No announcement yet.

French movies kick ass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was "last tango in paris" french? I remember it was spoken in french but with english subtitles. Does that make it french?
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

"generally holywood is w@nker brain, junk food for the mind easy crap."

How do you judge that? The Hollywood-funded films that came out last year were quite strong in story.

1) LOTR (NZ/US) had a little too abrupt editing, but a capable film version of a great story.

2) A Beatiful Mind had a great story which was very well told.

3) Moulin Rouge (Australia/US) was inventive. Fresh and original. An excellent story.

Mulholland Drive (France/US); Black Hawk Down; Gosford Park (Italy/US/UK/Germany); Monsters Ball.

Most of these were done in the Hollywood system and are damn good stories.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"Was "last tango in paris" french?"

Italian/French.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Did I mention that it was complete and utter filth?

Comment

It so was so filthy, I was disturbed. Shocking, really.

Comment

Lord of the rings....

sorry but just for including this one, you're gone my friend.

this is something for my 13 year old cousin to be happy about.
              and for me to see what can be done, tecnhically to transfer the book to film..

see there are 2 words for "entertainment" in greek

one is diaskedasi which is basically what you mean by entertainment and it is considered a lower form of it

the other is psychagogia and a similar word does not exist in the english language. a translation would be "guidance of the soul".

soul fulfilling cinema.

hollywood is just diaskedasi. and its most important ambassadors are movies like spiderman and the titanic.
              sure ther exist jewels but these are in the margin of the whole thing.

movies that broaden your horizon that talk about real things straight to your sould, uplift your inner psyche and leave you feeling more "complete" after wathcing them

that cannot be found in a ring or a web of a spider DanS.

and you should have talked about some other hollywwod movies if you wanted to shake that image. but again they are the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                It so was so filthy, I was disturbed. Shocking, really.
                Indeed, it was incredibly loathsome and vile. It commanded a kind of morbid fascination.

For those who havent seen it, its about an american (marlon brando) who is looking for an apartment in paris. For some reason an apartment he goes to look at has a beautiful woman in it that he cant help but sexually ravage up against the wall as soon as he sees her. They have a few more brief lustful encounters without saying a word, but then when she starts wanting to talk to him he anally rapes her with some butter that was handy. Things go downhill from there.

Comment

" the other is psychagogia and a similar word does not exist in the english language. a translation would be "guidance of the soul".

soul fulfilling cinema."

You just can't bring yourself to admit that this was a crop of really great stories told in an engaging fashion. Amazing.

Comment

i'm sorry if you think that these are "great stories".

i'm afraid you have nothing to compare them with.

Comment

"i'm afraid you have nothing to compare them with."

I've watched an awful lot of movies, Paiktis. I tend to watch 4 or 5 a week. Only about 1/2 are from the US.

Trust me. These are really great stories.

Comment

i dont need to "trust you"
                        i've seen one or two of them myself. like LOTR

they're diaskedasi. i doubt you left the movie theater feeling a more complete man after seeing them
                        or if you did, well, not much point in discussing.

Comment

"i doubt you left the movie theater feeling a more complete man after seeing them"

A Beautiful Mind? Moulin Rouge? Monsters Ball?

Comment

I was at the moulin rouge a few weeks ago. The show was good in parts, but went on too long. It had some really awful parts too. OH, you were probably talking about the movie....never mind...

Comment

i haven't seen them so i cant judge.
                              as ive already said some movies from hollywood are indeed worthwhile and fewer are even masterpieces, but they are the exception.

i have no problem saying that they exist (duh! im always on the look out for them) but 95% of hollywood is w@nker mind stuff. and hollywood has become identified with it.

Comment

"i haven't seen them so i cant judge."

But you did judge. You dismiss them, saying "they're diaskedasi." You go on to say "but 95% of hollywood is w@nker mind stuff." Did you even watch much of the good stuff from the past year?

Doesn't seem like you did. Rather, it sounds to me like you're being pretentious. (That one's for you, Boris .)

Comment

Working...
                                X