Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New twist to pledge case. Little girl wanted to say 'under God'. Dad used her.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New twist to pledge case. Little girl wanted to say 'under God'. Dad used her.

LAW OF THE LAND
    Pledge case
    to be reheard
    Girl's Christianity potential factor
    in arguments before entire court

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: July 9, 2002
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Diana Lynne
    © 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

The judge who rendered the controversial opinion for the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals – that "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional – will not have the last word.

A Justice Department official who does not wish to be named tells WorldNetDaily the U.S. solicitor general has decided to authorize a rehearing before the full court, essentially giving the government a green light to appeal the three-judge decision before it had even filed a request to do so.

Justice spokesman Charles Miller said he could not confirm the information but added, "Attorney General John Ashcroft stated the Justice Department would request a rehearing en banc by the full Ninth Circuit. He's the boss of the solicitor general. So I'm assuming the solicitor general will approve of it."

The government has until early August to file the request. In the meantime, WorldNetDaily has learned the recent revelation that the daughter of the plaintiff is a churchgoing Christian who voluntarily says 'under God' in the pledge may potentially help the government's case.

As WorldNetDaily reported last week, Sacramento atheist activist Michael Newdow mounted the now-infamous legal challenge against Congress for inserting the phrase "under God" in the pledge in 1954, and against the Elk Grove Unified School District for its policy to have teachers lead students in reciting the pledge in class.

Newdow filed the case on behalf of his 8-year-old, whom he told the Associated Press he is raising as an atheist.

"It's my parental right to keep the government off my child," AP quoted Newdow as saying.

In the suit, Newdow claims that his daughter is injured when she is compelled to "watch and listen as her state-employed teacher in her state-run school leads her classmates in a ritual proclaiming that there is a God, and that our's [sic] is 'one nation under God.'"

But Pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, Calif. contends Newdow's argument is fraudulent. According to Smith, the second-grader and her mother, Sandra Banning, not only attend Calvary Chapel at Laguna Creek in their home town of Elk Grove, Calif., but Banning teaches Sunday School there.

"The little girl, as I understand, was never offended by 'under God' because she does believe in God," Smith told WorldNetDaily. "I understand when the decision came down, the little girl came home and said to her mother, 'Well momma, I guess we can't say under God anymore,' and then she decided she could say it under her breath and no one would know the difference,'" said Smith.

Court records show Newdow and Banning embroiled in a custody battle over the daughter. Calls to both were not returned. A call to Banning's attorney was not immediately returned.

"I believe people need to know the truth," said Smith. "I think we need to know the agenda of the liberal court, that they would make a decision predicated on the little girl being offended when, in fact, she never was. ... They made a decision without delving into the truth of the story. It would appear to me they don't want the truth of the story, but rather they want a hypothetical case upon which to make the decision."

According to the Justice official, Newdow had to show standing in the case by showing that he's been injured. He did so by asserting his daughter has been injured and he has an interest in directing her education as a parent. Judge Alfred Goodwin wrote in the majority opinion, "Newdow has standing as a parent to challenge a practice that interferes with his right to direct the religious education of his daughter."

Could the case be considered a fraud, as Pastor Smith suggests? According to the Justice official, it would be fraud only if Newdow said something knowingly false.

Fox News reports Newdow admitted that his 8-year-old daughter voluntarily says the pledge along with her classmates in an interview following the ruling.

"This is more about me than her. I'd like to keep her out of this," Fox quoted Newdow as saying.

But Smith and other pastors throughout California are determined to keep the girl's reported love for God front and center by mounting a publicity campaign to win the case in the court of public opinion.

"The daughter has said she disagrees totally with what the father is doing," Pastor Wiley Drake of First Southern Baptist Church of Buena Park told WorldNetDaily. "I'm upset and I hope there will be others who are upset. It's time for God lovers to stand up and fight the God haters."

As WND reported, Drake led a hundred demonstrators in a four-hour rally outside of Judge Goodwin's Pasadena house last week to protest the court ruling. Drake plans a similar event outside Judge Stephen Reinhardt's Marina Del Rey, Calif. home on Saturday. Reinhardt joined Goodwin in the 2-1 decision.

"Reinhardt is a renegrade judge and his wife is Ramona Ripston, the executive director of the ACLU in Southern Calif.," said Drake. "The ACLU has always tried to get rid of God."

David Madden, public information officer of the 9th Circuit told WND the judges would have no comment.
    ---------------------------------------

I wish that these fanatical atheists (No, that does not mean that every atheist is a fanatic.) would stop trying to cram their religion down people's throats. This jerk is obviously trying to use his daughter to further his own agenda. Just a quick question:

Why do some atheists have such a vehement hatred for a God that they claim does not exist? Do they also hate Tinkerbell, Snow White and the seven drawfs? What a horrible thing it must be to actually have to hear something that you don't agree with. Should we also force people to turn their radios down so that people do not have to hear anything they do not agree with? Why don't these people just start burning books that they do not agree with so that no one has to have their eyes offended?

