No announcement yet.

Help Cloud9 make a decision about what kind of computer to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My super hot laptop. Seriously, it's so hot Dell facing a class action suit because of it.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cloud9
      Apple has met it's estimates for most of the quarters in the last 5 years. And can you show me a comparison between Apple and it's biggest competitors on this?
      Well, look at this week's newspaper. MS beat estimates. Dell has also beat the "slump" in the PC market.

You said "keeping up with the competitors", which implies the present. When its main competitors, Dell and MS, clearly are doing better, how is Apple keeping up?

I don't care about the 1999-2000 era where every tech company beat expectations.

Do you have any proof to back this up?
      You have a short memory, don't you?
      Scroll up in the thread, I cited the Time Magazine article (where they actually talk to Steve Jobs). You'll probably claim it's bull, but considering the number came from Apple in the interview I don't think your argument will go very far.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• As usual In an Intel vs Amd thread I have to agree one hundred percent with Asher. Also in keeping with this thread mac's have a way to go to catch up.
        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
        Or do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
          I don't care about the 1999-2000 era where every tech company beat expectations.
          Well I care.

Scroll up in the thread, I cited the Time Magazine article (where they actually talk to Steve Jobs). You'll probably claim it's bull, but considering the number came from Apple in the interview I don't think your argument will go very far.
          Will do.
          HAVE A DAY.
          <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
          "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
          For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

• Originally posted by blackice
            As usual In an Intel vs Amd thread I have to agree one hundred percent with Asher. Also in keeping with this thread mac's have a way to go to catch up.
            It scares me when we agree.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• On computers we are not that far apart

now when you get some street experience we will talk programs
              “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
              Or do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                Maybe, but look what Apple's "competitor" Microsoft said about the company:

So, in the place of the technology agreement, what do you take away? What do you hang your hat on if you're a Mac customer and you're worried about Microsoft? One, Microsoft is going to try and do the right thing for both customers and the P&L. We're going to try and run a great business. We'll continue this business as long as the business case makes sense to do it. It's pure and simple, we've got to make a profit. We're a profitable company today. It's been kind of a difficult period in the PC market. The last 18 months has been the worst PC market probably in the history of the PC, and yet we've continued to make a good business out of this, as has Apple, Apple has maintained profitability through most of this dark period. We see growth ahead, and we believe that the business case will make sense over the long-term.
                Sounds like Microsoft just loves Apple's Macintosh, and won't let it go anywhere. This is confirmed here:

HAVE A DAY.
                "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

• Cloud9: Of course MS loves Apple's Macintosh. Hell, MS has developed a .NET runtime for Unix as well!

MS is slowly moving into the services market, so the more computers that will run its software the better.

It also helps keep the antitrust people off their back if they "show mercy".

The people who use MacOS already decided not to buy Windows, so MS only has money to gain by developing for MacOS as well. Same with UNIX.

Comment

• End of story.
                    HAVE A DAY.

Comment

• Didn't MS save Apple from extinction a few years ago, as it didn't want its only obvious competitor to die and then give real credibility to notions it had an unfair monopoly?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Yep. It bought something like 20% of Apple, IIRC. It did the same thing with Corel (WordPerfect makers) a while back.

It's the same reason Intel keeps AMD waiting around. If they wanted to, they could absolutely kill AMD, but they keep them around so they can point to the FTC and proclaim "See? We have competition!".

They keep AMD at bay so they stay around the same size with respect to Intel. Pretty clever.

Comment

• Ok, I'm going to send you that link now. Though their are broken links on the thread, I'm sure Abby Normal will either fix them or resubmit them for you; there is still a lot of information on the thread. I'm going to PM this link to you guys. Here goes. . .
                          HAVE A DAY.

Comment

• I'm not going to read it, Cloud9, I've got better and more interesting things/people to do.

Comment

• It's probably just a Jack Chick tract about the evils of PCs, anyway...
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• No it is very good reading. I personally like macs. After all that is what I learned on. I would'nt buy a mac for home use is all. Not right now anyway I still have an amiga I plug away at
                                Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                                X