X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Eternity gets that boring, huh?
    Another hapless victim falls into our trap...
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rugby - The game they play in heaven

Originally posted by finbar

A surprise would have been if the damn thing had got to 500!
      :sheepishgrin:

But you know what's going to happen, don't you? A troublemaker - like Tamerlin, for instance - is going to jump in next time to beat you to the punch! The thread will be closed at 150 posts and a new one started!
      Awwww....nah, Tamerlin is too nice for that, arent ya Tamerlin old buddy

Anyway, as the first person ever to start a rugby thread on Apolyton (as far as I know), I claim the right to be thread starter from now on.

Comment

Who what Havak said about who? What? When?
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Who what Havak said about who? What? When?
          See what I mean, Cal? If you'd included the Except The Western Suburbs Of Chester in the thread title, nongs like Immortal Dingbat would have been so baffled they'd've stuck to their usual Poll: Which Side Do You Part Your Hair? threads.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

See what I mean, Cal? If you'd included the Except The Western Suburbs Of Chester in the thread title, nongs like Immortal Dingbat would have been so baffled they'd've stuck to their usual Poll: Which Side Do You Part Your Hair? threads.
            True. Hopefully thats the last of the heathens.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
              True. Hopefully thats the last of the heathens.
              Maybe we ought to put a subheading on the thread title. Something like - You have to be able to spell and structure a sentence in order to post in this thread!. That should take care of most of the potential American intruders, anyway.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Thank god you changed your avatar back, Caligastia.

Rugby! Gah! I'm fragile! I'll never play that violent game...
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Eternity gets that boring, huh?
                  You should know, you immortal pest.

Maybe we ought to put a subheading on the thread title. Something like - You have to be able to spell and structure a sentence in order to post in this thread!. That should take care of most of the potential American intruders, anyway.
                  I still don't know why they spell things differently - like colour becoming 'color'.

Tamerlin really dislikes SH refs you know. Of course he is quite right - they are generally appalling for, as the laws of the game are very clear on, there is no interpretation - you are inside the laws or you are outside them.
                  I dont like refs fullstop. I don't think SH refs are as bad as that, though.

I dont hate Wallabies, I just dont love them.
                  That what Havak said, how can you hate those guys? - revised note to self: Caligastia and Havak wil point out every flaw the Wallabies present.

Think all those sorts of rankings - even the cricket ones - are faintly ludicrous, m'self. They prove nothing except that the system is flawed. I mean, even the WRC only proves a point at a particular moment in time. Things can change so rapidly.
                  Yeah, that's exactly right. Especially the cricket ones!

You have too. I'm going to have to take NeoStar aside and explain the two simple facts of thread life to him:....
                  Got it.

I heard the Boks are using refs at training - I'm glad they've finally got some sense into them. They are at home and the All Blacks are shaken up...you never know

Thank you for your loan proposal Finbar, I will try to handle the situation with the 25 Civ Gold I have for the moment.
                  EDIT - Look, is this real money?
                  Last edited by NeoStar; August 7, 2002, 03:21.
                  "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

I am unsure that refs will help boks a lot.
                    What kind of fouls do you do during training?
                    Fouls like being offside, playing the ball when you shouldn't. That is usually because either you don't know the laws of the game, in which case, what are you doing there wearing a Bok jersey?? Or because you can't be bothered at training, or decide to make a foul just to piss off your mate.
                    In a match, you don't do fouls for the same reasons. First you do things like late tackles. I yet have to see that on a training ground. Same for punches, kick and that sort of things. The discipline to avoid that in a match won't be provided by refs on the training ground. Of course, the boks don't need such discipline, they have never behaved like brutes on a field. That is strictly reserved ot us French, isn't it?
                    Other fouls in play can be tactical (let's stop that maul by falling - 3 points are less than 7) or because of the excitement of the game, or because you are so tired that you no longer know that you don't have the right to pick up the ball that is just here in front of you. I doubt refs can provide much discipline here too.

