Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korea vs. Germany

[Let's start with some words from Pele...]

"Korea deserves a place in the final more than Germany as it beat Poland and Portugal in the first round, then beat Italy in the second round and then Spain in the quarterfinal," he said. "Germany was a bit lucky to get into the semifinals especially as it didn't really deserve to beat the United States, who were robbed of a penalty."

"It would be wonderful for the sport if Korea makes it to the final. It lacks a little experience, but it has compensated with heart and courage," said 61-year-old Pele.

The Korea Herald is South Korea’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network (ANN).
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

I'm Rooting for Korea, just because they ARE the Underdog.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Let's hope the referee doesn't win this one.

Comment

[I also hope for a crystal clear result. Looks like this game will get the best ref in the world?]

Collina, 42, from Viareggio, has already refereed two matches at the finals including the highlight clash of the first round which ended in a 1-0 group F win for England over Argentina.

He also handled co-hosts Japan's exit 1-0 at the hands of semi-finalists Turkey in the second round in Miyaki.

The Italian was named the best referee in the world for the fourth time in January. His impressive CV of top matches includes refereeing the 1996 Olympic final won by Nigeria.

England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson summed up his appeal: "Collina, he is a guarantee -- I guess he's one of the best, if not the best referee, in the world today."

Attached Files
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Germany all the way. They have overcome the weaknesses of their team with efficiency and discipline, and I would like to see their work rewarded.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I'll be cheering for Collina then

Comment

[A German who knows his team speaks about the upcoming game...]

'Kaiser' worried Germans' luck might run out

SEOUL, June 24 (AFP) - German football legend Franz Beckenbauer fears Germany's luck and the brilliant goalkeeping of captain Oliver Kahn might come to an end in the do-or-die semi-final clash with South Korea on Tuesday.

"To put it bluntly, of we did not have Olli Kahn we would have been sent home a long time ago," warned the man known as the Kaiser.

"We've barely scraped through in every match except for the match against the Saudis, who practically invited us into their goal.

"We're going to have to play a lot better in the semi-finals," he complained.

Comment

Germany all the way.

Korea will get incinerated. And this time it will be something like 6-0 in favor of Germany.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Germany will win it. Kahn is utterly amazing in goal.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think the Koreans are to fast and well conditioned.
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                      Germany all the way.

Korea will get incinerated. And this time it will be something like 6-0 in favor of Germany.
                      Care to make a monetary bet on that point spread?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Care to make a monetary bet on that point spread?
                        I already have. If Korea somehow wins (which is like .000000000001 in 1,000,000,000,000,00......... infinite I mean) then I would be $10 US Dollars less.

If Korea plays as lousy as it did against Spain, I wouldn't be surprised if Germany made 8 goals and Korea zippo.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Not on the outcome, on the point spread...6-0 is a ludicrous number. Considering how Germany has played in the past, the best you will see is 2-0 Germany win. Maybe. Perhaps 2-1 or 1-0 would be more likely, if Germany wins at all.

You're letting your ire over Korea cloud your judgment.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

My ire over Korea will always continue and never end because of the last game Korea played so illegiminately.

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                              illegiminately.
                              Awww, that was so cute!
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X