SAT no longer standardized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Victor Galis
    -Yes, I just don't like turning an 8 mile walk started at 4:30pm into an 8 mile hike, because there is no way I would make it home before dark most days then. And on the days when I could make it home before dark, it would be too hot to walk. If I made it home at 8:30pm, my life would have sucked royally. In high school I went to bed at 10:30-11:00 at the latest.
    If you can't handel that, don't you have friends?

Originally posted by Victor Galis
    -Most tournaments clashed with scholar's bowl and math tournaments. Besides, at my school we reffered to LD as Loser Debate.
    Wow. I guess that is coming from the math team people? LD has hotter girls. Debate also looks better than SB and Math on applications.

-Maybe, but the way I have been taught debate was way too card intensive for my tastes. Maybe it's because the people who taught me sucked, but that's not exactly my fault, now is it?
    Didn't you read what my practices were like? You don't need to be taught. I wasn't taught. I hate so called intellectual people like you who need to have their hand held at every turn. Do things yourself everyonce in awhile. I'm not saying you should be independent at the level I am (I taught myself how to tie my shoes, and it is in a totally different way than what everyone else does), but you need to do some things on your own.

-Shows you how much West Point knows The problem with calculus is not that people can't understand it, it's that most schools do a **** job of teaching all the stuff that leads up to it.
    West Point knows what they are doing.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Not at all. It doesn't take extra resources to get teachers to accelerate high school math.
      -You overestimate teachers. Some schools don't have the teachers to propperly teach these subjects at this pace, let alone faster. I'm not saying people can't keep up if the classes are accelerated, I'm saying that the teachers can't propperly teach them that fast with everyone understanding.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo
        Again, that isn't necessarily true with major government pressure.
        I'm sorry, but the government would never pressure the SAT to include calculus, at least not for a long time. You have to be reasonable.

Originally posted by Ramo
        Why?
        You just admitted my entire point. Changing the SAT would create a pressure for change in schools.
        I admitted that in crazy world (the only place were you're scenario would take place) something might happen. Calculus would not be added nor does it need to be.

Besides with honors and AP classes, how?
        Add points to GPA.
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

-Yes, I have bad social skills because I chose not to disturb class
          You were one of those people? Either you had very little homework or you are a total loser. I don't want to flame here. I must say though, that the top people in my class screw around all the time.

Comment

Not at all. It doesn't take extra resources to get teachers to accelerate high school math.
            Actually it does. Many teachers who are already teaching Calculus are crazy or don't really know what the hell they are talking about.

Comment

• If you can't handel that, don't you have friends?
              -I had 2 friends who lived remotely in the right direction (everyone else seems to live on the opposite side of the school). One didn't drive a car, and I couldn't regularly depend on the other. I did manage to play some Ultimate Frisbee after school in the last year depending on the not so able to help me out friend, but I coulnd't have done anything that required a steady commitment.

Wow. I guess that is coming from the math team people? LD has hotter girls. Debate also looks better than SB and Math on applications.
              -That may be true, but it's not as fun. And our school doesn't do crap to support academic activities. We have a good math team because we have good math teachers who care. We have a good SB team, because we have the raw brainpower, but we don't have any teacher even close to being able to lend the sort of support required for debate.

Didn't you read what my practices were like? You don't need to be taught.
              -It makes quite a difference. Sure, I can argue, but to debate you need some sort of training.

I wasn't taught. I hate so called intellectual people like you who need to have their hand held at every turn.
              -, you clearly don't know me.

Do things yourself everyonce in awhile. I'm not saying you should be independent at the level I am (I taught myself how to tie my shoes, and it is in a totally different way than what everyone else does), but you need to do some things on your own.
              -Go off to Europe on your own for a couple weeks, then tell me about how to be independent. Otherwise, don't presume to tell me how to be independent. Independence is part of the reason I have crap for leadership skills.

