This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed this yesterday.

I'm not sure if that's a tautology or redundancy.

Sometimes you just can’t hide the writer in yourself – I feel for the poor French lads.

I hope that supporting the "Stade Toulousain" which earned something like six French Championship titles in the last decade protects me from this filter. Do it ?
    There’s a cultural divide here Tamerlin. The guys know very little about Tigers and English clubs – there is simply no way they will fully appreciate the equally rich history of the mighty Stade Toulousain and French rugby. But you have my backing for what it is worth.

Fair enough, too. I agree entirely, and I plead guilty to carelessness
    Havak warms up the laser printer and buys a photo frame. You can’t beat selective editing?

Players are human, after all.
    Excellent point – but will Neostar buy it? After all those Wallabies keep calmer than any other team in the world – as the Boks will testify after Harrison and Paul started beating them seven ways from Sunday the other week.

No one - most of all the double act to which you refer - seriously believes the rolling maul would ever be removed from the game.
    Which may be exactly as you say of course, but unfortunately Eddie has added his voice to the silly non-contested set piece argument in the past – I will indeed research back on that for you Finbar. It made the papers here if I recall – there will be some trace somewhere

I feel the need for a random and totally off the current topic tribute to Jonno coming on…it’s impulsive you know.

The Boks are guaranteed to be niggling - and more - from the kick-off. It's the only way they know, after all.
    It’s so much a part of their game it will take a long time to coach out – even if the will to do so occurs at some point

I'd give the Boks 7 points start.
    Sounds fairly reasonable – any other punts?

Dr Havak, PhD in EU Suck.
    Hmm on second thoughts that might not look too impressive when framed and on the wall.

I’ve run out of time for now – will catch up with the thread later.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
      Sometimes you just can’t hide the writer in yourself – I feel for the poor French lads.
      Yeah, sorry, I usually reserve it for Americans - SuperSneak, in particular.

There’s a cultural divide here Tamerlin. The guys know very little about Tigers and English clubs – there is simply no way they will fully appreciate the equally rich history of the mighty Stade Toulousain and French rugby.
      Actually, I've been motivated to look into Tamerlin's team and preoccupation. And, before I forget, I remember watching a t'riffic doco on the history of rugby which included a great slab on French rugby. I watched that bit with great interest. If I recall, I made myself a cuppa, baked a cake and wrote out pi to the zillionth decimal place during the bit on English rugby.

Havak warms up the laser printer and buys a photo frame. You can’t beat selective editing?
      You're telling a writer about selective editing? Cop this next bit that you seem to have posted:

Excellent Wallabies keep calmer than any other team in the world
      Which may be exactly as you say of course, but unfortunately Eddie has added his voice to the silly non-contested set piece argument in the past – I will indeed research back on that for you Finbar. It made the papers here if I recall – there will be some trace somewhere
      I'm dying to know what is actually meant by "non-contested set piece". I can't imagine what it means.

Sounds fairly reasonable – any other punts?
      Note that it's 7 1/2 points, not 7, for the obvious reasons.

I’ve run out of time for now – will catch up with the thread later.
      Run out of time? You mean there's an alternative to this thread?
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I usually reserve it for Americans - SuperSneak, in particular.
        I suspect there is a background to that I am better off not knowing.

I made myself a cuppa, baked a cake and wrote out pi to the zillionth decimal place during the bit on English rugby.
        Well it would take a fair time I suppose

I think I saw it – I managed to take a sip of my coffee (just had time to raise the mug to my lips in fact) during the section on Aussie rugby achievements before the 1990s. I had time to decorate my entire house during the equivalent section for the Kiwis.

Cop this next bit that you seem to have posted:

Absolute classic – I love it.

I'm dying to know what is actually meant by "non-contested set piece". I can't imagine what it means.
        I can help you I think – watch that terrible sport RL and the farce they refer to as scrums. In Union you can see hints of it when teams do not contest the lineout.

Now I found an article from last May time from the Sunday Times that I simply cannot use as the writer is a bit fulsome in his praise of all things NH and even, very very rarely, of the English national side. But he did comment in detail on Eddie Jones attempts to block two law revisions last year before he knew for sure he would replace McQueen – in other words whilst he was planning with ACT in mind.

These laws concerned changes being made specifically after reviewing the previous S12 season and involved more strictly defined restrictions on ‘non ball carriers’ running between tackler and ball carrier (the classic ACT tactic?) and also amendments to the ruck laws designed to stop S12 players going off their feet all the time (sorry but SH guilty as charged here – comparatively very bad at staying on your feet even now).

Apparently the IRB told Eddie to sling his hook and he then, naturally, issued a press statement in Aus claiming he had won. Gotta love that cunning little hooker?
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Not much time today and for the week end to come, I won't be able to read any post until Monday.

