Physics Report: Second Law Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Provost, how's it goin'?

You know, a while ago I thought your way of expressing your atheism a bit harsh, but after listening to the crackpots for long enough, I've come to the conclusion that your approach probably is the best. I want to distance myself from these utter imbecils as much as I can...
    "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
    - Lone Star

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud9

Silly evolutionists!

You sir give creationism a bad name

Physics has little or nothing to do with anything religous.

Comment

The best thing about Creationists is, is that they only try to discredit the oposing theories without present arguments for their own.

Average creationist logic: Evolution is wrong because of this, that and the other. Thus: Creationism is true.

I'm sure even Cloud can see the error in that reasoning.
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          Well the creationists claim evolution is impossible because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics...
          Oh sure, I've heard that load of drivel before. What confuses me here is that the original article posted is about how the 2nd law might be flawed. If ignorant creationists rely on the 2nd law in order to "disprove" evolution, then I can't see how disproving the 2nd law disproves evolution. If anything, all that this does is reduce the amount of "evidence" in favor of creationism. Most creationism arguments rely on ignorance, but Cloud9's relies on blatant contradiction.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko
            Hey Provost, how's it goin'?

You know, a while ago I thought your way of expressing your atheism a bit harsh, but after listening to the crackpots for long enough, I've come to the conclusion that your approach probably is the best. I want to distance myself from these utter imbecils as much as I can...
            People can be right, yet their justification wrong.

People can be wrong but their justification appear valid.

The problem for many "correct" people is that they are tarnished with the same brush as the crackpots. Take each idea on its own, and not based on the person who presents it.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
              You sir give creationism a bad name

Physics has little or nothing to do with anything religous.
              Well, sir, the "laws" of physics have been used to discredit creationism, and it's an insult to creationists.
              HAVE A DAY.
              <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
              "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
              For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

You are insulted when the natural laws of the universe contradict your baseless beliefs?

I am insulted by physicists when flapping my arms really fast does not produce lift. I've seen it in cartoons! I wanna fly!
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                  I am insulted by physicists when flapping my arms really fast does not produce lift. I've seen it in cartoons! I wanna fly!
                  One word: Looney.
                  HAVE A DAY.
                  <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
                  "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                  For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Time for your ritalin cloud9

I am still dubious of this experiment though nonetheless. Of course I do not know the details, but could it be possible that work is being done on this system from outside?

Yeah, the 2nd law is generally well adhered to, but there is always something else weird. It doesn't mean much, just more information about the world around us, and certainly does not point to creationism being correct.
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

please, what is the "2nd law" and how does it concern the world we live in?

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud9

Just another fallacy that proves evolution is Science Fiction!

?

The researchers discovered that in such a tiny system, entropy can sometimes decrease rather than increase

We already knew this. Entropy only is defined for statistically significant numbers of particles. Entropy can go down; wait long enough and you'll see a bucket of water freeze on a warm day.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You should know what the 2nd law of thermodynamics is Andy.
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I don't know it out of my head, I'm sorry.

And then, I fail to see the connection between thermodynamics and things beyond the world we live in.

Comment

The entropy of a closed system increases over time. Alternatively, every refrigerator dumps more heat out than it sucks in.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

the entropy increases over time... also without energy provided? or is that the whole point of it?

and now enlighten me about the news about that law. what does that mean, it has been broken?

Comment

Working...
                                X