Korea vs. Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    Hey, they changed those words, ya know...
    Actually, no. It was created as a folk song with 3 verses. "Deutschland Deutschland über alles" are the first words of the first verse. With "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" begins the third.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
      Ja, ja, zat is vot ve tell ze foreigners

But,
      Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
      Für das deutsche Vaterland...

and so on is really not as appropriate for this purpose.
      oh really. why? it is the song about the importance of german unity. its not about hating anyone else.

Comment

Yeah, but how's that relevant to the matter of beating Brazil? It's not, whereas "Deutschland über alles" is.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

What, opera singers can't be beautiful? I know some gorgeous ones (not, of course, including myself... )
          haha
          lets change it to 'it ain't over until a fit svelte lady sings...'

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            Some of us could complain about how Meier helped the Germans, particularly Linke should have been given a red. Klose should have gotten a yellow for diving, the other German player did.

But we don't.
            You just did...

Comment

The Sun always shines...

There must be a conspiracy!
              South Korea 0 Germany 1

KAHN you believe it! Our friends from the Fatherland are in the World Cup final again.

Yes, crack open the pils, get in the sauerkraut und schnitzel - it's party time!

Victory over South Korea was the result the whole of England had been dreaming of and now we're backing those nice Germans to go all the way - er, we think NOT!

Just 10 months after Our Boys gave Oliver Kahn and his pals the mother of all beatings in their own Munich backyard, the country that made diving an art form are in sight of a fourth World Cup crown.

And forget the conspiracy theories surrounding South Korea's progress at the tournament, just take a look at the Germans' cakewalk into the final.

They have beaten the might of Saudi Arabia, Cameroon, Paraguay, USA and now South Korea! The only half-decent side they faced were the Republic of Ireland and Germany were lucky to escape with a draw!

While the brave England boys who hit five past Kahn on that unforgettable day last September lick their wounds after losing to Brazil, the horrible Herrs are marching into Yokohama on Sunday.

Michael Ballack's 75th-minute winner was enough to end the South Korean fairytale and set up a final showdown against Brazil or Turkey.

It's enough to make you weep!

Comment

Germany were lucky to escape with a draw!

Erm... which side was it that scored in the 93rd minute?
                yada

Comment

I think I'm actually going to support the Germans. Just to prove I'm above such petty rivalries, and to enable me to be smug and condescending to less enlightened people.
                  yada

Comment

Actually, no. It was created as a folk song with 3 verses. "Deutschland Deutschland über alles" are the first words of the first verse. With "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" begins the third.
                    Created in 1848 on Heligoland. That's why Germany bought/traded it with England in the late 19th century and that's why after WWII one tried to bomb the island under water. Solid rocks

Anyway, the third verse now is the national anthem, I don't know why they refused the first verse, the second contains some geographical references which were true in 1848 but not in 1948. It's not illegal, however, and you'll piss off Polish people more than Germans when you sing the second verse...
                    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

• Interesting...I always assumed the verses were written when Hadyn wrote the melody, back in the late 1700s.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Nah, Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben wrote them.

And welcome to page 3 in classic and page 11 in Ecth view.

Comment

• Sorry, there is a tiny bit of misinformation, should have been surfing before posting:
                          - The first verse contains the geographical references, the second verse isn't exactly fitting for a national anthem (although I had liked it )

"Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue,
                          Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang ..."

- The text is written by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben in 1841 (not 1848)

- The music is written by Franz Josef Haydn (1732-1809) as the second movement of his string quartet op. 76, Nr. 3, G major, "Kaiserquartett", 1797

- There was an "original" text known to Haydn (or he even made the music for this text) "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser", which was made in honour of (I guess) Franz II. , along "God save the King/Queen". Franz II. was the last Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire from 1792 to 1803 (for Austria until 1806). Later adapted for many (Austrian) Emperors.

Comment

• Ecthelion, page 11? What is the actual web browser for the C64 in 320x200 resolution?

Comment

• It's just a matter of speed, comfortability and ... well, Ãœbersichtlichkeit.

Comment

Working...
                              X