This is where rugby is cruel. Imagine a poor prop, who has touched the ball once this season because he had to throw in a lineout after the hooker and his replacement were hurt, suddenly finds himself in front of the ovoid thing during a match. This is near the end of the match. Based on the number of scrums in the second half, there can't be more than one or two lineouts left to play, and maybe one scrum, depending on the ball handling of the backs. The opponent have scored more than our prop's team, by a little margin. Does or prop remember that he is supposed not to go around the scrum but enter it from behind the feet (hint!) in order to allow the pesky scrum half to get the ball and trhow it to the backs who will let it fall, thus giving the opponent team a scrum 10 meters back? He is so much tempted to take the ball and run (well trot, or walk fast) in order to play like the Blanco, Sella, Underwood, Campese and Codorniou? That is because he saw people like them that he came to rugby in the first place. Of course, when the coach saw he was 20 lbs overweight, he told him that 1 was much neater than 12, but still, isn't modern rugby all about playing the ball? Our poor scrum, notwithstanding the fact that the far too long legs of his comrades extend their feet too far from the ball, rushes and decides to save the day by scoring a try, or at least making a charge into the face of the opponent scrum half, who is so tiny that he will probably break in half. So, excited by the new prospect of handling the ball, the prop touches the thing, and suddenly a whistle reaps his dreams apart.
                    (of course I said prop, but hooker, lock will do too - even winger except for the overweight part).
                    Will refs during training prevent players who are tired or in a critical situation from making mistakes? Particularly refs of your own country? Ask Tamerlin why the boks might get some good from having NH refs during their training. But boks refereed by boks. What will they learn?
                    Last edited by LDiCesare; August 7, 2002, 04:47.
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoStar
                      EDIT - Look, is this real money?
                      Neo, if you want in, you start with 100 civ gold, wager whatever you wish on the outcome of a particular match and then split the proceeds (made up from the pool wagered by the "losing" side) with the rest of the "winning" side proportionally with regards to your wagered amount.

It is in no way real money. Just for fun (although if finbar keeps doing as well as he did last week he may start trying to convince people otherwise ).

Comment

to acknowledge the worthiness of anything of Celtic hue

To clarify that only in regards to rugby. I deeply respect celtic culture in other ways. And I really like Guinness.

that Provost Harrison has Celtic blood somewhere in his thin veins
                        Well until very recently that gentleman resided in Hull did he not – a bastion of League territory. As such he is corrupted by association and we need not regard anything he might say as having any import whatsoever

Grin and bear it Havak! It will only happen once!
                        Yeah right. That’s what I said after the Aussies won RWC 91!

I don’t think you understand the risk – if a Valley boy finds the thread it will die under a deluge of posts explaining why Pontyprid under 15 reserves are the best club side in the world.

Mmmmm. I'm not sure that the word appeasement exists in Havak's online dictionary.
                        Well it certainly is not in my rugby dictionary as has been adequately proved I think?

I don't think SH refs are as bad as that, though.
                        In applying the laws? I’m afraid they are. As people I’m sure they are great blokes. Or is one of you prepared to argue SH refs apply more of the laws on average??

The underlying killing question is why do we have refs? Think about it. They are not there as spectators are they? Well actually some SH refs are at the scrum and mauls – over to you Tamerlin.

Caligastia and Havak will point out every flaw the Wallabies present.
                        Though we will also point out every flaw the ABs and England present – we are fair like that.

They are at home and the All Blacks are shaken up...you never know
                        Indeed – but you have to factor in that there is bad blood between the Boks and Aussies right now. Couple that with the fact they tidily put you away in South Africa last year and I think your game is more marginal than the ABs.

Time for Havak to lose more money betting against the Green and Gold?

Very interesting post LdiCesare. I think you have a real point – training is totally different to match conditions. You often hear coaches say we don’t give away points in training.

Have the refs for the two remaining games been appointed? Fingers crossed for NH types just to add some grist to the thread.

David McHugh is a nice choice to helm RSA-Australia the second year running?
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

4. As far as Tamerlin is concerned, the SH should only be talked about in terms of a pleasant holiday destination.
                          Not for the other Rugby teams.

*alwaaays look on the briiiight side of life!*
                          Isn't it contradictory with your Urantia Book Caligastia (not sure of the title) ?

Awwww....nah, Tamerlin is too nice for that, arent ya Tamerlin old buddy
                          You're right Caligastia, as far as no one is speaking about SH referees I'am always very nice.

Very interesting post LDiCesare, but training with a referee (Joël Dumé) seems to have helped the French team during the Six Nations Tournament as they have commited few fouls, it seems he gave our players some precious advices.

... - over to you Tamerlin.
                          Thanks Havak !

Oh yes, the SH are truly bad because their interpretation of the rules are deeply modifying the spirit of the game. Their lenient perception of the rules are becoming such a habit the SH spectators don't understand why a referee whistles some very important fouls (at least in NH standards) from times to times.

