No announcement yet.

Physics Report: Second Law Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By defining entropy as a tendency towards disorder. That's what I said.

Comment

Entropy is not a tendency. It does however have a tendency.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

well, it's a measurement for said tendency

Comment

As someone already said, it is only a law on a statistical level.

If you imagine a system of particles in a box, all lined up in nice orderly lines, and think of all the ways they can move around, the majority of the possibilities are more disordered than that the initial condition. The statement that entropy always increases is therfore just saying that the number of disordered states available to a system is substanially more than the number of ordered ones. So statistically disorder will increase.

However, it is entirely possible that a box full of randomly orientated particles would rearrange themselves to spell out "Fuc k the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics". Just not very likely....

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
            Lung basically said the same as I did. You just don't want to admit there's something I know, KH.
            You're both wrong.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you imagine a system of particles in a box, all lined up in nice orderly lines, and think of all the ways they can move around, the majority of the possibilities are more disordered than that the initial condition

Exactly. It's all a matter of the number of possible microstates increasing over time....
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's what my chemistry (shut up ) teacher told me.

You, being some elitist geeky physicist probably know an even more divine and quantum-based definition. Why don't you just say "yes, my kids, your school knowledge is *nihihi* alright, now go and eat these chocolates". that'd be mature and adult.

but instead you tease us and in the end say something like "you wouldn't understand it anyway"

so what is it, smartarse?

Comment

And Ecthelion, the reason I'm being such an ass about using the term "order" is that it sometimes gives wrong answers. Stick to the mathematical definitions and you won't go wrong.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't know the mathematical definition. So it's Rogan Josh style smartarsery. Blah blah statistics blah blah more likely to happen blah blah ... btw,m eh also used the term order, and he was pretty close to a max exact as possible for human beings answer...

so how would you define it?

Comment

That's what my chemistry (shut up ) teacher told me.

You, being some elitist geeky physicist probably know an even more divine and quantum-based definition. Why don't you just say "yes, my kids, your school knowledge is *nihihi* alright, now go and eat these chocolates". that'd be mature and adult.

but instead you tease us and in the end say something like "you wouldn't understand it anyway"

so what is it, smartarse?
                      This is important, Ecthelion. Everybody always gets introduced to entropy by being told that it's a measure of disorder. This leads to creationist nuts claiming that evolution violates the second law, when in actuality it does no such thing. You can define entropy in terms of information, but you have to be very careful when you do it; it's not at all obvious, for instance, that a human being is more ordered than an equivalent mass of algae...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Bah, you were a lot asier to deal with when you still had that kitten avatar. No matter what a pr!ck you were being, it was always nice and cute. Now you're just an arrogant frog. Can't help it

Comment

You can either define entropy as a process-related differential (dS=dQ/T) or statistically (S=k*lnP). There are in addition some other, equivalent, definitions.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So it's Rogan Josh style smartarsery.
                            Excuse me?

What did I say that was remotely 'smartarsery'? I was trying to be helpful, and explain something in a way which was reasonably easy to understand.

I see you don't appreciate that.

Comment

lol, don't worry... you're fine

and yes, it was correct and understandale at a time, better than KH's "wrong", "still wrong", "not exact" behaviour... I just found it annoying how I could do whatever I would without being recognised as halfway knowing by him..

and KH, now that you gave that definition I realise I'm not knowing at all

S = (dH-dG)/T

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger

Do you know what I just found? A Java applet that lets you play at being Maxwell's demon!

http://cougar.slvhs.slv.k12.ca.us/~p...s/maxwell.html
                                Sunday afternoons are so boring. I got all but one across. That last one was a real bugger.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X