Kenyan Tribe Learns Of Severity of 9-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red_jon
    Of course it doesn't. But the US is not the only nation to have experienced such loss.
    In the grand flow of time, the United States of America is hardly the first to suffer in such a manner.

But let's narrow the temporal parameters. The terrorist strikes we suffered on Sept. 11, 2001, overshadowed any sort of violence that the Western world had experienced on its home soil since the end of World War II. More than 3,000 people died in a matter of an hour or so on the soil of a Western nation due to multiple terrorist attacks.

On that day, the people living in the United States became reacquainted with the rough ways of the world, and three generations — namely, my parents' "Baby Boomer" generation, my own Generation "X" and the follow-on Generation "Y" — became genuinely intimate with the ways of terror and war in a fashion not seen since the last soldiers returned from fighting in the Pacific in the waning months of 1945. Not even the Korean War or the Vietnam War had such an impact on us in terms of body count w/i the 50 states. After all, North Korea and North Vietnam were unable to touch the homeland of America.

In a manner of speaking, the events of Sept. 11, 2001, catapulted many Americans into "veteran" status in terms of knowing the savageness of terrorism. The more than 3,000 bodies from the strikes in New York City, Washington, D.C., and that field in Pennsylvania served as an "excellent" wake-up call, hmm?

With this in mind, I always find it a bit draining to see those who consider themselves the consciousness and/or enlightened minds of Europe post in such bitter terms when they disagree with whatever America is undertaking in the post-Sept. 11 world. For better or worse, they have little to no experience when it comes to massive terror strikes that claim thousands of lives in the span of an hour. For them to sit there and pass judgement on us to easily and bitterly is ... disheartening.

And don't you DARE spit out Europe's past experience with war as being a reason to judge America with that haughty we-know-better-than-you attitude. You, as in your generation and your parents' generation, don't know what war is. Your grandparents — those who fought against Hitler and Mussolini — would know of what America goes through today. Being savagely attacked w/o warning, w/o mercy and using civilian aircraft as the weapons of choice is something they would know of, except that at least Hitler and his blitzkrieg didn't use civilian planes against civilian targets.

Prior to Sept. 11, myself and many of my fellow Americans were like that, too. Sure, we had the Persian Gulf War, Vietnam and Korea. But none of that touched our home soil, so to speak. We were "innocent" to a degree, perhaps blindly and naively so. But the shocking events of that grim day have catapulted us into a gritty new reality, one that a good part of the world has never had the opportunity to leave, much less re-enter. But re-entered we have, and not happily so. People jumping from flaming skyscrapers, engines on the passenger jets revving as they closed in on their targets, the desperate last calls from the trapped aboard the planes and in the towers, the firefighters, police and rescue personnel all racing into what would become their graveyard. All of that greased our passage back into "the real world." The world where your enemy really does hate you and can kick you in the balls at any time w/o feeling any sense of outrage or dishonor. And then they can plunger a dagger into your back while you're stooped over.

My European acquaintances and friends, I submit to you that you haven't an inkling of what America is going through now. You are now where we were prior to Sept. 11: on the outside looking in, experiencing at a distance what we now know again so up-close-and-personal. But rest assured: You, too, are in the targeting scope of al-Qaida and its associates. They're gunning for you, just as they are for us. Logic and reason are not their tools, and they will *not* listen to it in turn. May it be so that Europe never has to have its own Sept. 11 to finally understand how America was transformed on that terrible, dark, day.

Chastise us if you must. One of the great powers of the Western World is its ability to communicate w/o fear of being silenced. But, please, do so only while taking into account the events of Sept. 11.

And talk to your grandparents.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

And don't you DARE spit out Europe's past experience with war as being a reason to judge America with that haughty we-know-better-than-you attitude. You, as in your generation and your parents' generation, don't know what war is. Your grandparents — those who fought against Hitler and Mussolini — would know of what America goes through today. Being savagely attacked w/o warning, w/o mercy and using civilian aircraft as the weapons of choice is something they would know of, except that at least Hitler and his blitzkrieg didn't use civilian planes against civilian targets.
      3000 civilians have been killed in Ireland as a result of American funded terrorism. Look at the Basque seperatists in Spain. Look at the wars in the Balkans. We've seen many awful events occur on our continent that one particular event isn't as significant to us and it is to Americans.
      Visit http://www.civgaming.net/

Comment

"3000 civilians have been killed in Ireland as a result of American funded terrorism"

since when did we start funding terrorism?

EDIT: can you give an example of an attack funded by America? Oh and don't leave out any details I want to know exactly how you figured this one out.

Comment

AFAIK, a lot of money comes from American-Irish.

Comment

where's your proof?

EDIT: the I "heard" thing, doesn't hold water
            Last edited by Space05us; June 4, 2002, 05:48.

Comment

Gatekeeper, it really isn't logical to blame people for the we-know-better-than-you thing, while posting stuff like "I submit to you that you haven't an inkling of what America is going through now". What you're saying is that a given European cannot comprehend the situation which is an extremely arrogant point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                where's your proof?

EDIT: the I "heard" thing, doesn't hold water

enough for you?

Comment

Touche my friend

Comment

Touche my friend

but I do not agree with those people who fund such things.

Comment

Good ol' BBC

Comment

btw thanks for opening my eyes to that

Comment

It's not really surprising that it occurs given the amount of Irish people in the States...it's scary for both sides of the pond though.

Comment

Originally posted by FrantzX
                            And for red_jon's next trick, he will go to a US WWII vet who was stationed in Pearl Harbor, say, "HA! You bastards deserved it!", and get his ass kicked by a 80 year old vet.

Pearl Harbour was bad, but in the grand scheme of things it's a good thing it happened - what if the US hadn't joined the war? Mainland Europe would never have been liberated (or if it had it would have been Soviet) and even more people would have died.

Comment

no England would have lasted long enough for Hitler to make enough stupid mistakes ti were they could kill him. and besides no one truely liked the guy, well maybe a few people did, but his own generals hated him.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                                Yeah, I think Slowwhand's point is that it was really nice for them to show some sympathy towards the US, it's just normal people being compassionate about other normal people. Which is always nice to see.

I saw this thing on TV last night and I could not believe my eyes. It's really over the top. Next thing, Masai will be explained current tensions in Kashmir, and in the next installment they will argue whether to support Bush or Arafat.

if we are to educate masai, i propose a crash course on hiroshima, dresden, etc. i would also like to hear their opinion on srebrenica.

Comment

Working...
                                X