Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYC Mayor wants to ban smoking in all bars and restaurants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echinda, that sounds fine to me... but you do not have a right to go into a bar that has kids under the age of 21 and does not encourage smoking, and light up a cigarette. I was not inferring anything else.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Echinda
      why shouldn't we just be left the hell alone?
      Because you people won't stop forcing your smoke on us non-smokers.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm all for keeping kids free from second hand smoke. And smoking in a restaurant is just rude to your fellow patrons (no food, even lunch counter fare, tastes better with cigarette smoke).

But I want to be able to sit somewhere for a leisurely chat with my friends, drink a rye and soda and have a cigarette now and again. Bloomberg doesn't want to let people, who are perfectly willing, the freedom to provide a venue for that activity. Which sucks.
        What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Because you people won't stop forcing your smoke on us non-smokers.
          You can't believe that. If you did, you would have to ban communism, because communists won't stop trying to force their beliefs on non-communists. And believe me, there is plenty of evidence that communism is bad for your health.

Comment

Ech: Alright... alright... maybe I was being too defensive... but I still side with Bloomberg.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

There´s been talk of banning smoking in pubs and restaurants in Sweden as well. I think it´s a great idea

I occasionally smoke tobacco but I HATE smoky pubs, it gets in my clothes, my hair, my eyes start to itch, etc.

But I don´t think a total banning is a good idea, but rather only allowing smoking in special 'smoke pubs' where the guests and the staff has made an active choice visiting/working.
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Seriously, like 72º today.

I didn't say it was ALWAYS cold, but it gets cold enough that you don't really enjoy being outside. All year round too, i was miserably cold most nights, even during june/july, etc. Especially on the coast.
                -connorkimbro
                "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I can't stand going to clubs anymore because of the smoke. You leave smelling like an ashtray, and it gets in your lungs and you're hackin up black gunk for days afterwards. I'm totally with the Republican mayor on this one.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So vote with your feet. Don't go to clubs that allow smoking. Be vocal about it to the club owner. Make your feelings known.

But don't have an outright ban. That's weak.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      I'm totally with the Republican mayor on this one.

I thought I would never hear this one.....

Comment

Same thing happened in some Maine cities, the main issue was the health of the workers at the places since they were getting massive amounts of second hand smoke.
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

When I lived in Utah they banned smoking in all places except bars and private clubs( bars that serve hard liquor). So a lot of places like bowling alleys set up smoking rooms and didn't allow people in during their leagues.

Now, they don't even bother with the pretense of being a private club, smokers just smoke in their little rooms.
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Banning it in bars is silly to me. Drinking isn't exactly a healthy activity either. But if I was smoking and somebody asked me to put it out, I'd do it. Unless I was there first.

Then they can take their non-smoking a$$ elsewhere.
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Tuber, drinking in moderation is not a bad thing to do... so what if you want to drink maybe one glass... should you have to breath in smoke that youdon't want to?

Then they can take their non-smoking a$$ elsewhere.
                              Excuse me? At least we know about the dangers of smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko
                                Same thing happened in some Maine cities, the main issue was the health of the workers at the places since they were getting massive amounts of second hand smoke.
                                Exactly, the government clearly has a role in making sure workplaces are safe. As it is, working in a bar that allows smoking is amoung the least safe jobs. As a non-smoker I don't mind too much chillin at a smoking bar for a few hours (although that smell you get is nasty) but for people who work there 20-50 hours a week the danger is insane.

Comment

Working...
                                X