West Point knows what they are doing.
              -I have serious doubts about that.
              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
              -Joan Robinson

Comment

• You were one of those people? Either you had very little homework or you are a total loser. I don't want to flame here. I must say though, that the top people in my class screw around all the time.
                -I had the ability to finish my homework very quickly compared to other people (I had long mastered the art of doing a half-assed job). I have no respect for people who can not sit quietly when the teacher is lecturing, but frankly a lot of my early teachers were really boring, so I had to stay awake somehow.
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

-That may be true, but it's not as fun. And our school doesn't do crap to support academic activities. We have a good math team because we have good math teachers who care. We have a good SB team, because we have the raw brainpower, but we don't have any teacher even close to being able to lend the sort of support required for debate.
                  Here you go again. You don't need support for debate. You need to get that idea out of your head that people need to tell you exactly what to do before you are able to do it. My preparation for debate consisted of watching a couple rounds. That was it.

-It makes quite a difference. Sure, I can argue, but to debate you need some sort of training.
                  I sorry, but you don't. You may think you do, but you are just messing yourself. LD is quite simple, especially with your apparent raw intellectual power.

-, you clearly don't know me.
                  Yes I do. You believing you need training for debate proves this.

-Go off to Europe on your own for a couple weeks, then tell me about how to be independent. Otherwise, don't presume to tell me how to be independent. Independence is part of the reason I have crap for leadership skills.
                  Bah. I'd go to Europe if I was rich like you. I've been on vacations alone before, without any relatives helping me and without my parents even knowing about it.

-I have serious doubts about that.
                  You're just living in a dream world where math means more than it really does.

Comment

-I had the ability to finish my homework very quickly compared to other people (I had long mastered the art of doing a half-assed job). I have no respect for people who can not sit quietly when the teacher is lecturing, but frankly a lot of my early teachers were really boring, so I had to stay awake somehow.
                    We all know how to BS. What is this about staying awake too? If you aren't going to talk, you should sleep. Once again, you don't need a teacher for you to know what to do.

Comment

• I'm sorry, but the government would never pressure the SAT to include calculus, at least not for a long time. You have to be reasonable.
                      The government would never do most of what I advocate. What's your point?

Add points to GPA.
                      Explain...
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

• Actually it does. Many teachers who are already teaching Calculus are crazy or don't really know what the hell they are talking about.
                        Yep. A major reason for this is the sorry state of our education system. More funding for education would help, but not completely. Teacher wages aren't the only reasons for the lack of competent education.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

• Here you go again. You don't need support for debate.
                          - Where exactly do you debate? I have seen the difference between good debaters and crap debaters. I have a friend who is a really good debater, but then again his school debate team has a huge budget to go to all sort of nice tournaments. Mine didn't.

You need to get that idea out of your head that people need to tell you exactly what to do before you are able to do it. My preparation for debate consisted of watching a couple rounds. That was it.
                          -Somehow I am seriously beginning to doubt you are any good at debate. You would probably be torn to shreds by some of the teams in my area.

I sorry, but you don't. You may think you do, but you are just messing yourself. LD is quite simple, especially with your apparent raw intellectual power.
                          -But LD is irrelevant, because I was a policy debater.

You believing you need training for debate proves this.
                          -There are many aspects of debate theory you do not get without training. Hell there's a lot of things you don't get if you've never been taught anything about debate. Sure, you can go out there and debate, but when push comes to shove...

Bah. I'd go to Europe if I was rich like you. I've been on vacations alone before, without any relatives helping me and without my parents even knowing about it.
                          -Rich. Ah, you clearly underestimate my ability to travel cheaply.

You're just living in a dream world where math means more than it really does.
                          -Everything is important in shaping the way we think. Foreign languages, math, science, social studies, but we're only debating about math. Now, I could make many similar comments about you, but I will refrain from it.
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

• What is this about staying awake too? If you aren't going to talk, you should sleep.
                            -Sleep? And waste time?

Once again, you don't need a teacher for you to know what to do.
                            -That was my point, wasn't it?

-Join the club.
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

I'm debating real life here.

Explain...
                              You took hard courses. You get a 5.6 instead of a 3.6.

Yep. A major reason for this is the sorry state of our education system. More funding for education would help, but not completely. Teacher wages aren't the only reasons for the lack of competent education.
                              I'm just saying how changing the SAT won't change much because of this.

Comment

• I'm debating real life here.
                                -And yet you claim to be a debater

You took hard courses. You get a 5.6 instead of a 3.6.
                                -I wish my school did that... we only got 1 extra point for AP classes, so I ended up with a 4.3. 4.5 was theoretical max, but that was too much work to be worth it.
                                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X