Of course, this leniency would not bother me if these misinterpretations of the rules were common only in games between SH teams. But when a NH team plays against a SH team with a SH referee, the NH players have to adapt to a different set of rules, which is not a good thing.

The previous sentences are for the newcomers as they have not read the first thread (simply titled : Rugby) and the post exchange between the NH and SH.
                          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

because their interpretation of the rules are deeply modifying the spirit of the game
                            Keep playing until someone scores might be attractive to LCD TV audiences bit it is NOT rugby union.

What worries me more is that they have no right to apply 'interpretation' - it's either inside the relevant law or outside it - period.

I know Finbar thinks things not immediately affecting play should be ignored, and in some aspects he may have a point - but little things like flankers lurking miles offside well away from the ball do affect play - seconds later that flanker may reach a breakdown he should not have been anywhere near?

Discuss.
                            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                              What kind of fouls do you do during training?
                              Fouls like being offside, playing the ball when you shouldn't. That is usually because either you don't know the laws of the game, in which case, what are you doing there wearing a Bok jersey??
                              Well, even 'good' rugby players sometimes don't understand the rules They're trying to help the serial offenders (mostly forwards) stop regular infringment. They concede too many penalties.

To be fair to them, the rugby rule book is pretty complex.

In a match, you don't do fouls for the same reasons. First you do things like late tackles. I yet have to see that on a training ground. Same for punches, kick and that sort of things. The discipline to avoid that in a match won't be provided by refs on the training ground.
                              Can't argue with that. Some players will try to get away with anything for possession.

Other fouls in play can be tactical (let's stop that maul by falling - 3 points are less than 7)
                              Teams with that attitude deserve to lose. :

or because of the excitement of the game,
                              As I was saying to Havak, that's a real problem for the other teams. The Wallabies are too calm, though .....at least at home or NZ. Im hoping the Springbok can maintain their composure, they have the home advantage.

This is where rugby is cruel. Imagine a poor prop...
                              I get the scenario your presenting. Out in the middle its obvoiusly a real pressure cooker, especially for the example your using. You cant solely rely on talent without cool these days due to the sheer size of the modern arena - your training can only get you so far in your hypothetical situation.

Will refs during training prevent players who are tired or in a critical situation from making mistakes? Particularly refs of your own country? Ask Tamerlin why the boks might get some good from having NH refs during their training. But boks refereed by boks. What will they learn?
                              They did enlist SA refs - Tappe Henning and Freek Burger, but they're the best they have. I suppose they don't have enough time to call a NH one.

Originally posted by ravagon
                              It is in no way real money. Just for fun (although if finbar keeps doing as well as he did last week he may start trying to convince people otherwise
                              Ah - I understand. I was beginning to think finbar was running a real online gambling circuit Oh well, I suppose this can be fun too - if you want another punter I'll jump in.

Originally posted by Havak
                              Though we will also point out every flaw the ABs and England present – we are fair like that.
                              Don't bother if you want this new thread to last for a while. There's a 500 post limit

Shuddup NS, that's not funny

Sorry

BTW This is a while back, but how did you kiwis take the fiasco invloving NZ losing the rights to co host the WC? Was it unexpected? I was actually fairly disappointed, compared to some of the places they're holding the games here, give me a rugby mad NZ crowd anyday.
                              "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

Oh yes, the SH are truly bad because their interpretation of the rules are deeply modifying the spirit of the game. Their lenient perception of the rules are becoming such a habit the SH spectators don't understand why a referee whistles some very important fouls (at least in NH standards) from times to times.
                                I agree We are quite laid back here - that's a good thing.

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                                Of course, this leniency would not bother me if these misinterpretations of the rules were common only in games between SH teams. But when a NH team plays against a SH team with a SH referee, the NH players have to adapt to a different set of rules, which is not a good thing.
                                I can see what you're getting at but hey, it works the other way too. Isn't the International body trying to fix the situation?

but little things like flankers lurking miles offside well away from the ball do affect play - seconds later that flanker may reach a breakdown he should not have been anywhere near?
                                This has always been an issue. Even with the linesmen a ref will have problems confirming it, there are 30 odd blokes out there all over the place. Rugby can be such a fast game it gets very hard to police offside runners. When you say 'miles' however, its obvoiusly a problem that needs fixing...

Comment

Working...
                                X