No announcement yet.

French movies kick ass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mannon of the Spring was pretty good. I didn't like the sequel as much.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned The Return of Martin Guerre. One of the most interesting movies I've ever seen.

Also really liked Dear Inspector, with Annie Girardot as a french homocide investigator. The American remake was not nearly as good. There was a sequel entitled Jupiter's Thigh, which I have not seen.
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

cyrano de bergerac is truly a masterpiece. the french version theone with departieu. the english version is a complete disgrace, i almost fell off my chair laughing when i saw it. stil to 2 lock stock and smoking barels, way better genre for english cinema.

the book of cyrano is also a must to those who can grasp some french.

in contrary with axi i really enjoy scandinavian cinema, whicxh is not onl;y ber5gam

p.s. dont mind my spelling

Comment

also greek cinema has seen a rivaval. too bad it is not known outside. (and imn not talking about angelopoulos - and not about safe sex either)

Comment

dank u marcus

Comment

You're way too harsh. If you look over the years, Hollywood does exceptionally well at story telling. Otherwise, Hollywood would never have been successful.
            the reason Hollywood is so succesful is because it appeals to the general public. Big names, big budget, cool special effects, not too complex storyline. And the public eats it up.

Just look at Titanic, Attack of the Clones, Indenpendence Day, Mission Impossible 2, etc. All huge box office block busters. Very succesfull, but not that much when it comes to a good story line.

And there are some exceptions. Yet they aren't nearly as popular as the rest usually.

And please stop saying that Hollywood is so succesful because of their story telling skills. Makes you look silly

dank u marcus
            any time
            Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

the top movies of the last years (worldwide grosses)

2002 Spider-Man $433.8
              2001 Harry Potter $965.8
              2000 Mission: Impossible 2 $565.4
              1999 The Phantom Menace $923.1
              1998 Armageddon $554.6
              1997 Titanic $1,835.1
              1996 Independence Day $813.2
              1995 Die Hard: With a Vengeance $365.0

Do you see any good story telling in these big movies? I wouldn't give any of those a score higher than 6/10 when it comes to the stories.
              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

hollywood is for stupid movies.
                that's why they call it hollywood.

stupid movies are good for relaxation and for w@anking your brain.

sometimes we need them also.
                but dont expect anything grat to come out of it.
                it is just like hamburgers, junk food for the mind.

exceptions are few IMO

Comment

hollywood is great
                  Attached Files

Comment

Spider Man, Harry Potter, and Titanic were all top-notch stories.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

please

Comment

(in no particular order)

1)Alien
                        2)Star wars
                        3)Star Trek

I could go on but ill stop there. But these are great story lines. French movies are way to melodramatic.

Comment

I do find it funny to see the Euros try to find comfort in some elite club of opinion-makers. Namely, them. Fact is, these are some great stories that transcended cultural boundaries and that people liked a lot.

AS: The Return of Martin Guerre was good. The pacing was too slow, but overall it was a good piece of work.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

we're talking generaly.

generally holywood is w@nker brain, junk food for the mind easy crap. they are need also. someone has to do it
                            exceptions exist but we are talking about the rule

what you think of as elitism though i just think about it as real cinema.

you dont have to put people in "elitism" neat little boxes just for pointing out the obvious about hollywood DanS.

Comment

I saw "last tango in paris" (I think thats what its called) once. It was complete and utter filth! Yay filth!
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

movies that trancend cultural boundaries do NOT have to be brought down to the least common denominator and unfortunately that's what hollywood is doing.

mass cutlure is stipped down from every essence. that's why it can become "mass" -

Comment

Working...
                                X