and nothing forcing non-smokers to goto smoking clubs. The way I see it this is just another stupid law for PR only.
                              God---He's my favorite fictional charater.----Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Peacemaker
                                nor as I worried about the health risk, Everyone is going to die anyway.
                                But dying at 95 is better than 35 w/lung cancer.

Comment

Working...
                                X