Bah. Couldn't you just do things like a sane, not totalitarian-patriotic country would do and forget the whole pledge ?
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

"The little girl, as I understand, was never offended by 'under God' because she does believe in God," Smith told WorldNetDaily. "I understand when the decision came down, the little girl came home and said to her mother, 'Well momma, I guess we can't say under God anymore,' and then she decided she could say it under her breath and no one would know the difference,'" said Smith.

THANK YOU AMERICA FOR THE DAILY ENTERTAINMENT THAT YOU GIVE TO US

so lincoln, please explain me: why hasnt the religious god-loving mother spoke until now?
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I think that the whole pledge = brainwashing...
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

LightEning: Yeah! Like in Finland! Oh, wait a minute...

SINIRISTILIPPUMME! *dam da dammmmm!* SULLE VALAN VANNOMME KALLEHIN! SUN PUOLESTAS ELÄÄ JA KUOLLA! ON HALUMME KORKEHIN!

(At least we only had to sing that on festive occassions...)
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

In fact, I think that Finnish schools should start every day with singing of Jager March. Now there's a tune for every girl and boy.

Deep is our strike, hatred invincible, we don't have mercy, home country...

Our happiness is in the point of our sword, our front can not give in!

Tavastia, Karelia, coasts of Viena, great is the might of Finland...
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Stefu, did I ever claim that Finland is a sane, not totalitarian-patriotic country ?
              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

But what country is, brother?

Comment

"so lincoln, please explain me: why hasnt the religious god-loving mother spoke until now?"

Maybe she isn't interested in using her daughter. It seems like this will turn into a battle beyween the religious zealots and the atheist zealots with the girl caught in the middle. I personally think that this whole thing will turn into another Elien Gonzales type farce.

Comment

4/10, 3 points for the vitriolic bollocks of your after comment, 1 point for that mosquito bite of an article.

I wish that these fanatical atheists (No, that does not mean that every atheist is a fanatic.) would stop trying to cram their religion down people's throats ....Why do some atheists have such a vehement hatred for a God that they claim does not exist?
                    For the final time, Atheists don't believe in God, they don't hate God, since they're nothing to hate. Atheists deny God's existence, because they believe he doesn't exist, not due to some exo-freudian repression instinct.

I concede that many Atheists despise organised religion enough to want to dash it out, but even then thats an anger towards Religion and not to some God.

The situation in many American schools is that there is peer and teacher pressure to believe in Christianity from an early age. What campaigners are trying to do is remove pressure from the equation, so that a child may eventually discover what Religion/Non religious system is correct for them ---to make the School system essentially agnostic, not atheistic.

You certainly cannot say that it is completely fair to only bring up Theism in public schools, since there is little clear evidence for it. But also you cannot say that Atheism is completely true.

So why this duality? The removal of Christian practices, but not adding Atheistic teachings, is an agnostic system. Besides it devolves authority to Parents, which I think matters more in this instance.

PS at 8 years old, every child loves God, big ****ing deal.

Edit: Damn, must of got rid of the swearing trick, weasel-eaters!
                    Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

hold it. she is a religious person, and a very active one
                      her husband is an atheist activist who wants to raise their daughter as an atheist.

still, the little girls goes to church every sunday without the objection of the father, who uses his daughter in a lawsuit without the objection of the mother?!?!?

i have this to say: AND FISH FLY
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Knevil
                        4/10, 3 points for the vitriolic bollocks of your after comment, 1 point for that mosquito bite of an article.

For the final time, Atheists don't believe in God, they don't hate God, since they're nothing to hate. Atheists deny God's existence, because they believe he doesn't exist, not due to some exo-freudian repression instinct.

I concede that many Atheists despise organised religion enough to want to dash it out, but even then thats an anger towards Religion and not to some God.

The situation in many American schools is that there is peer and teacher pressure to believe in Christianity from an early age. What campaigners are trying to do is remove pressure from the equation, so that a child may eventually discover what Religion/Non religious system is correct for them ---to make the School system essentially agnostic, not atheistic.

You certainly cannot say that it is completely fair to only bring up Theism in public schools, since there is little clear evidence for it. But also you cannot say that Atheism is completely true.

So why this duality? The removal of Christian practices, but not adding Atheistic teachings, is an agnostic system. Besides it devolves authority to Parents, which I think matters more in this instance.

PS at 8 years old, every child loves God, big ****ing deal.

Edit: Damn, must of got rid of the swearing trick, weasel-eaters!
                        Thanks, but you didn't answer the question. Why are they so offended by a supposed ficticious being? And why are they so afraid of their own beliefs that they must censor the word 'God' from their ears?

Comment

This is funny.

How convenient is this? And why is it that the only place talking about it is WorldNetDaily, your FREE DAILY CHRISTIAN NEWS service?
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The little girl is a minor. Thus, her opinions and religious beliefs (or lack thereof) are irrelevant. If the father doesn't want his child saying "under God" in school that is his right.

Comment

Why are they so offended by a supposed ficticious being?

<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Working...
                              X