No announcement yet.

Physics Report: Second Law Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know what I just found? A Java applet that lets you play at being Maxwell's demon!

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
      the entropy increases over time... also without energy provided? or is that the whole point of it?
      ?

Entropy is a different concept than energy. The energy of a closed system must remain constant by definition.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
        You sir give creationism a bad name

Physics has little or nothing to do with anything religous.
        Oh, Faded Glory, you are wise to distance yourself from those who attack what is testable in defence of something which is not. The domain for religion is purely within the ambiguous realm of spirituality, not the realm of the physical universe.

I haven't seen you post drunk, lately, FG. This could explain your apparent logic of late

Comment

yes, but usually something has to happen to change entropy. but true, it's unrelated to energy.

now, what's the point of this thread, I still don't quite get it... all that talk about creationists etc, where's the connection to entropy?

and before you ask, yes I know what entropy is

Comment

the entropy increases over time... also without energy provided? or is that the whole point of it?

and now enlighten me about the news about that law. what does that mean, it has been broken?
            Entropy can only be defined statistically. Look at a small enough system for a short enough period of time and its entropy can decrease over the alotted interval.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

yes, but usually something has to happen to change entropy. but true, it's unrelated to energy.

now, what's the point of this thread, I still don't quite get it... all that talk about creationists etc, where's the connection to entropy?

and before you ask, yes I know what entropy is
              Really? What is it?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've never put it in English before though.

It's the state of chaos, so to speak. Does that suffice?

Comment

Maybe a bit more: I know that substances tend to increase in entropy, so that in chemical reactions the outcome of gases is more likely than that of liquids or solids, so that under certain circumstances (entropy difference of the reaciton in combination with temperature, energy/enthalpy difference of the reaciotn), a reaction is more or less likely to happen with the relevant changed in solid/liquid/gaseous state (gibbs thing)

that's just one, pretty trivial application

Comment

now stop testing me about this nonsense, better tell me how that is related to creationism

...until tomorrow that is

Comment

You shouldn't believe everything you read. "Order" and "chaos" are fuzzy terms. Better to restrict yourself to mathematical definitions...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Entropy is a natural tendency towards disorder. To reverse the effect of entropy, external energy is required. Therefore, in a closed system, making something more orderly requires other things to become more disordered, only more so.

Evolution relates to this as creationists argue that evolution defies entropy, conveniently ignoring the fact that the energy from the sun enables the earth to become more ordered. As Earth has an external source, it doesn't violate this law.

The experiments are very interesting, but only time will tell if it has in fact broken the law.

Comment

The law isn't broken if the system they're looking at is too small to apply stat mech to.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've only now just read the article, and it's very interesting. It reminded me of something i read about, that at the quantum level, particles can be considered to be "non-local". Enourmous masses of particles, like, say, humans, collectively are local. One cannot be in two places at once! At the quantum level, however, particles effectively can be.

Is there a connection here? There certainly seems to be a different set of rules at the micro level than at the macro level.

Comment

Lung basically said the same as I did. You just don't want to admit there's something I know, KH.

Comment

Wait......i'm agreeing with you? How?

Comment

Working...
                                X