I bet 15 gold on the Boks (a last chance to earn some civ cash) though a 7 1/2 points margin seems a bit high if we consider their latest performances and the fact the AB really need a victory and will try to earn bonus points.

Once again, thanks for your support Havak, we keep the flame.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

La flamme de la liberté nordique contre le heresy du sud?

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
              How "familiar" should players be with refs and vice versa? I've noticed that some refs tend to call the players by their christian name on the field. I've even heard some players call the ref by his christian name on the field. At what point, I wonder, does this sort of familiarity impact on the policing of the game? Does it encourage players to push the rules even more than usual? I'm not talking about communication between ref and players - the ref giving quick explanations on the run - because that can only be good for the game. Anyone have any thoughts on "familiarity" on the field?
              In the case of the springboks getting to know Tapa Henning etc, I dont think it matters because those refs will never be reffing the boks in an international match anyway. It could be a problem in provincial competitions though. As a general rule I dont think its a good idea for refs to get too comfortable with players. They are only human, and it has to affect their judgement in some way.

BTW, Cal, this thought has prompted an idea for the next thread title - Rugby - Who? Me, Sir?.
              I like it!

What about a slight alteration - Rugby - Who, ME ref?? Either one is good though.

I'd give the Boks 7 points start.
              Sounds good to me. 7 1/2 just so everyone cant win their money back?

I bet 20 gold on the All Blacks.
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

La flamme de la liberté nordique contre le heresy du sud?

French is a very complicated and strange language indeed, but you have caught the spirit Havak.

La flamme de la liberté nordique contre l'hérésie du sud.

"Nordic" is more appropriate for our Swedish or Norvegian collegues but as they are not well known for their Rugby teams I guess we can keep this word without any risk of confusion.
                "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I'll bet 10 civ gold on the Boks (actually on the ABs winning by 7 or less). I must confess I will be much more comfortabke betting on NH teams, when the season comes. Still at least one month before I get to touch the ball again!
                  I suggest we start a thread solely dedicated to finding the name of the next rugby thread. Rugby- What do you mean "offside", sir? could do it.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I dont think we need a whole thread for that, just tell me your suggestions.

Comment

Well, to avoid problems with "ravagons sh*thouse time management skills" again I'm going early this time.
                      20 on the AB's please.

Rugby- What do you mean "offside", sir?

Comment

I think I saw it – I managed to take a sip of my coffee (just had time to raise the mug to my lips in fact) during the section on Aussie rugby achievements before the 1990s.
                        Yeah, I blinked and missed it too.

I had time to decorate my entire house during the equivalent section for the Kiwis.
                        So that's when the red, white and green carpet was laid?

These laws concerned changes being made specifically after reviewing the previous S12 season and involved more strictly defined restrictions on ‘non ball carriers’ running between tackler and ball carrier (the classic ACT tactic?) and also amendments to the ruck laws designed to stop S12 players going off their feet all the time (sorry but SH guilty as charged here – comparatively very bad at staying on your feet even now).
                        You're beating around the bush, Havak. I've asked for details of the argument for uncontested set-pieces, you're giving me talk about decoy runners and staying on your feet in a ruck. Even I can't extrapolate that far.

Apparently the IRB told Eddie to sling his hook and he then, naturally, issued a press statement in Aus claiming he had won. Gotta love that cunning little hooker?
                        Cunning little hooker? This time, I think you've lined up a double tautology.
                        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I actually get to watch the game live at a decent time this weekend. 9am saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                            I'll bet 10 civ gold on the Boks (actually on the ABs winning by 7 or less). I must confess I will be much more comfortabke betting on NH teams, when the season comes. Still at least one month before I get to touch the ball again!
                            Yes, L DiCesare, but imagine how hard it's going to be for us SH-ites (there you go, NH-ites, there's a free kick for you if ever there was one! ) betting on NH matches.

I suggest we start a thread solely dedicated to finding the name of the next rugby thread.
                            Frankly, I think it's time Caligastia exercised his Moderator's clout and pressured Markos and Dan for a FORUM dedicated to rugby!

Rugby- What do you mean "offside", sir?

I have to say, lads, as a practitioner, I think we have some truly terrific, original wit flying around in these threads of ours! I think I might start collecting some of it.

Edit. All bets thus far have been recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                              I actually get to watch the game live at a decent time this weekend. 9am saturday!
                              Enjoy the beer and chips!

Actually, the Wallabies -v- Boks match the weekend after has been brought forward a couple of hours for some reason. It now starts at 11pm our time, which is a blessing. Which is 9am, again, for you.

Comment

Actually, the Wallabies -v- Boks match the weekend after has been brought forward a couple of hours for some reason. It now starts at 11pm our time, which is a blessing. Which is 9am, again, for you.
                                Are you sure about this? I just looked at one of those online guide thingummies and found a 10:45 pm start time (set to WA time I hasten to add).
                                Hence it should be 12:45 am Sunday in Sydney?

Comment

Working...
                                X