Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYC Mayor wants to ban smoking in all bars and restaurants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Mayor wants to ban smoking in all bars and restaurants.

I kind of like the idea, but Im worried that it may have an impact on the economy as smokers may be less likely to go out if they cant smoke. I think there should at least be a few places they can go and smoke, even if most places are non-smoking.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

This is the way it's done in the entire state of california.

Most places (bars or whatever) will have an outside patio.

As a smoker, it was never really inconvenient or anything. So, even as a smoker i'd say, sure go for it.
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Hey, speak for yourself. It gets ***$ cold here in December through March. I sure wouldn't like to have to head out to the patio for a cig....
      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Shouldn't this be left to the owners.
        If they don't want you to smoke, ok fine , no prob.
        But I don't think this should be impossed on them and their clients IMHO

P.S.: I do smoke myself
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

...then again, I guess it's more incentive to quit
          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I say ban smoking from bars and restaurants, absolutely... if some onewants to screw up their health in private... FINE! (which is completely undisputed, smoking does severely damage health) But there is one thing they DO NOT have a right to do and that is screw with the health of those who do not smoke. I find it to be a disgusting and filthy habit that people can light up a cigarette next to those who do not smoke, possibly damaging their health. I am all for this proposal. And am all against smoking in public areas.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Hey, speak for yourself. It gets ***$ cold here in December through March. I sure wouldn't like to have to head out to the patio for a cig....

It get's pretty ****ing cold in northern california too. it sucked being outside, but it was the rule, can't smoke inside. anywhere, in any public building, almost without exception. (we COULD smoke inside the local tobacco shop for some reason)

Anyway, i WAS speaking for myself, in saying, for me, it wasn't that big of a deal.
              -connorkimbro
              "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Anyway, i WAS speaking for myself, in saying, for me, it wasn't that big of a deal.
                I know. I was just pondering the logistics. Anyway, Michigan is probably the unhealthiest state in the union, and such a measure would probably provoke mass pandemonium among the blue collar, six-pack and Marlboro, clientele.

Personally, I would support it as further incentive.

Comment

Damn - one of the pleasures of moving to NYC from the west coast was leaving the freakin' puritans behind and being able to smoke while drinking again.

As for the "they'll stay at home" comment. Not likely in New York. Apartments here are so small you have to go out just to live your life. Or move to the 'burbs where a guy can happily smoke on his patio in peace.
                  What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Echinda, who gives you a right to mess up the health of another person who does not smoke? For goodness sakes...
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro

It get's pretty ****ing cold in northern california too.
                      Seriously, like 72º today.

Very few people I know smoke anymore, except for the 14 year olds at the coffee shop trying to look older.
                      Be the bid!

Comment

I don't go to any restaurants where they let people smoke with out sealing them up in their own little room or something.

There's not much that I hate more then cigarettes.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I take it that a lot of bars have to close for lack of customers
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

The problem with leaving it up to owners is they tend to side with the smokers rather than the vast majority of us who don't smoke.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If I want to smoke and someone else wants to offer me a bar to go to where I can smoke, where people know smoking will happen and adults under the age of 21 aren't even allowed in, why shouldn't we just be left the hell alone?

For goodness sakes...
                              What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Working...
                              X